Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately, we do have our share of snake fatalities, but that's due to our dogs, who think they're protecting us, and don't have the intelligence to tell venomous/non-venomous. I'm gradually educating Mrs BB that they do good, and we need them.

This particular little guy was brilliant once he got his confidence. At one point he disappeared through our neighbour's roof tiles. When he re-emerged, he fell. However, just like something out of a Spiderman movie, he threw out his tail, wrapping himself around the down drainpipe. Not sure if it was deliberate, but it was impressive.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Latest viper casuality by dog
Latest viper casuality by dog
viper2.jpg (87.91 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

We found this poor fella in my friend's garden hanging from the side of a floor lamp after they came back from months away. I think Golden Tree Snake but I'm no expert.

Looked like possibly he got himself stuck between the forked stick decoration on the lamp and sawed himself in half trying to wriggle free. Nasty death. He's very dried out now, I though it was just a shed skin at first.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, a dehydrated version of the one I posted a couple of days ago - definitely a Golden Tree Snake.

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Regular visitors
Regular visitors
IMG_0545.JPG (74.35 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Regular visitors
Regular visitors
IMG_0544.jpg (169.23 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Regular visitors
Regular visitors
IMG_0544.jpg (169.23 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

More regular visiters
More regular visiters
IMG_0543.jpg (185.71 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Not in the garden, although the snake must have been milked beforehand giving a dry bite, as the guy got a bite on his neck and leg though the video is well worth watching :)

Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

rsz_dsc_0537.jpg
rsz_dsc_0537.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Came across this snake this morning. Not sure what it is... thought possibly a rat snake. Perhaps someone on the forum with a good local knowledge of herpetology might able to clarify what it is.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Yes it's a rat snake and completely harmless but Thai people will kill it and enjoy their dinner.
It will bite you, no question about that, but this is the primary target (dinner) for any King Cobra, so you better be careful when you see one.
Non toxic but a really big fighter if threaten.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I'm not an expert in herpetology, but zooming in on your photo, and consulting my snake 'bible', I'm 99% sure it's a rat snake. What a lovely, harmless, handsome creature he is.

VS

Edit: Norseman beat me to it.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Thanks for the confirmation Norseman and VS. He was in a bit of a sorry state when I got him out of the pool skimmer basket. Put him in the sun for a while and he managed to disappear back into the bush.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bluesky wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 am Put him in the sun for a while and he managed to disappear back into the bush.
Good job. For me this thread is worse than the minivan accident one, just a string of pictures of dead snakes ... I wish people wouldn't kill them. :guns:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We've had quite a few survivors as I've educated myself, and ultimately my family. However, our dogs can not tell the difference between venomous/non-venomous, and we have to be pleased that they feel they have to protect us.

However, it does come down to education/absolute fear of the unknown. Because snakes can kill, if people can't be sure, they will think worst possible scenario.

I love to watch them - I'd only ever seen one 'wild' snake before moving here. Our resident Golden Tree Snake is brilliant to watch - such an acrobat. When it's active, I'll sit and watch it for hours. Going up lamposts and drainpipes is truly amazing - even better when it falls, and how it uses it's tail to save itself. You can be sure, 5 years ago that snake would have been killed immediately by my wife.

The recent incident with the banded kukri was unfortunate, and my wife panicked (I think I'd have needed clean underwear under the same circumstances :shock: ).

Points 41; Position 18
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

We had a lovely Golden Tree Snake but it came to and end with the dogs. Like BB says the dogs cannot differentiate between good and bad, but do give us protection because they have a different bark when snakes are discovered.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.