Items to bring when moving to Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Items to bring when moving to Thailand

Post by migrant »

Well we are getting to the one year countdown and in my never ending planning I was curious

What did you bring when you moved to Thailand that you wish you didn't (significant others don't count)??

What didn't you bring that you wish you did??

:cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: To bring, or not to bring, that tis the question

Post by Bristolian »

Items that I wish that I had brought with me would include a good quality BBQ, my good quality tools from my workshop. The emphasis is on quality. Both are available here but generally only cheaper products if you do find the real deal here they are very expensive.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It's very different now than when I came. We came one year before the move to see what was available here, which in 2003 was next to nothing. Even furniture in Bangkok left a lot to be desired, so we shipped a full 40 foot container.

Now, because of my size and brand preference, I would probably only bring plenty of hot weather clothing and the best digital camera you can get if you're into photography (as they are much more expensive here). I wouldn't even have to ship anything as I could just bring anything I needed on the plane.

Everything else is available here now so other than that bring personal items that are important to you and irreplacable like photo albums.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

We are moving this year and we will be bringing a 40ft container with all my tools, new high end BBQ, power converters, video converters and furniture that we couldn't come close to duplicating in Thailand... We decided to bring everything we would want in our one time 40ft container run... We have a looked around and decided this is our best option for us... we will get some local stuff also that we feel is a great buy and easier to get there... My wife returning home can bring her shipment in duty free so we will take advantage of that option....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My wife brought far too many clothes (especially the colder weather variety) and shoes. Apart from that, I think we got it about right.

The general rule we used was that if we took it, the total value of any box had to be greater than £40 or the item would not be available. We often used coat hangers as space fillers in boxes - OK, not essential because they are readily available here and cheap, but a real pain if you don't have them as you're unpacking. A good alternative to shipping empty space.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pensorter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pensorter »

Things I wish I'd brought the first time:
Decent potato peeler
French chef's knife or a set
Metal Potato masher
Proper full length Crowbar/ post hole shovel
German/ euro good quality 2/3 pin male & female electric plugs for power leads, plus power boards
Spade that doesn't bend on first introduction to soil!
Proper wheelbarrow ( or wheelbarrow wheel)- Surprisingly available in Malaysia- but not here!
Good quality Coffee Plunger and tea pot
Real Stainless or Brass/copper screws & tek screws various sizes
Decent drillbits
Some of these now available for a price- but still often poor quality!

Depends on what you will do or where you will live a bit- rent for a while and take notes!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

On our trip this year we plan on doing a lot of investigations.
This is all good, thanks!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just thought of another unnecessary - my son brought all (or most) of his CD/DVD collection. Most of it just sits on shelves gathering dust - rarely even looked at. He downloads all of his music/movie needs now.

Leaving that stuff behind in the UK would have saved us several tea chests. Also DVD/CD players - if you need one they're dead cheap here anyway. Movies are watched by connecting the laptop to the TV, and music is mainly played through portable devices.

Of course, music can sound awful through some portable devices.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Good quality tools as others have said, ones here are 'toys' and having a house here seems to require more maintainence/ DIY. When I come on the plane I fill the pockets of my golf bag with power tools as the weight is not included!
Extension cables/ reels with anti power surge/ trips. ( we mostly use 3 pin UK sockets aroun the house, the extension reels here are scary and I have completely melted one by accident!)
Yes to the Potatoe masher and kitchen stuff inc mixers/ blenders/ bread makers
The things that get the most use are my kindle, iPad and laptop (music & downloaded TV)
If you are going to be using scooters I would think about bringing crash helmets.
Medium weight clothes/ coats, once acclimatised you would be surprised how you can feel the cold either on the scooter or travelling up North.
Sat nav ( can download Thai maps)
Good quality Washing machine with heater for water ( something like Miele )

Things I have not used much
Golf clubs
Fishing gear
Garden vac ( I though it a good idea, but mrs says too noisy!!)
Elec BBQ ( use charcoal one)
Wine making kit (still want to give this a go)

A lot can be fine tuned as you and friends go back and forth like Tea bags, mustard, pickalili, packet sauces.

Really most things are now obtainable it's just a matter of cost and quality!

Chris
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Just bear in mind that 99 percent of this stuff can be had here now. Electronics will cost a bit more, and as for power tools, they have all the top professional brands here so I don't get that one (plus the power supply is different). If you are oversized, enough clothing to last until your next trip back to the west is good as I said.

As far as things costing more here, you have to weigh that against the cost and hassle of shipping them from the U.S. We paid around $15,000 to ship a 40 foot container full of furniture and personal items, 90% used. Nowadays we could buy pretty much everything we shipped new here (most in Hua Hin, the rest in Bangkok) for that amount of money.

I would buy the latest greatest personal electronics that I could carry on the plane (tablet, notebook, camera, personal music player, electric razor if you use one, etc.,) and clothing but not much more.

The golf bag idea is a good one. I didn't know this but I was just told recently that on most airlines (check yours) sports items don't cost extra, so I have a friend who brings a golf bag each time with one club or a broom in it with a soft travel cover just so he can cheat and fill up the bag with other (non golf) items. Check with your airline though.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

hhfarang wrote:
The golf bag idea is a good one. I didn't know this but I was just told recently that on most airlines (check yours) sports items don't cost extra, so I have a friend who brings a golf bag each time with one club or a broom in it with a soft travel cover just so he can cheat and fill up the bag with other (non golf) items. Check with your airline though.
When I was working for an airline in SE Asia we used to get people to bring out aircraft documentation in golf bags. British Airways were charging £40 a kilo for excess baggage and only £15 for a golf bag in which you could get about 30 kilos of files.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Items to bring when moving to Thailand

Post by Dannie Boy »

migrant wrote:Well we are getting to the one year countdown and in my never ending planning I was curious

What did you bring when you moved to Thailand that you wish you didn't (significant others don't count)??

I think that between the replies you've been given most of the best advice, with number one being whether your wife is Thai and eligible to bring in the shipment tax free, if not then you might not want to bring very much at all.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote:
migrant wrote:Well we are getting to the one year countdown and in my never ending planning I was curious

I think that between the replies you've been given most of the best advice, with number one being whether your wife is Thai and eligible to bring in the shipment tax free, if not then you might not want to bring very much at all.
She is Thai so tax free. Only bigger items I can think of is a favored recliner and BBQ/smoker. Good advice all, thanks! Power tools, like HHF said, may be different power supply, will have to check my chargers to see if both currents accepted
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

...a favored recliner...
I brought 5 (4 for home theater seating and one just for being a lazy boy) of those with me because they weren't available back when I came, even in Bangkok, but now there are Laz-y-boy stores and Laz-y-boy items in furniture stores all over Thailand. The only problem is they all seem to be leather (or faux leather) here and in this climate I prefer microfiber.
Thriftydrifter
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Thriftydrifter »

If anybody still needs a metal potato masher we got one in Makro last week. But we've failed to find cheap wooden spoons and spatulas! And sheets seem to be outrageously expensive compared to the UK.