visa extensions - is personal attendance necessary

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
albaker

visa extensions - is personal attendance necessary

Post by albaker »

Hi might seem a strange question but do you need to go to immigration in person to apply for a visa extension ? I am a paraplegic , full time wheelchair user , and will be travelling with parents staying in Cha Am , we are thinking of staying on after our 60 day visa , obtained before we leave UK , and it is almost impossible for me to get in and out of taxis , special adapted vehicle to and from Bangkok , so either of my parents would travel to immigration in Hua Hin with all relevant documents .
Also how far in advance could I get an extension to visa ?
Embassy / Consulate enquiries here in London , " wanting " to be polite . :?
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: visa extensions - is personal attendance necessary

Post by JamesWest »

i don't know the answer to your question, but, hopefully your parents can go without you and do their visas, get the paper work and info for you and come back in the afternoon.

i can tell you the immigration building in Hua Hin is on the ground floor. It is raised up a bit and I believe there is a ramp. (I could be wrong about the ramp)

you can pull up directly in front of the entrance and i am sure if the immigration people need to see you they would walk out the 20 feet or so to meet you in the van.

I am not sure about additional photos you might need.

The other variable is how long you might have to wait, but if you can run the air cond you should be ok.

if you paste these numbers into google maps and switch to satellite view and zoom all the way in you can see the building.

12.600329, 99.954012

as you can see the parking lot is right next to the entrance.

hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. lunch is round 1pm and they just shut down for a hour.
you need someone to pick a number. the machine is just inside the door.

sometimes there are student helpers out front. if you can get one of them to understand your situation, it might be helpful.

something as simple as a wheelchair logo on a smartphone, or just open the van door and i think they might get the idea. I say this because English skills at immigration can sometimes be shockingly limited.

i do know that if i can't report to immigration as a retired person in Thailand, someone else can report for me. i am not sure how this applies to your situation. good luck.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Normally, you need to attend in person for any extension.
However, I would have thought that that with a doctor's certificate your parents may be able to do the extension for you.
As you can apply up to 30 days early, it would make sense to check that out with Imm before your 60 days expires.
Good luck.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JamesWest wrote:i can tell you the immigration building in Hua Hin is on the ground floor. It is raised up a bit and I believe there is a ramp. (I could be wrong about the ramp)
Yes, there is a ramp, but this is Thailand, and motor cyclists park with no regard for anybody:
20150923_144828.jpg
20150923_144828.jpg (168.01 KiB) Viewed 570 times
No problem if you carry your wheelchair around though :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18