Charging for plastic bags in Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
pharvey

Re: Charging for plastic bags in Thailand?

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote:It cost Bangkok alone 600 million baht annually to dispose of this waste. That was back in 2010 and is growing at 20% annually.
As a matter of interest, how is the waste disposed of - dumped at sea or straight to landfill?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Agreed and that is why the only way can be slowly slowly or companies will be put out of business and people unemployed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

"Even in the UK they have not banned plastic bags completely"

Pharvey, the above was a quote from StevePiraq, not me!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think that the first step should be making it more obvious on packaging just what is recyclable. The only things that I buy here that have the complete symbol with number on it, are fully imported items. Not all plastics are recyclable, and business is not going to deal with material that they cannot make a profit from.

Whatever method is used it will only work when the consumer has to pay. Manufactures should be forced to use only those materials that are recyclable, but I doubt that method could be enforced. It also needs a "mindset", and THAT for sure is not found here!

http://www.zerowaste.sa.gov.au/at-home/ ... stics-mean

http://learn.eartheasy.com/2012/05/plas ... e-numbers/

https://www.cleanup.org.au/PDF/au/cua_p ... _sheet.pdf
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote:"Even in the UK they have not banned plastic bags completely"

Pharvey, the above was a quote from StevePiraq, not me!
Apologies - just took the quote. No offence intended.... :oops:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Of course you can take your own bag into stores. It folds up and fits in your pocket and you load it up at the counter. Just say no thanks when they try to give you a plastic bag and a straw for each can of beer???????? Must admit I do get plastic bags from Makro etc as I buy large amounts of food products at a time but I take them to the recycle plant and they pay me for them.

Crazy 88
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think Makro are the only store that DOES NOT supply plastic bags.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Apart from the fresh food bags. Hard to imagine going back to butcher paper and newspaper (or banana leaves) for fresh fish and meat though.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Of course. Missed that point.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Try buying 20 kg of pork, 10kg of chicken and a load of other stuff and see if Makro put it in plastic bags. In fact buy 1 kilo and you will get a free plastic glove to put it into your bag. Maybe Pranburi different. Don't shop there.

Crazy 88
buksida

Post by buksida »

Interesting map of where plastic bags have been banned: http://www.factorydirectpromos.com/plastic-bag-bans

Thailand notably absent.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

The answer is not to go back to the dark ages and stop plastic bags. Biodegradable plastic bags are already available and there is in insignificant manufacturing cost difference when compared to non degradable bags. The only problem is that the volume needs to switch to make it cost effective. Anything in small volumes costs more to produce and it's no different for plastics.

At home, we normally keep our carrier bags for reuse and Villa started using biodegradable bags without me being aware. After a couple of months, sitting neatly folded under my sink ('Er indoors always folds them In neat triangles), they were already falling to pieces. We have the technology but not the will to use it!!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

As the map shows southern California has many bans in place. It was a pain at first since we always forgot our own, but once used to it, no problem and so much better for the environment!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Interesting that inplaceswhee they have taken the middle course of not banning but makinga charge compulsary, people take their own bags AND the people who dont or forget invariably apolologise in a loud voice for buying bags. It becomes unfashionable and that is more effective than the charge.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This is a good start. I have always believed that plastic take away food containers are more of a problem than shopping bags.
..................................................................................
Phasi Charoen leads the way in food packaging

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... -packaging

Community is embracing more eco-friendly takeaway containers

'The number of customers actually increased after I ditched styrofoam containers for recycled ones to pack takeaway food," said Somchai Puengsin, a food vendor in Phasi Charoen district.

Mr Somchai runs Krua Khun Oy (Khun Oy's Kitchen) which sells single rice dishes and is part of the "Say Yes to Recycled Food Containers" programme. The project was initiated by Siam University's Research Centre for Community Development in collaboration with Phasi Charoen district, to reduce waste.

The 54-year-old vendor boasted of the increasing number of takeaway orders after joining the campaign. Although the increased cost of the recycled containers is four times higher than styrofoam, he will not increase his prices or change the quality and quantity of the food he cooks for his customers.

Supported by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, the campaign is aimed at discouraging food vendors in the district from using styrofoam and plastic food containers and urging them to use packaging that is environmentally friendly.

A 100-unit pack of foam food containers is priced at 45 baht, compared to 200 baht for recycled containers made from sugarcane. He urged the government to support vendors to use recycle food containers by creating a similar campaign across the country in the hopes that it would bring down the cost of material.

"If a large number of vendors joined the campaign we would negotiate with producers of recycle food containers over wholesale purchases," he said.

more at link....long article>
..................................................................................................
The first place to start should be with the big supermarket chains, such as Tesco and Big C. They have the buying capacity to force the manufacturing costs down.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!