Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the 'farang tax'?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the 'farang tax'?

Post by handdrummer »

Biting the hand that feeds them.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

BB It sounds like the evening worked out best for you anyway!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ooooh yes :D . Don't think my granddaughter wasn't too pleased though.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Strange. We (wife, me) went twice this week :( :( . When we sat down we were quickly asked if we wanted beer, but when we said no thanks that was the end of it. We already had food, so maybe that made a difference.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A quick scan of the other tables told me it was a scam to get me to buy their beer. I wasn't too fussed about the concert, so did not need any persuasion to walk away. Their scam saved me money, but it was the fact it was aimed at the Farang's wallet again that I found a little disturbing.

As I said, my wife went while I was in Chiang Mai with no problem whatsoever.

Points 41; Position 18
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:51 pm Ooooh yes :D . Don't think my granddaughter wasn't too pleased though.
Surely she knows better than to take you shopping, BB? :P
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was away in delightful Uthai Thani last week (more about that when I have more time). During our visit we decided to visit the Chainat Bird Park. As we approached the ticket desk, we were greeted with this:
DSC01057.jpg
DSC01057.jpg (89.09 KiB) Viewed 479 times
DSC01058.jpg
DSC01058.jpg (94.05 KiB) Viewed 479 times
I simply handed my wallet to my son, and said do it. I thought resistance is futile for 70฿, even though it hurt on principal. My son got to the window, and went through the process of buying everybody else's tickets. I just stood there like a lemon.

We walked away from the ticket office, and my son says, "That's OK, you only paid Thai price." Very surprised, it seems the lady at the desk asked how long I'd lived in Thailand, and could I prove residency. My son produced my ID card, and she charged me the lessor price.

So obviously the intention to charge the Farang tax was there, but I guess at 6'5" and a peanut, I must have started looking like a Thai. A great result, without trying. I've never encountered such a great attitude in Thailand to dual pricing before.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa, they should have asked my age as well - they should have let me in for nothing.

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Can anyone with a marriage visa get an id card? If so What are the requirements and where do I get one?
Thanks.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You need to get a Yellow Book first. When they issue the Yellow Book, just ask for an ID Card.

Here's my trials and tribulations towards obtaining a Yellow Book - hopefully you can simplify the process by learning from my many mistakes. https://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32552

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, it could be said that at least they're open with it!

I'm extremely lucky to have been able to visit many countries through work - some experiences good, some bad, but nevertheless, experiences!

Thailand is certainly not alone with dual pricing. Working in the Czech Republic, two menus in restaurants - one in Czech, one in German - the latter double price (and given to anyone not Czech!). Additional/different is not uncommon in many countries including the likes of the UK, US and Australia - perhaps just not so obvious.

As a foreigner when travelling I have expected to pay extra virtually wherever I travel, which can certainly reduce the "good feeling"!!

All in all, it's the world over.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 pm You need to get a Yellow Book first. When they issue the Yellow Book, just ask for an ID Card.

Here's my trials and tribulations towards obtaining a Yellow Book - hopefully you can simplify the process by learning from my many mistakes. https://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32552
Nothing is worth going to Bangkok for, especially the US embassy. I'll pass on the ID card. I wouldn't spend that much money, in my remaining years, visiting Thai place. I'm far too old to go through all that to save a few hundred baht. Thanks for the info
buksida

Post by buksida »

The 'embassy visit' is only a Hua Hin requirement, not necessary for yellow book application elsewhere.

Pleasantly surprised to see more national parks accepting the pink farang ID card now - it is quite a saving if you travel a lot.

Shame the junta are still actively promoting dual pricing though, but what would you expect from a xenophobic dictatorship.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 am
Big Boy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 pm You need to get a Yellow Book first. When they issue the Yellow Book, just ask for an ID Card.

Nothing is worth going to Bangkok for, especially the US embassy. I'll pass on the ID card. I wouldn't spend that much money, in my remaining years, visiting Thai place. I'm far too old to go through all that to save a few hundred baht. Thanks for the info
Don’t be put off - if you have a yellow book it’s very easy and quick (certainly at Cha Am). This is an extract of a post I made about obtaining my Thai ID card when I was at the Cha Am Municipality offices earlier this year.

“Being in a positive mood, I asked about the ID card for a Farang and she said no problem, sit over there and the man dealing with it will be over soon. 15 minutes later, two thumb prints, one photo, 100 Baht, and I walked out with my new ID card.”
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Don’t be put off - if you have a yellow book it’s very easy and quick (certainly at Cha Am). This is an extract of a post I made about obtaining my Thai ID card when I was at the Cha Am Municipality offices earlier this year.

I don't have a yellow book and still don't know what they are for. I wouldn't go through what BB went through to get one. If I could walk in and do what you did & get an ID card, it would be worth it.

Having just gone through changing from retirement to marriage visa, I'm not in the mood to deal with more paper work and bureaucracy.