Watching out for the thieves

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Watching out for the thieves

Post by buksida »

I must live in a bad neighbourhood as our house has had several things go missing from the front yard (including a brand new motorbike) in the time I’ve lived there. Their attitude seems to be “they are farangs, they can afford it, lets go rob themâ€
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I suppose a lot really depends on the neighbourhood. I've heard of areas which are perfectly safe and areas where nothing remains with their rightful owners. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood) both in Bangkok and now here in HH. What ever has been stolen from me has happened in different ways (pick pocket once and an ex once). :lol: :oops: 8)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This original thread is 2 months old now. Since then, anyone have any other bad experiences either with theft at home or pick pocket etc? This is tourist low season and subsequently theft high season. Pete
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Actually the thread is one year and two months old. I have heard of robbery(ies) in Dusit Land area (on the way to Pala U) and a friend of mine who lives there reported that somebody had actually been inside his compound early one morning. A neighborough had spotted the man who after beeing noticed had ran away.
CliveNixon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by CliveNixon »

Their attitude seems to be “they are farangs, they can afford it, lets go rob them”
When I first put in a long stay in Pattaya (Many moons ago now) I lived over near the railway in a very Thai (for Pattaya) neighbourhood.
I had a full toolbox, a very decent pushbike, my gazebo, 2 lots of decent garden furniture, various pot plants and gardening tools, and a load of decent fishing gear nicked and this was in the first 2 months.

The attitude of my neighbours when they found out was one of absolute apathy and being proficient in Thai I could more than understand their comments which echoed Buksida's quote above 100%.

I suppose some of the things I was plain stupid to leave outside (although they were covered and the bike was chained)
I guess it came with the territory there as well seeing as most of those in my neighbourhood worked in the seedier side of the tourism industry in some way or other (Whores, Ex whores, whores mothers, and moto boyfriends of whores- you get the picture) but theres still no excuse.

The only other Farang on the estate would come around most evenings for a few beers also had had a load of small items go missing and told me he just kept everything indoors now.

I started to do this even to the extent of bringing in my garden table and chairs every evening (and these were just plastic ones after having had 2 lots of nicer sets nicked) and as soon as I started doing this I began to get really shitty looks and those snide comments, as only Thais can do, when I was around the neighbourhood. One day I heard that my mates wife had been in the local shop and heard some old dog asking her mate why the Farangs don't leave anything out for them to take anymore!

Needless to say I was up and away to a more Farang freindy part of Patters within a week.

On the other hand I've lived in quite a few other parts of Thailand where I have been the only Farang around (apart from my ex missus that is) and never had a thing go missing.

I suppose at the end of the day, if you live in a place where people's mentalitly is that you are a sex crazed walking wallet then expect the worst. If however you can get the people's respect where you live and they see you in a different light then you will be treated very well.