"Magical" Thai Buddhist Tattoos , why do older thai hate

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: "Magical" Thai Buddhist Tattoos , why do older thai hate

Post by margaretcarnes »

You really have to admire Franks' way of telling someone that they are a delusioned dick head don't you? :wink:
I honestly couldn't have put it better - and seriously Frank you have helped to explain a lot - thank you.

One thing though that does still puzzle me is how people, whatever their faith, can come to believe that something as simple and basic as a tattoo can help to protect them from whatever harm or higher powers. If people truly believe in a particular faith - isn't that belief enough in itself to bring protection? Do we really need any visible exhibitions of faith in order for it to be valid? Isn't it supposed to be something that is inside us?

Yes I know, I've read all the Dennis Wheatley and had the Buddha strings etc etc and seen paranormal activity and survived it even without my pentangle. So I would really like to hear from the OP whether he thinks he would feel just as competant and secure now in what he wants to be without the tatts?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I suppose my words, as with so many things, are open to interpretation.
I hope those who choose to read it understand from it what they ought to.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

FH

I thought your wording was excellent Frank.

Particularly the dog treatment. From my own experience of living in a 100% Buddhist village community the dogs, chickens and all wildlife were treated as 're-born' family and as such were left to fend for themselves unless earmarked for the cooking pot. I was particular perturbed in my early days when bitches were on heat and no attempt was made to prevent middle of the dirt road gang bangs. Often it resulted in a weak and thoroughly shagged out bitch or a dead bitch. When I mentioned getting the bitches spayed at my expense they thought I was being cruel in not letting them rightfully have off springs.

Even temple animals are left to their own devices and certainly not mollycoddled by the monks or assistants
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Perhaps the Op might get a little more "spiritualized" if he shaved off his beloved "dreads" :neener:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

sateeb wrote:Perhaps the Op might get a little more "spiritualized" if he shaved off his beloved "dreads" :neener:
Rasta-Buddhism?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

http://www.liya-folio.com/kinkyhair/buddhist.html

Apparently Rasta Buddhists exist in Japan......Sayonara
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

As I have written before, I do not like tattoos. I think that in later life you may regret having them.
Re: Chard and his Buddhist Tats I think that he is under a false illusion that they will protect him.
I used to think that other "religious" tattoos such as the "Cross" were of a Christian nature. apparently not all, they are also for other interests and beliefs. Take Madonna, Madonna's performance of the song "Live to Tell" while hanging on a giant mirrored cross wearing a crown of thorns was met with strong negative reaction from religious groups. The performance at Rome's Stadio Olimpico was condemned as an act of hostility toward the Roman Catholic Church by religious leaders. Personally, I think they are right to think this way.
An example of tattoos that uses the cross would be special designs that are indicative of a specific organization. For instance, a motorcycle club that was formed among a group of Christian adherents might choose to integrate a cross in the tattoo design that all members choose to get. In same manner, faith based groups of cowboys or stock car racers might also choose to design a tattoo that has the symbol of the cross. The same is true for any type of group that comes together and chooses to integrate religion as part of their corporate identity.
Anyway, avoid them is my advice :wink:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

It is a very personal choice Siani, and there's some brilliant tattoo artwork now. Must admit I don't like to see full sleeve or leg tatts though. From a distance they can look as if people just haven't washed.
Personally I was already 'grown up' when I had mine. I figured 50 was old enough, and haven't regretted it. I'd probably have another if a design caught my eye. But I have 2 rules - they shouldn't show in work clothes, and they shouldn't be in places known to bloat or sag!
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

I have two propellers on my bum that spin when I'm happy. My Guru scolded me for this misuse of magic.

For the tattoo faddists, who may have a moment of regret, it might cheer you up to know the 'World's Sexiest Man', not so long ago, was Sean Connery.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

......and they shouldn't be in places known to bloat or sag!
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 752 times
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Where is the OP response wise?

Given up and convicting us all of being narrow minded posters?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
BingoBango
Banned
Banned

Post by BingoBango »

[Mod Edit] This forum can viewed by anybody - no need for vulgarities. Please take more care before posting.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

margaretcarnes wrote:It is a very personal choice Siani, and there's some brilliant tattoo artwork now. Must admit I don't like to see full sleeve or leg tatts though. But I have 2 rules - they shouldn't show in work clothes, and they shouldn't be in places known to bloat or sag!
I do think it a shame, when you see a pretty girl wearing a pretty sleevless pink top or a swimsuit and on her back is a huge ugly tattoo of a dragon in bright red, green, orange etc. She is now restricted to wearing clothes that co-ordinate with the tattoo and colours she choses. I would hate to not be able to change it, I know I would tire of it, like old faded wallpaper. I think there are many women who in "the heat of the moment" have "Brian" tattooed on the arm and 3 months later end up with Jack :cry: Poor old Jack has to live with Brian or an old scar forever :?
I also think the likes of David Beckham, Brad Pitt look better without them.
Anyway, each unto their own, but not for me :)

Think Chard has gone off somewhere :shock:
Attachments
front-body-tattoos-Style.jpg
front-body-tattoos-Style.jpg (76.71 KiB) Viewed 652 times
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Think Chard has gone off somewhere....
Perhaps he succumbed to our collective barrage of cynical negativity.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

STEVE G wrote:
Think Chard has gone off somewhere....
Perhaps he succumbed to our collective barrage of cynical negativity.

Or he's gone for another tattoo.

Actually Steve that's really good - 'collective barrage of cynical negativity' ! Brill.