Is a foreign baby born here entitled to Thai passport?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Is a foreign baby born here entitled to Thai passport?

Post by blue05 »

if a foreign couple live here and have a baby would that baby be entited to a Thai passport and would they be a Thai national?

or does the visas prevent this?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai National Question

Post by Dannie Boy »

blue05 wrote:if a foreign couple live here and have a baby would that baby be entited to a Thai passport and would they be a Thai national?

or does the visas prevent this?
If both parents are non-Thai then the baby does not qualify for Thai citizenship, you have to apply at the embassy of your home country (I think British in your case) and obtain a British passport for the baby. I believe that if one of the parents are Thai then you can if you wish registries the baby as a Thai citizen, but if you chose, you can register the baby as a citizen of the foreign parent.
PeteC

Re: Thai National Question

Post by PeteC »

If a baby is born here and one parent is Thai, Thai citizenship is automatic and I don't think you can avoid it. The hospital issues a certificate of birth and the child must then be registered at the government office within xx time after birth. In most cases the child also has automatic citizenship for the country of the foreign parent. Birth documents to be presented to the appropriate embassy to register the birth of a citizen in a foreign country. There are probably exceptions to this but I've never heard of any. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: Is a foreign baby born here entitled to Thai passport?

Post by Terry »

You have now Pete :shock:

I'm Brit and Mrs.T is Thai.

Our two sons were born here in Thailand

They are Thai Nationals and possess Thai Passports

They CANNOT be UK citizens unless they go to UK on a settlement Visa and stay for at least 3 years.
British citizenship is NOT theirs by right, but they can possess UK passports. This has been so since 1982

But - if you go as an illegal immigrant then I understand that these days you are treated somewhat better................. :roll:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Terry wrote:You have now Pete :shock:

I'm Brit and Mrs.T is Thai.

Our two sons were born here in Thailand

They are Thai Nationals and possess Thai Passports

They CANNOT be UK citizens unless they go to UK on a settlement Visa and stay for at least 3 years.
British citizenship is NOT theirs by right, but they can possess UK passports. This has been so since 1982

But - if you go as an illegal immigrant then I understand that these days you are treated somewhat better................. :roll:
I just checked my son's passport and it states under Nationality : British Citizen and place of birth as Bangkok. He also has a Thai passport
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

My two sons also have British birth certificates and passports which I guess makes them citizens.

Children born to foreign parents in Thailand are not entitled to Thai citizenship.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son was born and raised in the UK, and obviously has a British Passport. It wasn't until he was 21 (when he decided he wanted to move with us when we retired to Thailand) that we registered his birth at the Thai Embassy in London. He now holds dual nationality.

[Edit] Sorry, should have said Thai mother (also dual nationality) and English father.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

The question of a baby born outside the UK to a British parent(s) is more complicated than that, it depends much on lineage.

For example the children of my son who was born to a British father and Thai mother in the Netherlands must be born in the UK if they are to maintain their right to UK citizenship.

As always check with the Embassy for the real facts.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I wouldn't imagine a child of foreign parents is entitled to Thai citizenship, but it would be interesting to see how it pans out in reality considering that you will be issued with a Thai birth certificate.

Actually I'm not sure how the law works in my own country regarding matters like this. I do know however that my kids are entitled to SA passports and SA citizenship. All that is required is a copy of my passport; my wife's ID and their birth certificates translated into English.

Seeing that I've already drifted off topic, does anyone know if there is a place in Hua-Hin that can provide me with a translated marriage certificate and birth certificates that will be accepted by an embassy.

Thanks
:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
thepalmbistro
Professional
Professional

Post by thepalmbistro »

Our twins were born in Bangkok, we are both British citizens. They were issued a Thai birth certificate with many more details than that of a UK certificate including a Thai ID number and star sign. When translated for the British embassy for the passports, it states in the right hand corner of the certificate. "Not entitled to Thai Nationality". They do not have a British birth certificate but do have British passports based on the certified translation.
As far as my research on Thai nationality goes, IF both my husband and I had the red book(permanent residency at the time of the kids birth, then they would have been entitled to a Thai ID card and passport.
When they get older however, if they have never lived in the UK and marry another UK citizen who was not born there either, they would have to prove to the UK embassy in whatever country they choose to live that their children are entitled to British citizenship though, which means my husband and I have to make sure they have copies of our birth certificates for them to register our future grandchildren's birth.
Oh and getting Thai Permanent residency after they were born does not allow them to change their status. But a Thai birth certificate does make it very easy to register them on a yellow book for proof of address without all the paperwork you have to get from the embassy if you hold just a passport.

Cheers
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

US citizenship and passport is granted to any child born outside of the USA to a US citizen. Relevant birth documents taken to the US Embassy where a "US Department of State report of foreign birth" certificate is issued, along with a US Passport, and application for a US Social Security ID card processed. Both parents must be physically present at the embassy. If impossible for one to be present, a lot more paperwork and interviews but it is doable. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

thepalmbistro wrote:Our twins were born in Bangkok, we are both British citizens. They were issued a Thai birth certificate with many more details than that of a UK certificate including a Thai ID number and star sign. When translated for the British embassy for the passports, it states in the right hand corner of the certificate. "Not entitled to Thai Nationality". They do not have a British birth certificate but do have British passports based on the certified translation.
As far as my research on Thai nationality goes, IF both my husband and I had the red book(permanent residency at the time of the kids birth, then they would have been entitled to a Thai ID card and passport.
When they get older however, if they have never lived in the UK and marry another UK citizen who was not born there either, they would have to prove to the UK embassy in whatever country they choose to live that their children are entitled to British citizenship though, which means my husband and I have to make sure they have copies of our birth certificates for them to register our future grandchildren's birth.
Oh and getting Thai Permanent residency after they were born does not allow them to change their status. But a Thai birth certificate does make it very easy to register them on a yellow book for proof of address without all the paperwork you have to get from the embassy if you hold just a passport.

Cheers
thanks for that, so they can become Thai nationals even if born to non Thai parents
thepalmbistro
Professional
Professional

Post by thepalmbistro »

Only if both parents are permanent residents (holders off the red book) Prior to the birth.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Bristolian wrote:...............I just checked my son's passport and it states under Nationality : British Citizen and place of birth as Bangkok. He also has a Thai passport
VERY interesting

Bristolian

May I ask - Is his mother a British Citizen?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Terry wrote:
Bristolian wrote:...............I just checked my son's passport and it states under Nationality : British Citizen and place of birth as Bangkok. He also has a Thai passport
VERY interesting

Bristolian

May I ask - Is his mother a British Citizen?
No, his mum/my wife is Thai
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain