to buy or not to buy !

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

OK, I've read the threads here, and the referenced links; but they really don't answer my questons. For those of you who have bought property just what have your experiences been and how did you go about it.

My wife is Thai, but a US citizen. So i guess that means that she cannot buy property even though she has a Thai identity card, but not a Thai passport. I'm not sure that I would want the property in her name even if we could. So some basic questions:

1. I could buy with her brothers and sisters, but I have seen enough probelms supporting the extended family. My wife's family is pretty honest, but Ihave certainly seen other situations. What have been your experiences with the extnded family?

2. I am financing a business with my wife's family. They have repaid me as we discussed, but they hate to put anything in wriing . Is this a Thai thing and how would that imapct a "family" purchase?

3. It seems to me that a 30 + 30 year lease makes the most sense. What have been your experiences with this option?

4. It also seems that setting up an LLC or other type of corporation would make even more sense, especaiily when considering property and inheritance issues. Waht have been your experiences with this option?

Thanks in advance for all responses!!!