Visa for USA

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Visa for USA

Post by Big Boy »

I am asking this for a friend. This is something I haven't done since 1981, so things have probably changed.

My friend was applying online for an American visa yesterday. He is British. He did everything, including scanning copies of his passport. At the end of the process, he was told it was under consideration, and he should check back in a few days.

The bit that confused me was that he didn't have to provide his actual passport. My question is how do they get the visa into the passport? In my day it was a nice stamp onto one of the pages. In subsequent years with other countries I've seen stickers with holograms etc stuck to pages.

So do the USA have a sophisticated visa that doesn't require a passport, or has my friend missed an important step in the process?

I'll be honest, and say that I didn't realise the USA still issued visas for 2 week visits by Brits.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Visa for USA

Post by Ginjaninja »

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Mine was instantaneous... actually forgot to do the ESTA prior to travel and was forced to do it at the check-in desk. Very easy. There should be machines at US end that you scan your passport prior to going through immigration. I think it prints out your ESTA and you hand it in the passport control counter.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I travelled last year from Glasgow to JFK,but you had to have Esta confirmation before your boarding pass was issued at the airport.I received confirmation in less than 24 hour from applying,was extremely straight-forward.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you. so he's applied for an ESTA, not a visa - it looks a lot different.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Yes correct,all electronic now,not like in the good old days where another page of your passport was used up each time you travelled,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very simple now,and all the checks are carried out quickly.Your friend should receive confirmation soon.