Dog Meat Trade in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Help Shut Down the Illegal Dog Meat Trade in Thailand

Post by StevePIraq »

"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Help Shut Down the Illegal Dog Meat Trade in Thailand

Post by HHTel »

Until neighbouring countries outlaw the sale and production of cat and dog meat, the border trade will remain. It's not Thailand that should be targeted but the countries like China. Korea. Laos and others where it is legal. If the market wasn't there then Thailand would not be one of the suppliers.
Close the market and the suppliers will have nowhere to supply.

Horse meat is eaten in France but not in the UK. However, the UK supplies horse meat to France.

Go figure.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

HHTel you are correct about the horses 5km's from where I live the New Forest pony's get traded for as little as five hundred baht and shipped of to France it's been going on for as long as I can remember. Just google Southampton Echo and search for New Forest Horse Meat.

Going back on topic to dog meat trade in Asia it go's on all over the northern provinces. I have a house near the Cam border and have seen first hand a guy going around on a motorbike bying up dogs that are squashed into a cage that he is towing I was shocked to say the least.
My wife asked this guy where do you sell them, he told my wife they go across the border and sold at another market in Cambodia. I talked in our village about this as I felt upset by this, and was met with laughter, it turns out the dogs end up about four villages away at his families little cottage industry supplying noodle sellers locally.

Ask Steve G about the Happy Pig brand in Surin.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

You are correct Kendo. I have personally never seen any dogs being slaughtered up in Isaan, but I have seen pickups driving around exchanging plastic buckets and etc. for dogs, which are then loaded into cages and later slaughtered or sold on. My own extended family up there don't eat dog meat, but I assume this is partly due to the fact that they are quite wealthy but Isaan standards, so there is no need for them to eat dog meat. In fact, they don't buy any meet at all because they have their own fish farm; chickens, cows and etc.

Personally, the thing which disturbs me the most about the dog meat trade, is the cruelty involved when it comes to slaughtering. The actual consumption of dog meat is something which I could accept, although I wouldn't eat it. I can understand vegetarians being against it, but if you eat meat, then you need to ask yourself how is a dog any different from a pig; a goat; a lamb and etc. Yes, there can be a strong bond between man and dog, but there can also be a strong bond between man and horse, or man and pig.

Getting back to dogs...........It has been said many times on here before that the Thais will not support destroying soi dogs because of their religious beliefs. While that might be the case (and I really doubt it), I know beyond all doubt that many Thais actually loath all the stray dogs. There is acceptance, but there isn't anything more than that.Have you ever seen an adult Thai reprimanding a child for throwing stones at a dog? I certainly haven't

Generally speaking, Asians don't see dogs as being pets or companions as we do, and until that changes, most are not going to lose any sleep over the dog meat trade.

As a side note........the petition in the OP's post comes at a rather bad time. Right now, I think the government of Thailand would laugh at it considering all the bad press Thailand is getting with regards to human trafficking.

Btw Kendo, I seem to recall reading that horse meat can be, and sometimes is used in certain foods in the UK, but that it should be mentioned on labels.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Dog Meat Trade in Thailand

Post by europtimiste »

I eat beef, porc, chicken, duck, ostrich, frog, dog, horse, rat, squirrel, snake, kangoroo, crocodile, monkey, whale meat and I forgot all other animal meet I ate and eat. I do not care what animal lovers think, they simply should not eat if it hurts their feelings, but pls. do not advise others what not to eat.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

europtimiste wrote:I eat beef, porc, chicken, duck, ostrich, frog, dog, horse, rat, squirrel, snake, kangoroo, crocodile, monkey, whale meat and I forgot all other animal meet I ate and eat. I do not care what animal lovers think, they simply should not eat if it hurts their feelings, but pls. do not advise others what not to eat.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.... fishing again? I would have thought even you could have done better in the hope of a bite..... but then again :roll:

[EDIT] I've also eaten various animals (as mentioned previously), am completely 2-faced with regards to meat eating etc., but would have probably put your point of view slightly better (and spelt it slightly better) in order to avoid aggravation.

The likes of Whale Meat is a completely separate subject as the species are endangered and are critical to the Eco-system. The BS attitude of "I don't care what I eat" is a big problem...... and one which no doubt I've been part of in the past (is there a smilie for "shame")?
Last edited by pharvey on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

He forgot to mention babies...
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote:He forgot to mention babies...
8) :)

And Bullshit. :roll:
Talk is cheap
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

:troll:
Takiap yes quite a scandal here with horse meat DNA in a lot of ready meals. It seems to have stemmed from middle men in the supply chain on the fiddle.

Going back to the topic of dog meat some years back the Happy Pig brand was a dog meat processing factory in Surin and on the packets of meat had a picture of a smiling pig. It's also a known fact that dogs can sence someone that has eaten dog maybe through pheromones being sweated out they will become aggressive by this.

I think the dog meat trade is very much an industry in Thailand just kept a lot more low key than before, a mate told me who speaks fluent Thai that a few years back there was uproar when seven thousand dogs were discovered in a warehouse and the authority's where clamping down on the trade.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

kendo wrote:It's also a known fact that dogs can sense someone that has eaten dog
Really? Is there any evidence to back that up? It sounds extremely unlikely to me. I suppose it could explain why sheep get nervous when I'm around.

I've got no desire whatsoever to eat dog (or cat) meat, partly because I imagine it would taste awful. But let's face it, it's just a taboo - we're conditioned against it. Horse meat is another taboo, just not as strong. Eating horse meat is still perfectly acceptable in many western countries; indeed, according to Wikipedia, horse and donkeys were part of the food chain in Yorkshire until the 1930s.

Unless you're a vegetarian as a matter of principle, it seems to me you have no logical reason to criticise anyone for eating any type of meat (let's leave the religious issues to one side). It's not the consumption that's the problem so much as how the animals are slaughtered. I'm very much with Takiap on that.
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Back when I was a kid in Detroit beef was pretty expensive for us. My Mom started buying horsemeat for a while. At that time, and age, I thought it was cool, my sister boycotted
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote:
kendo wrote:I suppose it could explain why sheep get nervous when I'm around.
It's funny you should say that - they seem to get bl**dy nervous when I'm around also!! :shock:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

europtimiste wrote:I eat beef, porc, chicken, duck, ostrich, frog, dog, horse, rat, squirrel, snake, kangoroo, crocodile, monkey, whale meat and I forgot all other animal meet I ate and eat. I do not care what animal lovers think, they simply should not eat if it hurts their feelings, but pls. do not advise others what not to eat.

Which part of China are you from? My family in Gambia are immigrating there next year and are a bit concerned about whether or not they will be able to find monkey meat at the local markets.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Takiap, for your info, I ate all those different animals in various countries. Monkey meat, that was in Indonesia.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

DM I am sure if dogs can smell cancer, drugs, explosives etc I am going to believe that from The locals that dogs can sence the pheromones.

In Surin beef is actually quite hard to find, you will find it hanging in the wet markets covered in fly's but the big three Tesco, Macro and Big C don't really stock it.