Thai Monk Slaps Ausie for Giving Up Seat to Ladies

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Thai Monk Slaps Ausie for Giving Up Seat to Ladies

Post by Big Boy »

OK, an isolated incident, but not good for Thailand when things like this go viral.

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Re: Thai Monk Slaps Ausie for Giving Up Seat to Ladies

Post by Big Boy »

An animated reconstruction, which gives better commentary:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

IMO once a Thai male becomes a monk it's his ticket to do what he wants, when he wants, how he wants..probably using his new i-phone 6..& all funded by the Thai people.. :tsk:
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Going into a Wat for a couple of weeks doesn't stop guys from being a*******s :sfight:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

usual suspect wrote:IMO once a Thai male becomes a monk it's his ticket to do what he wants, when he wants, how he wants..probably using his new i-phone 6..& all funded by the Thai people.. :tsk:
So true

Know a Thai lad. Became a monk when his grandfather died. Did his 3 months. Came out and killed the guy who had given his missus one while he was a monk. Did 10 years in prison. Came out and did another stint in the temple. Now works for the police in Khon Kaen and is an active drug peddler in remote north east villages
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Monk or not this f... idiot should appologize.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ no need to apologise although that would be the right thing to do .... Simply arrest him on Assult charges and be done with it.

Ok I'll snap my fingers now and wake up!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

europtimiste wrote:Monk or not this f... idiot should apologize.
A monk will not Wai you or apologise. You are supposed to be on your knees offering whatever to his most reverent being. Personally most of them get this from me :butt:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ Posts crossed but identical sentiments
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

i remember years ago me and the wife gave a monk a lift ,cheeky b@^tard would not leave the car until my wife gave him 100 baht , now i will never help one it will cost in the long run
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

ste860 wrote:i remember years ago me and the wife gave a monk a lift ,cheeky b@^tard would not leave the car until my wife gave him 100 baht , now i will never help one it will cost in the long run
She should have given him a BJ climaxed with a bite :run:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My wife has an uncle who is a monk. I guess that makes him my uncle as well :cry:

Anyway, he phoned Mrs BB a couple of months ago, and told her that he had chosen her as his housekeeper for the next 3 months (cooking and cleaning). His temple is in Ban Nong Seng (about 11 hours by car).

Mrs BB told me that she'd have to go. I was not pleased - I don't put my foot down very often, but this was a definite exception. There was just no way I was letting her go to the jungle alone for 3 months. I won't let her go there alone for one day, and I am not going to the jungle for 3 months. She was not pleased, and didn't feel she could say no, but my size 14 was firmly on the ground.

The compromise was Mrs BB phoning her sister in Ban Nong Seng, and she agreed to stand in as a replacement.

This is just an example of the hold monks have over their flock.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The apology apparently was made. Although it's no excuse for physical violence, the Thais are in hysterics over this. It seems like it was simply a language problem. It had nothing to do with the Oz giving up his seat for the ladies. He sat next to the monk and smiled and said "It's fine" several times as the monk was getting angry. It seems the monk heard "Kwai" probably mishearing an Oz accent. After repeating it several times, the monk was saying (in Thai) "I've not done anything. Why do you keep calling me a buffalo?" As you will know, calling a Thai a 'buffalo' is very derogative. The more the Oz repeated it, the more the monk got angry then 'lost it'. The Oz after understanding the misunderstanding is "Fine" - but "Ok' would be better ... lol

I'm sure Thais will confirm this but seriously all the Thais think it very funny. Reminds me of a TV program some time ago called "Mind Your Language". A sitcom involving a variety of foreign students attempting to learn English.

If all the above is true and I've got no reason to disbelieve it, it just shows how people can get the wrong end of the stick.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, that's what I've read and heard, although from what I have been told, there was still shock at the Monks action - and real kudos to the attitude displayed by the teacher.
Talk is cheap
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

HHTel wrote:The apology apparently was made. Although it's no excuse for physical violence, the Thais are in hysterics over this. It seems like it was simply a language problem. It had nothing to do with the Oz giving up his seat for the ladies. He sat next to the monk and smiled and said "It's fine" several times as the monk was getting angry. It seems the monk heard "Kwai" probably mishearing an Oz accent. After repeating it several times, the monk was saying (in Thai) "I've not done anything. Why do you keep calling me a buffalo?" As you will know, calling a Thai a 'buffalo' is very derogative. The more the Oz repeated it, the more the monk got angry then 'lost it'. The Oz after understanding the misunderstanding is "Fine" - but "Ok' would be better ... lol

I'm sure Thais will confirm this but seriously all the Thais think it very funny. Reminds me of a TV program some time ago called "Mind Your Language". A sitcom involving a variety of foreign students attempting to learn English.

If all the above is true and I've got no reason to disbelieve it, it just shows how people can get the wrong end of the stick.
AND also a reason so many farangs are scared to use Thai. The slightest mispronunciation or tone can be interpreted as offensive
RICHARD OF LOXLEY