Thai Monk Slaps Ausie for Giving Up Seat to Ladies

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Re: Thai Monk Slaps Ausie for Giving Up Seat to Ladies

Post by Gérard »

For people wo are interested in the thai spelling :

ai kwai > ไอ้ควาย = ai fai > ไอ้ฟาย
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

J.J.B. wrote:What puzzles me is why this particular incident was being filmed at all, even with the Thai love of their mobile phones. This clip starts at the point of the slapping offence and is fairly mundane after that. We have no idea what happened beforehand that might have prompted such an unexpected response and presumably made someone think 'ooh, this looks like it might be worth filming...'

Members of this forum have come to virtual blows discussing the merits of various media outlets' credibility and I'm amazed that this film on Youtube is taken at face value.
I think in Big Boys second video the man who was slapped said to the security guard that he was slapped a total of 3 times. In the video we only see him slapped 1 time. So I assume whoever decided to film probably decided it would be a good idea after the monk hit him the first time and by the time he got his phone ready the monk was on his 3rd slap.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Those darned Aussis and their accents! I hear them saying things like Mossie, or
No worries, when I had a lot to worry about, and Barby, as in barbeque, bit I was not
sure what the rest of the sentence was, and now as Kwai as in its o-Kwai and not
its okay!, I guess the monk was having a bad day in hearing things right!.
That's okay, I still like chatting with the Aussies that I meet and having a beer or two.
Stargeezer
Attachments
Me
Me
phpzLN81JAM[1].jpg (21.9 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Those darned Aussis and their accents!
and accents in the 'US of A'
and accents in the UK
and accents in France, Germany and Europe

Come on man there is no pure English accent across the globe unless you are a 'Tyke' (Yorkshire man/lass) :laugh: :duck:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

J.J.B. wrote:What puzzles me is why this particular incident was being filmed at all, even with the Thai love of their mobile phones. This clip starts at the point of the slapping offence and is fairly mundane after that. We have no idea what happened beforehand that might have prompted such an unexpected response and presumably made someone think 'ooh, this looks like it might be worth filming...'
the story I heard from my girlfriend went along these lines:

The guy, sitting opposite the Monk, gave up his seat for the ladies. He then tried to ask the monk if it was OK to sit next to him. He apparently asked several times but the Monk was unable to understand. The guy then said "It's fine" and the Monk started to believe that he was being called a buffalo.

Quite how the monk came to that conclusion, when the guy in question was clearly unable to communicate in Thai, is beyond me.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

........................... the Monk started to believe that he was being called a buffalo.
It would appear that the Aussie should have called him a buffalo!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

HHTel wrote:The apology apparently was made. Although it's no excuse for physical violence, the Thais are in hysterics over this. It seems like it was simply a language problem. It had nothing to do with the Oz giving up his seat for the ladies. He sat next to the monk and smiled and said "It's fine" several times as the monk was getting angry. It seems the monk heard "Kwai" probably mishearing an Oz accent. After repeating it several times, the monk was saying (in Thai) "I've not done anything. Why do you keep calling me a buffalo?" As you will know, calling a Thai a 'buffalo' is very derogative. The more the Oz repeated it, the more the monk got angry then 'lost it'. The Oz after understanding the misunderstanding is "Fine" - but "Ok' would be better ... lol

I'm sure Thais will confirm this but seriously all the Thais think it very funny. Reminds me of a TV program some time ago called "Mind Your Language". A sitcom involving a variety of foreign students attempting to learn English.

If all the above is true and I've got no reason to disbelieve it, it just shows how people can get the wrong end of the stick.

Refer to your statement is the truth as I'm a Thai person, I do understand both of the monk and Oz. It was just the language barrier, but the monk was too much angry, instead the monk should be more patient if he didn't sure what the Oz said. And actually there are the monk seats that serve only for the monk on the train, I don't know why didn't he sit out there, but sat with the people.

Sorry for the Oz for the monk being rude. :(