Shirt Colour

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Shirt Colour

Post by Big Boy »

When I was last in Thailand (2 years ago :oops: :cry: ) it was fashionable to wear yellow shirts with (what I think was) the the King's crest on the pocket. My whole family purchased at least one, including an outsized one for me.

Last week my (Thai) wife wore hers while shopping in the UK. She went into a (Thai owned) Oriental shop. The owner of the shop had quite a go at my wife saying those shirts are no longer worn in Thailand, and shouldn't be worn in the shop.

I am wondering:

- Is there any truth in this?

- If there is, what is the reason? Is it a red/yellow shirt thing?

My reason for asking is my wife has just received a nice version of a yellow shirt with the crest (a bit classier than the ones we already had) through the post. Will there be a problem if she wears it in Thailand?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Re: Shirt Colour

Post by PeteC »

Nonsense. If me I would permanently boycott that shop. On Mondays here you see thousands wearing yellow, the traditional day for the King's colors. I can't speak for Issan but probably not advisable these days, but everywhere else no problems that I've seen or encountered. Spitfire, what do you see up where you are? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Still worn in Hua Hin. More on a monday I believe( Kings birth day?)
Blue tommorow Queens birthday ( and birth day ).
The yellow worn by PAD I believe is to strengthen their allegiance to the Crown.
no more dePreston
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Agree Pete, total bollox.

The locals, like government workers etc, seem to like pink shirts too with the same King's logos on them now over here, mainly due to the fact that HM appeared in a pink suite on his public appearance from hospital a while back, but it's either or.

However, you still see plenty of yellow ones around too and there is no reason why the guy should have got all mouthy about wearing a yellow one, I still wear a yellow one over here sometimes and no-one says zip to me.

It is possible that there was more to it than just this as to why he got in a strop, maybe he just doesn't like Thai women who marry foreigners.

IMO, she hasn't done nothing wrong and haven't heard of anything here that backs that up.

He's the one with the issue, give him a tissue next time.
Last edited by Spitfire on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Since the problem between the yellows and red we have been told to avoid wearing yellow (except on a Monday) or red when in Bangkok. Pink is seen as the King's colour these days in a lot of areas.

However I cannot see that your wife would run into any trouble wearing yellow in HH!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks guys for your quick responses - nice to know the world hasn't gone completely mad - yet :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

All of the Thais I've met in Luxembourg have been from Issan, so it could be that it was a Red shirt supporter who got upset with your wife BB.
Some of them have been here over 25 years and have established Businesses with family and friends.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:All of the Thais I've met in Luxembourg have been from Issan, so it could be that it was a Red shirt supporter who got upset with your wife BB.
Some of them have been here over 25 years and have established Businesses with family and friends.
That's not too far off from what I'd been thinking. :cheers:

Points 48; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Had it been my wife, I would have told the shop owner that THIS IS THE UK not bloody Thailand.

Then told him to stick his thumb up his bum and climb up to his elbow.

:guns:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

The owner of the shop had quite a go at my wife saying those shirts are no longer worn in Thailand, and shouldn't be worn in the shop.
Cheeky cow! Your wife should have given khundon's advice -
THIS IS THE UK not bloody Thailand.
Its not often the tables are turned and we get to put Thais in their place... 8)
www.35mmview.com
sfirish
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sfirish »

I try not to wear yellow or red shirts anymore while in Thailand. In U.S. gangs are associated by colours like red and blue. Its crazy to think that wearing a certain colour can sometimes get you into unknown trouble
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

My reason for asking is my wife has just received a nice version of a yellow shirt with the crest (a bit classier than the ones we already had) through the post. Will there be a problem if she wears it in Thailand?
It's not one of these is it BB?
Attachments
article-1302018-0AB86415000005DC-971_468x286.jpg
article-1302018-0AB86415000005DC-971_468x286.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 830 times
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

sfirish wrote:I try not to wear yellow or red shirts anymore while in Thailand. In U.S. gangs are associated by colours like red and blue. Its crazy to think that wearing a certain colour can sometimes get you into unknown trouble

Now I know why we see so many beached whales strolling around topless in Hua-Hin :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:It's not one of these is it BB?
Please credit Mrs BB with some pride - Bristol City??? No way. :guns:

Points 48; Position 18
cbranscombe
Amateur
Amateur

Post by cbranscombe »

I read that Thais, especially of Chinese descent, have a very strong belief for Feng Shui Colours (The Science of the Wind and Water) and that each day is attributed to a certain colour as well as an auspicious planet.

The list was as follows:-

Sunday Phra Arthit (Sun God) Red
Monday Phra Jan (Moon God) Yellow
Tuesday Phra Angkarn (Mars) Pink
Wednesday Phra Phut (Mercury) Green
Thursday Phra Pareuhat (Jupiter) Orange
Friday Phra Suk (Venus) Sky Blue
Saturday Phra Sao (Saturn) Violet
If you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it?