Dealing with dogs and irresponsible owners

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
OscarMike

Dealing with dogs and irresponsible owners

Post by OscarMike »

We all know that soi dogs are a huge problem in LOS but it can usually be contained if they remain in the soi. The problem comes when they encroach on your property and start destroying it. As some may have gathered I am in the process of house construction, we are a little rural and most of the neighbors have packs of dogs. These dogs have taken over our un-built property and decided to chew their way through anything they can find, we have yet to move in.

Asking a Thai family to keep their dogs in the house would be like asking an expat not to drink beer. So what solutions do I have to this problem? Building a wall is not feasible due to the size of the land, poisoning them is a last resort (but one I will consider), are there any sprays that act as deterrents or traps I can lay to give them enough pain to prevent them returning?
moja
Guru
Guru

Re: Dealing with dogs and irresponsible owners

Post by moja »

It is not only Thais who let their dogs run wild we have a Dutch woman opposite us who thinks it is her right to let her dogs run wherever they want whilst the rest of us have to keep our dogs inside our gates but that does not stop her dogs attacking ours through the gate. I know this does not help you and I am not sure what to suggest - asking for the dogs to be kept under control does not work. Maybe you should consider getting a dog of your own and hopefully they would keep the other away.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

OM, try one of those sonic noise emitter things, should piss-off a whole load of the owners, and dogs for that matter.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
wiki
Amateur
Amateur

Post by wiki »

I had 4 big 'rabid' buggers come tearing after me up by Old Siam Teak when I was on my pushbike. Luckily I am fairly fit and just managed to get away. I hate to think what may have happened if one of them had latched onto a leg!

I've considered velcroeing (is that a word?) a lead tipped club or something onto the crossbar.
Problem is, it's to late to do anything when they start chasing you.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Spitfire wrote:OM, try one of those sonic noise emitter things, should piss-off a whole load of the owners, and dogs for that matter.
I have had four of these sonic units on for the last two years and they are quite effective, not many cats or dogs in my area now. :cheers:
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Try outting up a sign saying "No dogs allowed" Might need to be in Thai as well as most dogs here do not read English. They, or at least their ancestors, were here well before we were. As for poisoning innocent animals? Your conscience chap, just do not try it with my dogs. If you cannot justify a wall right now then why not put up some inexpensive chainlink fence? What are they eating BTW as I am surrounded by multiple building sites and none of my, or surrounding dogs are causing any problems unless a bitch is in heat.

Crazy 88
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Verses 1-5 of Chap from Koh Tao, Sairee beaches 2001-2003 or approx there abouts........ :clap: :thumb:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Well well Spitfire. It appears we may have met in the past.

My best regards

Chap
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Firstly, I am a dog lover.
The Thai's will not put any animal to sleep no matter what. They will see it suffer instead which in my mind is extremely cruel. Some of thes soi dogs are in real bad shape, illness ...god know what disease etc. Really speaking it is not the dogs fault, but Thailand allowing it to carry on. When we lived at the top of soi 88 I became friends with the local dogs and they actually became good house guards, barking in the night if someone walked down the hill.
All I ask of you, is do not do anything cruel to them, causing pain and suffering, that is a bad approach.

In the soi that runs up from the railway station there is a very bad owner of a dog. It is so flea ridden it is rolling around bald and in pain, almost like it is having a fit. The Thai owner just sits and watches it, like some sadistic perverted Ba***rd :cuss: Terrible that things like this are allowed anywhere in Thailand.

Try searching through Google...maybe a solution there.

http://www.google.co.uk/searchsource=ig ... =&aql=&oq=
OscarMike

Post by OscarMike »

Thanks for the replies, any idea where I can get one of these sonic emitters? I also have a gas powered pellet gun that does the trick but you physically have to be there obviously - the trouble is happening when I'm away from the site.

They have chewed through everything from wooden fences to plastic step protectors to external plug socket covers and I'm mighty pissed off with it.

To those tree hugging animal lovers: why do you feel it is justified to kill a snake, pig, cayman, wolf or any other creature that ventures onto your property but when a ferral dog (with just as many teeth) does you are all up in arms? Would it be preferable to bust a cap in the owners (assuming there is one) ass for not taking care of his dogs?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Would it be preferable to bust a cap in the owners (assuming there is one) ass for not taking care of his dogs?
One of the problems can be that a lot of those packs of dogs aren't really owned by anyone as such.
Many Thais will feed them for reasons related to religion and reincarnation and then obviously the dogs will stay around but they didn't really choose to keep them.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Never killed a pig or a cayman or a wolf OM. Snakes only when they have been actively aggressive otherwise I just pick them up and dump them up the road or simply leave them be if not poisonous. Centipedes another story. I beat them to death immediately. My solution to stray dogs has always been to get one or two of your own that will be better fed and therefore stronger and healthier than the strays. Strays do not come near my place. They stop at a routinely, well pissed on corner of the land, growl a little bit and then slope off. I am not going to hug a tree for you but I have quite a bit of building wood left over that could be utilised towards a fence. You are welcome to it if you collect it and leave the area tidy.

Best regards

Crazy 88

Steve

0847 177 205
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

OscarMike wrote:I also have a gas powered pellet gun that does the trick but you physically have to be there obviously - the trouble is happening when I'm away from the site.
My dad bought a house in California with a dog problem. The house had a beach, all the neighbors had fenced landscaping, guess where the dogs went? A pellet gun, high window and military training meant dogs with sore hind quarters. It took a while, but the dogs eventually learned that sometimes they got 'stung' when they went on that property.

There are chemicals one can sprinkle along a line which discourages the dogs from crossing. Google 'dog repellent', but probably not sold here.
OscarMike

Post by OscarMike »

Thanks for the wood offer Crazy, will need a fair bit to keep these mutts out!

Does anyone know where i can buy one of these in Thailand? http://www.webley.co.uk/thewebleystingray.html
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

OM, you'll need a license for that. It is considered a weapon. Why not an airsoft rifle instead, they shoot 6mm plastic pellets? Having said that, there are some gun shops around the Burapha area near the Old Siam in Chinatown where you can get practically any sort of firearms (including air rifles). The airsoft guns can be found just around the corner near Klong Thom, some are quite powerful. I have an mb-01 airsoft rifle to keep the pigeons off the roof.
วินเชนท์