The 'Average' Thai

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

The 'Average' Thai

Post by Jaime »

Many of us who post on this site allude to the 'typical' Thai or 'average' Thai when discussing Thai attitudes to various things. I have just done it myself in another thread and it got me thinking...

How would one define the 'average' Thai?

Any suggestions?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've waited a bit before replying to this for fear of it turning into another big generalisation thread but since nobody else has I'll have a shot.

The 'average' Thai taken from people where I live and those that I have encountered:

Has extremely strong family values and connections.
Is educated to high school or above (bor 6).
Works locally and earns between 8 and 14 thousand baht.
Enjoys social events and gathering with friends.
Values status through achievement and material posessions.
Enjoys western movies and culture but remains nationalistic and patriotic.
Does not like to speak about politics, authority or royalty.
Will take the easiest path to solve an issue.

There ... now someone else have a go.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I don't think you can *really* generealise. You've got to see which particular cross-section you're examining, then you've got your average for that cross-section.

Example: most of my wife's colleagues are holders of at least one degree, many (including her) have their masters. Their salary range is in the upper five figures to some way into six.

On the other hand, a lot of the workers (some at the workplace, others with our subs) may have a primary six education, though some may drop out a lot earlier. If I am not mistaken, it is only after this point (Por 6) that they have to pay for an education. Some are lucky to even start at 3 thousand baht, most are daily rated at less than two hundred baht a day.

The common things seem to be:
* social group gatherings that includes consuming lots of alcoholic beverages. Even though some don't actually drink, they still join in. This includes funerals.

* they tend to equate status with new material possessions and brand names like BMs and Bendz. Emphasis on the word 'new'.

* family connections and values, yes. Strong? I've seen quite an abundance of 'mia noys' across the whole spectrum :roll: . Many tend to abandon the old family in preference for the new, if discovered.

* 'face' is valued above everything else.

* conflict, especially in public, is avoided at all costs. It relates a lot to 'face'. Don't believe all that shouting and moaning on the regular TV soaps, it doesn't happen in real life. Which is why I don't watch TV.

* calling a close friend a 'brother' or a 'sister'.

* They know their social standing. The two groups in the example above keep their venues seperate. By choice. The only time you may see them together is at the company dinner, and even then, at seperate tables...

Oh, and I totally agree about them taking the easiest path to solve an issue - most of the time they try to shove it under the bl*%!y carpet!
Well, at least they smile while trying to do it... :mrgreen:

That's why we're in a bit of a limbo; while we can interract with most of the social strata, one lot, when seeing us with another lot of another social stratum will either think us stupid to mix with that lot, or be seen as social leeches with our head in the clouds. :|

Keep smiling, mates. It's still a lovely country, lots of lovely smiling maidens, they all seem to be smiling at me.

Now, where's my beer? :cheers:
วินเชนท์