Charging for plastic bags in Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Charging for plastic bags in Thailand?

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:26 am From what I've read, plastic bags did take over in the states, but over the last few years they have been banned in some states and that trend is increasing. The alternative is small and large paper bags which some stores charge for.
California has stopped giving bags, you must bring your own, or buy theirs.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

For all that we say about other countries banning plastic bags it will have no impact here. Thai's do not believe anyone knows better than them.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:16 pm For all that we say about other countries banning plastic bags it will have no impact here. Thai's do not believe anyone knows better than them.
And roundabouts are a stupid invention!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

If there was ever a video that showed how necessary and urgent it is to not charge but ban plastic bags, bottles etc. then this is it.

Just thank god and the currents that it is not in our gulf.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-418660 ... -caribbean.

Hmmm why does the link not work?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

But we come back to the same old, same old--Its not passing laws or a govt decree, thats easy --its ENFORCEMENT.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:29 am But we come back to the same old, same old--Its not passing laws or a govt decree, thats easy --its ENFORCEMENT.
Of course that is the all important word, however in Thailand there does not even appear to be laws concerning this. The government will take no action.

The present PM recently said they could not implement laws restricting the use of plastic bags as the people would not like it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The present PM recently said they could not implement laws restricting the use of plastic bags as the people would not like it.
What a stupid comment by the PM. There's a very long list of laws that 'the people don't like'. Should they be repealed?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 pm What a stupid comment by the PM.
Par for the course really.
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHTel wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 pm
What a stupid comment by the PM. There's a very long list of laws that 'the people don't like'. Should they be repealed?
Well they are not enforced so it's just the same as not existing.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

What I don't understand is why the municipality will not even put some large recycling bins in town, it is so easy, but that would mean they have to make an effort, something Thais are not used to.

Putting something like this would make it exciting for kids and get them involved.
untitled.png
untitled.png (117.78 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm What I don't understand is why the municipality will not even put some large recycling bins in town, it is so easy, but that would mean they have to make an effort, something Thais are not used to.

Putting something like this would make it exciting for kids and get them involved.
To be fair, the recycling issue probably solves itself in this instance. We've all seen people wandering around scavenging through bins for recyclables to trade for income; either sole or supplementary.

With the attitude towards trash in this country, I can only imagine that dedicated recycling bins would at best be seen as somewhere to throw general waste in or near.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There are 'bottle bins' and separated bins dotted around. I'm told that the Thais do use them properly. Maybe not enough of them though.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

guess the PM is concerned about what the people like-- he must be up for re-election soon.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

In my opinion, Thais are excellent at recycling and reusing. Not much goes to waste here if you think about it. Anything which can be salvaged or reused is soon claimed, but the problem lies in the rubbish which cannot be reused, such as plastic bags, and the fact that most Thais don't see litter in the same light as many or most of us do.

Sad to say, but in my opinion, the only way you can change things here is by implementing fines for littering. Damn, they hate throwing money away.

A point in case: After years of trying and failing to teach kids and extended family to turn off lights, fans and etc. that they are not using I came up with a great idea. Every time you forget, you put one baht (yes only 1 baht) in the kitty which will be used for a nice day out eventually. Hahahaha, a year later the kitty is still almost empty, but lights and fans get turned off.

Make Thais pay for their packets and they will soon learn. Plastic bags can't be recycled so they are just tossed anywhere. Let's face it, you don't often see a soda can or a bottle on the side of the road because they can earn you a baht. To achieve things here, the baht has to be in the equation or else there is zero chance of success.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Takiap wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 am
Make Thais pay for their packets and they will soon learn. Plastic bags can't be recycled so they are just tossed anywhere. Let's face it, you don't often see a soda can or a bottle on the side of the road because they can earn you a baht. To achieve things here, the baht has to be in the equation or else there is zero chance of success.
well said :agree: :cheers:
same goes with polythène food boxes