Has patriotism in Thailand gone too far?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Has patriotism in Thailand gone too far?

Post by buksida »

If you happened to live in Thailand during the ’90s, chances are you have heard at least one song written by Nitipong “Dee” Honark. The popular and prolific songwriter has produced over 100 hits in the past few decades and now sits as one of the ‘Thailand’s Got Talent’ judges. Beyond his musical abilities, Dee is also an outspoken patriot. Not only did he publicly vow to shave his head if the national football team lost to Myanmar (Burma) at the SEA Games, Dee also took time during the recent political conflicts to write songs about peace and love to harmonize Thai people.

Last week, the 55-year-old songwriter ignited a human rights debate after he commented on Thailand’s recent deportation of Uighurs to China. “Thai people have nothing to do with it, no plus or minus. It’s between China and the Uighurs. That the Chinese government may get brutal with the Uighurs, Muslim Turks, has nothing to do with us. We never have had problems with anyone. It’s their history, not ours,” he wrote on Facebook. Dee’s willingness to relieve Thailand from any wrongdoing brought in people from both sides of the argument, lauding and condemning him.

Full story: Asian Correspondent

Thought: I'm actually surprised that this website hasn't been blocked yet!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caducus

Re: Has patriotism in Thailand gone too far?

Post by caducus »

I would not say that, "Patriotism in Thailand has gone too far, as such a statement presupposes that patriotism in other places has NOT gone too far. Dr Johnson is credited with the observation that, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." If he did, indeed, say that he was, uttering a very polite understatement. I would go along with George Bernard Shaw and declare that, "You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race."
It's high time to start a bit of knocking
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, seeing as though the question relates to Thailand only, my answer would be yes. Through my eyes, I see most Thais being patriot to the point of blindness. No other country, and/or no other person in the world could ever hope to do what a Thai person can do. The rest of the world is full of humans that know nothing. From cutting edge science, to farming chickens, Somachai the somtam seller knows best. Do I care? Absolutely not. Children believe in fairies as well, and Santa, so just let them be.

On a more serious note.....Yes I think patriotism is probably mankind's biggest downfall.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Patriotism in Thailand hasn't 'gone too' anything. It's always been there... the very same as it is today - maybe worse. Most countries were like that before. The difference is, is that most other countries grew up and started to indulge in other countries' cultures, mindsets... ideas.

Thailand continues to wallow in its own self pride thus stunting the growth of the country.

Only the North Koreans, Chinese and Americans can match the heights of Thailand when it comes to...

"I come from here so I'm superior to you".
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nothing wrong in being patriotic - I for one am very proud of my heritage. I class myself as Welsh & British as I was born to a Welsh mother and a "Yorkshire" father (he insists his is a separate race - I can concur :roll: , as would our dear departed Richard).

Unfortunately, it can also become somewhat "tribal" as seen in sport - leading to violence especially seen in Wendyball. In the extreme, leads to war and death - the American Civil War an ideal example.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I agree that there's nothing wrong with being patriotic. I'm also proud of where I come from. It's when it becomes a little more than just that, when things get bad. You gave some good examples.

Those jolly folk in the Ku Klux Klan were an extremely patriotic bunch of people, too.

When patrioticism (that's a word, right?) becomes an excuse to look down on others, it all gets a bit daft.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote: patrioticism (that's a word, right?)
No, it's two words - patriotic and patriotism! :laugh:
This is the way
caducus

Post by caducus »

The comments made on this thread on the subject of patriotism can be summed up thus.

"I am patriotic and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just other people being patriotic that's bad."

I still consider that patriotism is an absolutely abominable attitude..and solipsism too!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote: patrioticism (that's a word, right?)
No, it's two words - patriotic and patriotism! :laugh:
Damn it... thought I'd nailed that one. :wink:
caducus wrote:..and solipsism too!
Solipsism?

*GLC heads to google*

Edit: So you learn something new everyday... I am not a 'solipsisist', apparently. :D