Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Snakes in the garden

Post by Bristolian »

buksida wrote:Kudos for not killing them as most Thais would have. :bow:
Never have and never will understand the need to kill animal unless it is for food or the threat to your own life is so great that you have no choice....these snakes were harmless and made my day....My wife would comment differently :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

The cat snake is mildly venomous. Not exactly sure what that means but good job for not killing them. The first snake is very common around here.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Having checked, since my encounters yesterday, apparently both snakes have venom but mild. Both are rear-fanged snakes but they are not known to be dangerous to humans.
The Spotted Cat Snake usually kills its prey via constriction. If it is able to chew on a person long enough to work its rear fangs in, it is possible that the venom could cause a minor allergic reaction, leading to swelling and itching…….Best to not let one chew on you seems the best advice :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Those are real beauties! I have a friend who sells snake tongs if they become regular visitors. I heard scattering lime wedges around the garden keeps snakes away but not sure if it really works.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

PBbeacher wrote:Those are real beauties! I have a friend who sells snake tongs if they become regular visitors. I heard scattering lime wedges around the garden keeps snakes away but not sure if it really works.
I may be interested in buying a set as I usually get a visitation at least once a month.
Do you have any details and a picture? Hopefully the tongs are long enough.
So far, all of the visitors have been quite harmless but I am no expert at identifying the good ones from the bad ones and it’s not something that you can practice easily. Better to be safe than sorry :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

And tongs or no tongs, you still have to stay well away from spitting cobras as they can spit with deadly accuracy and aim at your eyes from meters away. They nailed my dogs twice. Both dogs are soi dogs and were able to open their eyes and see again in a few days, but I'm not sure us western humans would fare as well.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Will post info on tongs tomorrow
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

For all you snake wranglers, there is an address in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16555&p=194598&hil ... gs#p194598
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Will post photos..waiting for availability info...I know he sold a lot as they are very good quality and cause no harm to the reptiles
Attachments
Snake Tongs finished 7.jpg
Snake Tongs finished 6.jpg
Snake Tongs finished 4.jpg
Snake Tongs finished 2.jpg
Batch 1 at Cha am.jpg
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

PBbeacher wrote:Will post photos..waiting for availability info...I know he sold a lot as they are very good quality and cause no harm to the reptiles
:thanks:
Look forward to price, availability and as someone who is cautious..... How long are they?
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

I got sent the spec a while ago, but cant find the email...there will be one batch coming in the next week or two, then no more until at least December. They are charging 2800B though, and say price will increase in 2014
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bristolian wrote:
PBbeacher wrote:Will post photos..waiting for availability info...I know he sold a lot as they are very good quality and cause no harm to the reptiles
:thanks:
Look forward to price, availability and as someone who is cautious..... How long are they?
If you read the link that I posted above you will see a website address, and a price. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

sh.jpg
sh.jpg (2.59 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
It dawned on me watching all the snake shows on HC and Discovery that most handlers use the above. They're probably easier to find/make than the pinching device and seem to immobilize a snake just as effectively. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

prcscct wrote:
sh.jpg
It dawned on me watching all the snake shows on HC and Discovery that most handlers use the above. They're probably easier to find/make than the pinching device and seem to immobilize a snake just as effectively. Pete :cheers:
http://www.snakegetters.com/class/handling-tools.html
http://tomsbirdfeeders.com/reptile-tips ... ake-hooks/

There are a few different devices used to handle snakes. The links above explain them and offer techniques so you won't harm the snake or yourself.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

prcscct wrote:
sh.jpg
I see it includes a "hook" on one end. But what might be missing is "brains" on the other end. For inexperienced wranglers, me thinks a pinching devise is safer for the handler. I can just imagine someone watching in fear as the snake climbs up the handle to your end.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!