Voranai another good article

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Re: Voranai another good article

Post by PeteC »

I can open it use my True connection, but not TOT. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It wouldn't open for me either, not the first one or the 2nd one just posted by BG
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bamboo Grove wrote:What a great article. I hope all of you read that as it gives an insight to the Thai culture written by someone who also understands western culture. Thanks for the link, JD.
Yes, it is a great article. However, although I agree with him that it is in-bred over centuries, it also displays what I see as pure hypocrisy, perfectly displayed where he comments on the applause he received for speaking his mind!

Bambo Grove: what does the following mean please?
Thanks for the spursial insight, DM.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

It is inaccessible on TOT - need to use a proxy.

Very good read.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's thought provoking. One that stands out for me is that unless the poo yai lose that "off with their heads" demeanor there will never be a change in behavior by those beneath them who feel inferior. Hell will freeze over a million times before that happens and they relinquish their so called power, and that's why this place will stay stuck in the mud probably forever. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nereus wrote:
Bamboo Grove wrote: Bambo Grove: what does the following mean please?
Good question - I was about to look it up myself until I remembered I am a Spurs fan!
This is the way
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Yes, it is a great article. However, although I agree with him that it is in-bred over centuries, it also displays what I see as pure hypocrisy, perfectly displayed where he comments on the applause he received for speaking his mind!
I'm sure you all know that what is now Thailand is made of at least three older kingdoms: Lanna of the north, Laos of the northeast and Siam covering the rest. There are also smaller parts of other kingdoms, mainly Khmer and Mon that have had great influence in the area and in the ways people of this country think even nowadays. Thus the political partitions are so huge. The article stands for the Siamese view of looking at things. Unfortunately, not that many know about the history of the area.

You got it right DM
Bambo Grove: what does the following mean please?

Good question - I was about to look it up myself until I remembered I am a Spurs fan!
I was wrong, I thought, you had read the article. :oops:
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Superb article reflecting what we experience on a daily basis at work.

Couldn't read it on the Internet as we have a ToT connection, so had to read it on the mobile. Seriously thinking about ditching ToT, as they've also blocked our favourite download site for TV programmes. :cuss: I don't appreciate anyone deciding what I can access on the Internet.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Excellent article! Insightful and very entertaining especially his personal stories. I wish he were still with the Bangkok Post.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

One point that isn't covered in that article is why some of these traditions are still around. For instance, the example of an older waiter having to crawl to serve refreshments doesn't mention the fact that prostrating was banned in Thailand by Royal decree in 1873 as at that time it was deemed to be a primitive and oppressive custom.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Then along came Sarit Thanarat, military dictator.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I know a coupleof Thai guys whohave spent considerable time in the UK, Us or Aus. they are all very uncomfortable with things here, but do feel that the new generation is more flexible.
Interesting how few Thais have anything good to say about Singapore--they hate the orderliness and consistency of the place.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not Voranai I know, stating the obvious I know ...

It's a mess, and it's going to get messier
The military regime claimed that it had no choice but to seize power in the May 22, 2014 coup because of growing violence following the many years of political conflict.

Among its many promises were reform and reunification. It's true we have not experienced daily bombings, street protests or blockades of state offices. But can anybody, except hard-core fans of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha who clap their hands in delight if he scolds a reporter, say with certainty that the political divide has diminished?

For the lack of a better word, the situation has become messy. For nearly two years, the military regime has replaced the political volatility with general disarray. Nothing seems to go as planned. The first draft charter was rejected by the military regime itself. The second is awash in criticism and may be voted down in a referendum. On the religious front, the senior monk tipped to become the next supreme patriarch is embroiled in a tax evasion case concerning his vintage Mercedes-Benz as his saffron-robed supporters clashed with military men. A monk owning a collectible Mercedes? What has happened to non-attachment and the pursuit of spiritual enlightenment?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... et-messier
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think any of us farang who have been here for some time realize that things will NOT change any time soon. My own feeling that the old theory that America used for its VN experience/catastrophe, the Domino Theory, that China wold pick up countries in SE Asia one by one, may actually happen. Not colonise but so dominate ina neo-colonial way that they become vassal states--Laos will be the first, the HI-speed train the first move!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

buksida wrote: Nothing seems to go as planned. The first draft charter was rejected by the military regime itself. The second is awash in criticism and may be voted down in a referendum.
Call me a cynic if you will, but it sounds to me as though that is going *exactly* according to plan.