Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Marina&Sea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marina&Sea »

2 gandalfinthai

I'd like never see snakes in my garden, but your pictures are so amazing))
yabz

Re: Snakes in the garden

Post by yabz »

The only dangerous snake is the krait. This is because they sleep during the day and you might accidentally tread on them.

Its a myth that snakes are dangerous. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. They try to get out of your way if they can. Even if you get bitten its rarely fatal. In the old days the rice paddy fields were full of cobras but the farmers used to walk barefoot through the fields and never got bitten.

10,000 species go extinct every year - and they will never come back. This is the 6th and fastest extinction wave in the history of our planet. Try not to kill anything unless you absolutely have to. Alcohol, car accidents, cancer are a lot more likely to kill you than snakes.....
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

yabz wrote:The only dangerous snake is the krait. This is because they sleep during the day and you might accidentally tread on them.

Its a myth that snakes are dangerous. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. They try to get out of your way if they can. Even if you get bitten its rarely fatal. In the old days the rice paddy fields were full of cobras but the farmers used to walk barefoot through the fields and never got bitten.

10,000 species go extinct every year - and they will never come back. This is the 6th and fastest extinction wave in the history of our planet. Try not to kill anything unless you absolutely have to. Alcohol, car accidents, cancer are a lot more likely to kill you than snakes.....
May I ask what experience you have to make this statement?

The Malayan Pit Viper is reported to cause more deaths in Thailand than any other snake. I have actual experience of meeting up with a King Cobra and like most snakes when you are exercising they will attact when you approach. The Pit Viper is coiled and strikes as you pass.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I have no experience with the Cobra ( and hope I never will) but the Viper will certainly make an unprovoked attack...they will not slide and hide...full on aggression is all they know, be careful.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, the cobra I was really close to yesterday gave me a warning - rose up, hood showing and really loud hiss. When I backed off, the snake just moved away from me.
I don't think you'll get so lucky with a pit viper. They'll just have a go at you.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

This was in the garden a couple of days ago. According to Vern at thailandsnakes.com it's a striped kukri snake. It's the kind of snake I like - harmless. If you look for striped kukri on the interweb you'll find pictures of brightly coloured snakes. According to Vern, colour isn't as important as the pattern and shape. This snake could be in shed hence the lack of colour.
striped kukri snake in plain clothes.
striped kukri snake in plain clothes.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Cobra in the sink? :shock: Probably not the way to catch it, not the proper thongs, and not the proper bag. No clue what happened after it fell onto the floor as the video cuts off.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/09/16/a ... sink-video
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Pete I could not physically sit still whilst watching that video I was cringing the whole time.

Kendo. :)
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

young-monocled-cobra-copy.jpg
Young Monocled Cobra. SamorProng, Hua Hin.
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

My dog, Tam, cornered this fellow in the backyard today. A young monocled cobra.
thai-dog-cobra.jpg
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

That's a great photo Gandalfinthai! Two brave, but also rather frightened species - the heckles raised on your dog's back says it all. I must say, you were rather brave yourself taking that first close-up of the snake. Did it slither away, or did you have to 'neutralise' it?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

Vital Spark wrote:That's a great photo Gandalfinthai! Two brave, but also rather frightened species - the heckles raised on your dog's back says it all. I must say, you were rather brave yourself taking that first close-up of the snake. Did it slither away, or did you have to 'neutralise' it?

VS
I am sorry to say I had to kill it. I couldn't get the dog to back off and the snake was quite agressive. I tried to drive it away but it simply wouldn't leave, even after I hauled the dog away it hung out in the corner behind the tank and the dog went after it again (she is fearless). It had already spit in the dog's eyes. I probably shouldn't have taken the time to get my camera (30 secs) but no harm happened. I did have to wash out the dog's eyes afterward.
buksida

Post by buksida »

gandalfinthai wrote: Young Monocled Cobra. SamorProng, Hua Hin.
Stunning photo.

Shame you had to kill such a beautiful animal. There is room for both dog and snake on earth!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

If this was a "Monocled Cobra," I that the same as a "Spitting Cobra?" I thought they were different.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There is room for both dog and snake on earth!
On earth, yes but not in the same garden! My two Thai mutts go crazy if anything gets into the grounds of the house, snakes, rats, lizards, tradesmen, anything moving really.