Some tips for long term stay

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Some tips for long term stay

Post by Slash »

Hello

I'm looking to relocate to Thailand from UK, in my late thirties with wife and a small child. I've been recommended Hua Hin as a good choice, as it has good infrastructure, internet, beach, good places to eat and is more suitable for a family with a small child rather then some overcrowded tourist places (even though some may have nicer beaches)..

I will come to HH at the end of this month (first just by myself), to check it out and look at some suitable areas, check out possible accommodation / prices of places for rent etc..

Can anybody recommend which areas to look at (streets/parts of town) ? Preferably not too far from the beach or shops (grocery or food mall) but not too noisy or touristy ?

Cheers.
lomuamart

Re: Some tips for long term stay

Post by lomuamart »

I don't want to put a dampener on things right at the start but have you considered how you're going to be able to stay here long term - visa wise?
That'll be your number one headache, I'm afraid. At your age, you won't qualify for any long term visa from the UK or extension from here. Add to that the fact that Imm have clamped down on people making regular border runs and maybe you begin to see the problem.
The only way you'd be able to make things work is to regularly leave the country and get tourist visas but eventually Imm are going to start asking how you are living here. (There isn't actually any limit to the number of back-to-back tourist visas you can get but Imm will eventually start to get suspicious).
EDIT Is your wife Thai?
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

lomuamart wrote:I don't want to put a dampener on things right at the start but have you considered how you're going to be able to stay here long term - visa wise?
That'll be your number one headache, I'm afraid. At your age, you won't qualify for any long term visa from the UK or extension from here. Add to that the fact that Imm have clamped down on people making regular border runs and maybe you begin to see the problem.
The only way you'd be able to make things work is to regularly leave the country and get tourist visas but eventually Imm are going to start asking how you are living here. (There isn't actually any limit to the number of back-to-back tourist visas you can get but Imm will eventually start to get suspicious).
EDIT Is your wife Thai?
We intend to get started on Tourist visa 3 entry and try this once or twice, but will be looking to get employed as teacher of English (in fact we're both qualified English teachers) or I can teach IT as well.. Or try to get ED Visa, or even business, there are choices. the other option would be Multiple Visa (if this bit[dot]ly/1Kn2hvo ever passes ) ((but I'm not holding my breath))
My wife is not thai.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Slash wrote:... but will be looking to get employed as teacher of English (in fact we're both qualified English teachers)
Sounds like your best bet. Good luck.
This is the way
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

dtaai-maai wrote:Sounds like your best bet. Good luck.
Thanks! :)

now that this is sorted.. Anybody has any good tips regarding my original post topic ? 8)
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Apart from the qualified comments already given, don't commit too much till you have been here for at least a few years and have learned the system plus 'the ropes' so to speak. The goal posts can change awefully quick here for no reason at all. In reality, almost every obsticle possible that can be put in your way...will be. This is not 'La La Land' or even the 'Land of Smiles' anymore.....15-20 years ago...yes....but that's all gone now apart from on TAT adverts.

Spend some time checking stuff out, spend further time being/working as a teacher and just seeing if you can square stuff away generally to pull of a long time gig. It's even more difficult if your wife is not Thai......essentually, don't bother to buy anything other than a car, condo or movable asset.

The road to long term stay here is littered with hubris and failure. Caution & patience is the order of the day...no hurry and don't burn any bridges man so you can have an escape route.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

Spitfire wrote:Apart from the qualified comments already given, don't commit too much till you have been here for at least a few years and have learned the system plus 'the ropes' so to speak. The goal posts can change awefully quick here for no reason at all. In reality, almost every obsticle possible that can be put in your way...will be. This is not 'La La Land' or even the 'Land of Smiles' anymore.....15-20 years ago...yes....but that's all gone now apart from on TAT adverts.

Spend some time checking stuff out, spend further time being/working as a teacher and just seeing if you can square stuff away generally to pull of a long time gig. It's even more difficult if your wife is not Thai......essentually, don't bother to buy anything other than a car, condo or movable asset.

The road to long term stay here is littered with hubris and failure. Caution & patience is the order of the day...no hurry and don't burn any bridges man so you can have an escape route.
All good advice,(if off the topic) but I know people mean well..

I haven't just woken up and decided on a whim I want to leave comfortable live in the UK, I've been preparing for this a long time trying to sort out as much details as I can, for example we will only rent our house in UK for a 6 months at the time and will consider it a trial period, if things won't go well we will simply return and continue living here, plus we saved enough to sustain us for years, etc..

I realise living here isn't the same as coming for vacation here, also I am going for this exploratory visit, where I want tp personally check the current situation, including accommodation , work situation, schools, environment, etc etc,.

Hua Hin is just one of three other locations I will explore..

I just didn't think I need to explain this and the background story just to get advice on some local places from the people that live here :)
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Guess you don't need much help then man....fair enough
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

Spitfire wrote:Guess you don't need much help then man....fair enough
On a contrary I do ! Just not with the things I didn't ask help for :)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

No one ever answered his original question. In a nutshell, it's difficult to answer (maybe that's why no one bothered). Expat enclaves or communities are scattered all over north, south, and west Hua Hin so the best location for you may not be considered desirable for someone else.

What I can tell you is that I lived on west Soi 94 for the last two years there and it was the easiest and most convient time of my ten years in Hua Hin. East and central parts of Soi 94 have turned into restaurant central over the last few years with some bars thrown in, plus a left turn at the base of 94 puts you within a couple of hundred meters of the town's largest mall which includes a super market. A few blocks further is Villa Market, the supermarket that carries the most imported items. You can reach both of these (on the main road) from 94, then turn back west towards home without going downtown or driving in the main road traffic for long.

I rented a three bedroom villa there for 20k per month (long term, more for less than a year) and it was in short walking distance of a large school where you may find employment.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:with some bars thrown in
Believe it or not, there are at least 5 new ones since you departed just over a month ago :? .

I like you love the Soi 94 area, but as you say, each to his own.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Slash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slash »

hhfarang wrote:No one ever answered his original question. In a nutshell, it's difficult to answer (maybe that's why no one bothered). Expat enclaves or communities are scattered all over north, south, and west Hua Hin so the best location for you may not be considered desirable for someone else.

What I can tell you is that I lived on west Soi 94 for the last two years there and it was the easiest and most convient time of my ten years in Hua Hin. East and central parts of Soi 94 have turned into restaurant central over the last few years with some bars thrown in, plus a left turn at the base of 94 puts you within a couple of hundred meters of the town's largest mall which includes a super market. A few blocks further is Villa Market, the supermarket that carries the most imported items. You can reach both of these (on the main road) from 94, then turn back west towards home without going downtown or driving in the main road traffic for long.

I rented a three bedroom villa there for 20k per month (long term, more for less than a year) and it was in short walking distance of a large school where you may find employment.
That is excellent, exactly the type of advice I was after, thank you so much!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I have nothing great to answer the thread's question as I'm still struggling after ten years (came when I was younger.. am 31 now). I haven't found that sense of security yet.

All I can say is make sure you have a 'plan B' in place just in case. A plan B is something I'm not fortunate enough to have right now. Is priceless really if you want peace of mind.

:cheers:
Woosie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Woosie »

To answer your question I would suggest considering Khao Takieb. We live here, which is just south of Hua Hin and love the area. It's easy to get into town and Market Village, the beach is 100 yards from our house, we can walk to multiple restaurants (with new ones opening all the time) and Cicada Market on weekends. I recommend checking out the area. Plenty of condos and townhouses for rent in the area all with nice pools and good facilities. It can be busy on holiday weekends but other than that it's fairly quiet. I would not live anywhere else in Hua Hin.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

just come on over, everything will be fine.

try to get your teaching gig lined up before you come over.

i live in Khao Takiab about 5 kilometers south of Hua Hin. less people and traffic. Near the ocean.

what is your budget for rent?

you can rent month to month and keep moving around until you find a area you like.

if you need info on immigration office location, scooter rental, drivers license office location, let me know.

hua hin is expensive compared to the rest of thailand.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.