Thailand Calendar

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Thailand Calendar

Post by Lev »

Calendar - ปฏิทิน

This thread will be used as notification of public holidays, bank holidays, religious/royal/political holidays and important dates in the Thai calendar as there are so many of them. It will help to plan trips and activities which may otherwise have been thwarted by unexpected closures/clampdowns/traffic congestion etc.

Anyone can update it but please keep it on topic.

May 2015
Labour Day - 1st
Day in lieu - 4th
Coronation Day - 5th

This week is the Royal Ploughing Ceremony on the 13th of May.
PeteC

Re: Thailand Calendar

Post by PeteC »

Asahna Bucha is a national Holiday in Thailand. It repaced Buddhist Lent as a gazetted holiday in 2007.

The date in the western calendar depends on Lunar cycle.It is also known as Asalha Puja or Dhamma Day. 2015 - Thursday - July 30th

History of the holiday

This day, the first full moon of the eighth lunar month, commemorates the Buddha's first sermon in the Deer Park in Benares, India and the founding of the Buddhist sangha (monkhood) about 2,500 years ago.

In the sermon, which is known as 'Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion', the Buddha first spelled out the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path.

The day marks the beginning of Vassa, the Buddhist lent period also known as the 'Rains Retreat'.
How is it celebrated?

To mark the day, ceremonies are held in Buddhist temples across Thailand. Many Thai people return to their ancestral homes to donate offerings to temples and listen to sermons. In the evening they will often perform a ceremony called 'wian tian', where they walk clockwise around the main shrine of the temple carrying a candle, incense sticks and lotus flowers.

During the day, monks chant mantras and preach the first sermon of the Buddha.

During the lent period, elaborate wax candles are kept burning. In the city of Ubon, there is a Candle Festival is held. Following a parade of candles, the winners of best candle design are announced.

In Saraburi, local monks parade through the town with their alms bowls. Instead of the usual offerings of food, people will instead put flowers into their bowls. The monks then return to the temples and offer the flowers in honour of the Buddha.

Asanha Bucha Day is traditionally a popular day for young Thai men to enter the monkhood.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I also see on some listings July 1 as the mid-year bank holiday. Don't know what this entails, and what will and will not be open. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Up coming holidays for 2015

July 1 – Bank Holiday (only banks closed)

July 30 – Asarnha Bucha (Start of Buddhist Lent, one of the most important Buddhist holidays; alcohol ban)

July 31 – Khao Phansa (Buddhist Lent Day, one of the most important Buddhist holidays; alcohol ban)

August 12 – Queen’s Birthday / Mother’s Day

October 23 – Chulalongkorn Day, marks the anniversary of the death of King Chulalongkorn

October 28 – Wan Ork Phansa (End of Buddhist Lent and an important Buddhist holiday; alcohol ban)

November 25 – Loy Krathong festival

December 5 – King’s Birthday / Father’s Day. King Bhumibol Adulyadej, born in 1927 and also known as Rama IX, is is the world’s longest reigning monarch and had been 60 years on the throne in 2006.

December 7 – Substitution holiday for the King’s birthday, which falls on a Saturday

December 10 – Constitution Day

December 31 – New Year’s Eve, national holiday
daddy

Post by daddy »

Thank you for show us!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Asalha Bucha this coming Thursday, July 30, and Buddhist Lent Day Friday July 31. Assume watering holes closed both days, everywhere.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:Asalha Bucha this coming Thursday, July 30, and Buddhist Lent Day Friday July 31. Assume watering holes closed both days, everywhere.
Are banks closed?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They are national holidays so I would say yes.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

migrant wrote:
prcscct wrote:Asalha Bucha this coming Thursday, July 30, and Buddhist Lent Day Friday July 31. Assume watering holes closed both days, everywhere.
Are banks closed?

My Thai diary lists only Thursday 30th as a Bank Holiday + Government Holiday, and Friday as only a Goverment Holiday.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You're right Nereus. Very confusing here as some official national holidays are bank holidays, and some are not. Below is a Bangkok Bank listing for 2015 bank holidays. I'll try to remember to post the same when the 2016 schedule is published. Pete

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... idays.aspx
buksida

Post by buksida »

Monday Feb 22 - Macha Bucha Day, public holiday.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This Sunday May 1 is Labour Day, observed on Monday. Thursday is Coronation Day with an extra holiday on Friday as well. Four day weekend and Hua Hin I imagine will be busy with Thai visitors. Yet another holiday on Friday May 20, Visakha Bucha Day, which I think will be a "dry" day. Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Pete, that probably explains the dramatic increase in traffic around town yesterday.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I know this is already in Events & Activities and it's over already, but I put it here for the record and reference. Pete :cheers:

"The cabinet recently declared July 18, 2016 a public holiday, giving Thais a five-day holiday period. Asarnha Bucha Day falls on July 19 and Buddhist Lent Day on July 20."....

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... st-tourism
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Coming up:......

Friday August 12 is a national holiday for the Queens Birthday/Mother's Day.