Married vs Single

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Married vs Single

Post by Stargeezer »

Which is better, Being single wishing you were married, or Married wishing you were single?
I have a friend in his 60s who never married, and he says being single and wishing is better
because you are used to your lifestyle choice, and maybe someday it can still change.
Being Married and wishing you were single is pretty sad. It is even sadder if you have been married 2 or 3 times and are still in that situation.
Anyway I thought I would throw out this question and see other opinions.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Married vs Single

Post by dtaai-maai »

Stargeezer wrote: Being Married and wishing you were single is pretty sad.
... and yet, so easy to resolve... :?
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Stargeezer wrote:Being single wishing you were married
Does this actually apply to any man, ever?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I can't see myself ever getting married. I'm just not 'husband' material. That old ball and chain won't be coming anywhere near me. Some people enjoy their free/private time too much to sacrifice it for a nagging lass depending on you to bring home the bacon. :wink:

Also, being in Thailand, whenever you are a little lonely, it's incredibly easy to hook up with someone (no, not bar girls chaps :D ) with no strings attached - Friends with benefits.

Marriage?.... meh!

:cheers:
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

You misspelled horny
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

whenever you are a little lonely, it's incredibly easy to hook up with someone
Roel wrote:You misspelled horny
:laugh:
buksida

Post by buksida »

I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

You meet people occasionally who you can see are great together.. those people are happy..married or not.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Buksida, you hit it on the head. Thanks for making my day
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I have been single over30 years. Best advice I had after the divorce.
Marriage is like the army, it doesn't matter how much fun you had the first time, never re- enlist.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

JW wrote:You meet people occasionally who you can see are great together.. those people are happy..married or not.
buksida wrote:I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.

I think the two quotes show the answer is in "it depends on".

After divorce I ran a project called "Travels With Frank" . ended up as a 2 separate stories on some other forums. I remarried and don't regret. The 2nd time I find I got i right
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Jeremy Zero
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jeremy Zero »

I enjoy committed, exclusive realtionships, but once the conversations starts to dry, or their annoying habits drive you nuts, move on and stay happy.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A long term relationship is great, by long term I mean when they stay for breakfast.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I enjoy a committed relationship, but it has cost me dearly financially. I planned to retire at 60 with 1 million dollars in savings (and was on track to do that), but ended up getting married at 46, and retiring at 55 with a bit over 400k in savings as supporting a wife, daughter, and mother in law set me back in savings while speeding up my retirement date due to my wife wanting to live here. So I guess there are trade-offs.... depends on the person. I'm still happy to be married to her, but I wish I had worked a few years longer to build a bigger retirement nest egg to more comfortably support my wife and mother in law (who I love dearly and don't mind supporting). The other person I used to support is grown and married now and supporting herself.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I'm married for the second time, having said after my divorce that I would never get married again. It has taught me never to say 'never', again, and also that I learned more about myself in my first marriage than probably anything else. Some pretty tough lessons for the most part.

My wife now also happens to be my best friend and she's a saint to put up with some of my s**t. I know many second time around couples who are very happy and, apparently, you never leave your second wife.

Oops, there I go saying 'never' again!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde