Giving some back to Thailand's servicemen/women

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
DeadPool
Rookie
Rookie

Giving some back to Thailand's servicemen/women

Post by DeadPool »

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forum so I'm still a little unsure as to how this thread will do the rounds??

I'm ex-UK Mil and as a result, the subject of patriotism lies pretty close to my heart.

When I was in the UK, I always wondered how immigrants felt about the UK forces and if they ever really contributed to the country's efforts abroad and at home.

If anyone reading this thread has a negative opinion of us, may I respectfully request you stop reading at this point?

As I am now an immigrant in a foreign country, I would like to give something back to the men and women who put themselves on the front line everyday to keep me and my family safe in Thailand.

To that end, I'm looking for participants/advice on what I/we could arrange by way of a sponsored challenge (bike ride, endurance run, swim etc.) to raise some funds for police/soldiers injured in the line of duty.

Now I know some of the thoughts that immediately rise from this; the police are corrupt, why should they get my money? I cant vote here so I don't need to contribute towards military campaigns etc. The long and short of the matter is that it would also be good publicity for us as foreigners as well. With the right media coverage we could also benefit from this kind of stuff and bring the Thai/Farang community a bit closer together.

Let me know your thoughts ladies and Gents.

Thanks,

:guns: :cheers: :D :guns: :cheers: :D :guns: :cheers: :D :guns: :cheers: :D
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Re: Giving some back to Thailand's servicemen/women

Post by theprice01 »

It's nice to see someone thinking about this subject, it's not really for me, but i wish you well,
Ed
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

DeadPool wrote: Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forum so I'm still a little unsure as to how this thread will do the rounds??

I'm ex-UK Mil and as a result, the subject of patriotism lies pretty close to my heart.

When I was in the UK, I always wondered how immigrants felt about the UK forces and if they ever really contributed to the country's efforts abroad and at home.

If anyone reading this thread has a negative opinion of us, may I respectfully request you stop reading at this point?

As I am now an immigrant in a foreign country, I would like to give something back to the men and women who put themselves on the front line everyday to keep me and my family safe in Thailand.

To that end, I'm looking for participants/advice on what I/we could arrange by way of a sponsored challenge (bike ride, endurance run, swim etc.) to raise some funds for police/soldiers injured in the line of duty.

Now I know some of the thoughts that immediately rise from this; the police are corrupt, why should they get my money? I cant vote here so I don't need to contribute towards military campaigns etc. The long and short of the matter is that it would also be good publicity for us as foreigners as well. With the right media coverage we could also benefit from this kind of stuff and bring the Thai/Farang community a bit closer together.

Let me know your thoughts ladies and Gents.

Thanks,

:guns: :cheers: :D :guns: :cheers: :D :guns: :cheers: :D :guns: :cheers: :D
Interesting, are you a immigrant?

All the beach front property around me is owned by Thai Military and Thai police. There are Range Rovers parked in front of the police station down the block from me and they just found over two BILLION baht in a policeman's house. Have you seen the military's golf course and R and R facilities on the ocean south of Hua Hin? Even if you raised the money, the right people would not get it.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, Deadpool. Not sure if you're just naïve or ...... I'll settle for naivety. You really need to wake up. Corruption in Thailand is very high in the world ranking with land offices being at number one followed by the police. The army has widespread corruption allegations and the chiefs of the three forces are the most powerful men in Thailand.

They certainly don't need any charity!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

A very noble idea, but as others have pointed out, the police and the military really aren't short of money. However, your idea could be well received and much appreciated if you could find a way to distribute any raised funds to the families of the young servicemen who have been killed in the line of duty.

The biggest challenge with this would be the fact that you would essentially need to bypass the official military machine in order for those in need to actually receive the money you raise.

Good luck

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Very well said HHtel & Jameswest...its sad but true.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

There is what puports to be a Thai "charity" that does the rounds of housing estates from time to time. They show photos of injured former service men, both police and military if I recall correctly. They have never convinced me that it anything other than a scam.

I think that it has been mentioned on this forum previously. Caveat emptor!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

I would like to say that the OP's heart is in the right place. My dad was a B26 pilot during WWII and I spent many hours with him in the Veterans hospital. A very sad place with so many veterans with horrible combat wounds.

And being a American, it is really hard to respect the "want to be" Thais with their Glock polo shirts.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
DeadPool
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeadPool »

Doesn't the above count for 100% of the worlds charities?

Maybe with a bit of media management and reserch, we could ensure that it goes to the right people, or at least that it is spent on much needed medical equipment, but on the other hand judging by the responses above (no offence taken and I do really appreciate your feedback) it looks like I'll be doing the challenge alone.

If anybody fancies riding to Surat Thani police and military hospital from Hua Hin some time this year, please get in touch via these means.

More of a personal challenge than anything else, but let's make some rich people richer with our hard earned charity funds

"Be courtious, be polite and have a plan to kill everybody in the room"
:guns: :cheers: :guns: :cheers: :guns: :cheers:
DeadPool
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeadPool »

JamesWest, yes mate, I'm an immigrant.

'immigrant'
ɪmɪɡr (a) nt /
noun
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

DeadPool wrote:JamesWest, yes mate, I'm an immigrant.

'immigrant'
ɪmɪɡr (a) nt /
noun
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country
You only have temporary residence based upon your visa. (Unless you're one of the few with a residency permit/Thai citizenship). Your visa is renewed at the discretion of the immigration. So although you believe you have come to 'live permanently in a foreign country' you are a visitor in every sense of the word.
DeadPool
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeadPool »

Jesus,

Please can we change the name of this Forum to 'correction and negativity forum?'

I'm going to go and watch a snuff movie to cheer myself up!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Why would anyone want to give anything to such a bunch of corrupt and opaque bunch of people that can do whatever they want, to get whatever they want, whenever they want?

:?

Guess you haven't spent much time here....... :roll:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
DeadPool
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeadPool »

Well;

*Enough time to be able to speak, read and write Thai.
*Enough time to have professional Muay Thai bouts to my name including in Rajadamneon and Lumpini stadiums
*Enough time to know that NOT EVERYONE in a police/military uniform is corrupt
*Enough time to have trained and operated with Thai offensive and peacekeeping operations

Just saying.......................
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Good on you Deadpool. The name says a lot!

Don't worry about negative comments. Just face reality. Enjoy your life.

'Not everyone in the police/military is corrupt." Absolutely correct but look at the world stats!

Good for you that you are an experienced Muay Thai (KickBoxing) individual. I speak fluent Thai so what does that make me? --- A farang who has learned the language.

I've been here in Hua Hin for 13 years. 'Enough time' to know what the reality is. Yes I love this country, but my head is not buried in the sand.

I served in the forces and fought for the UK. Nothing to shout about. As I've already said --- 'ENJOY LIFE' but understand reality. We're on this earth for just a short time.