old wives tale ?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

This has made me very very hungry.

As i write 4 pieces of toast cooling ready for my marmite.

You either love it or hate it.

Ario

Mike.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Re: old wives tale ?

Post by Jaime »

kevars wrote:Was speaking to a good friend today whom has travelled to Thailand many times , we got on to subject of mossies , he swears the best way to avoid gettin bitten is to eat some marmite before travel , apparently when its in the system and you start sweating the mossies turn their noses up ( if they have one )anyone hear of this or any other precautions ?
This made the news here in the UK a couple of years ago. Some boffin published the results of tests he had conducted which backed up the premise of the original post in this thread. Presumably he had a lab somewhere in which he force fed marmite to students, vagrants or other undesirables and then locked them in glass boxes with thousands of mosquitos.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I reckon garlic works as well.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

And if you're not hungry; why not use some insect repellent?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
cavkc
Amateur
Amateur

Post by cavkc »

Dr Dave - great post (pg 1), thanks for the pic.

Red Dwarf - Disagree with you, Vegemite is WAY better than Marmite.

Mozzies - Loath you !!! Why do you exist in the circle of life ? Does anyone know what purpose they serve ?

Cav
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Probably designed to pass on fine diseases such as malaria, dengue and possibly HIV in the right conditions

They is the work of the devil they are
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

On the mozzie front, has anyone heard that eating sweet food attracts the little blighters? Seemingly, they're attracted to the sugar on your breath. Maybe marmite on your breath has the opposite effect?? :?
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

DawnHHDRC wrote:On the mozzie front, has anyone heard that eating sweet food attracts the little blighters? Seemingly, they're attracted to the sugar on your breath. Maybe marmite on your breath has the opposite effect?? :?
Marmite on your breath? Jeez, its the other end thats a problem!!!! Keep your distance! Hang on, maybe thats the answer.........?
Talk is cheap