Homes for old age people in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bamboo Grove

Homes for old age people in Thailand

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Does anybody have any experience of these? I'm mainly thinking about homes/institutions for Thais. My mother in law is going for a trial in Chayaphoom province, guess the place is in Chayaphoom town, not her home town of Jaturat. It doesn't sound too bad 4,500 Baht per month but you have to pay extra for the toiletries. A 9.000 Baht deposit was required and they promised they will return it, if she decides to move out. There's no way she can live at home any more and no, this is not another sick buffalo story as my missus is going to pay for it herself.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Homes for old age people in Thailand

Post by migrant »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Does anybody have any experience of these? I'm mainly thinking about homes/institutions for Thais. My mother in law is going for a trial in Chayaphoom province, guess the place is in Chayaphoom town, not her home town of Jaturat. It doesn't sound too bad 4,500 Baht per month but you have to pay extra for the toiletries. A 9.000 Baht deposit was required and they promised they will return it, if she decides to move out. There's no way she can live at home any more and no, this is not another sick buffalo story as my missus is going to pay for it herself.
I can't offer any info but would be interested in what you find out, and how it works out! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Sounds very cheap, my dad stayed in a care home with full time care and it was around 30k a month...I guess the pkace your talking about doesnt have the care part.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

As a price comparison, the live in Nurse I had for my old man cost B13,500 per month for 6 days plus B 300 if she worked Sunday's. This was from a Bangkok agency, which has now ceased trading so sorry I can't give you the number, but there are lots.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Baanguru
Novice
Novice

Post by Baanguru »

As far as I know Thailand government has an elderly care facility though I am not sure of it it's 100% free. If you have a budget you can also opt to private facility for the elderly.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

NOKYAI wrote:
As a price comparison, the live in Nurse I had for my old man cost B13,500 per month for 6 days plus B 300 if she worked Sunday's.
We asked a private nurse and she quoted 300 Baht per day. I don't know how long she would have spent at the MIL's house, though. Plus everything else would have cost extra. Let's see how this one works out.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I think there could be a business opportunity for someone to set up nursing/retirement homes here for UK seniors. The costs back in the UK are truly staggering, 50/k £'s per annum is not unusual. To make it viable some sort of agreement with the U.K. Government regarding health insurance would probably be required but it could be win/win all round.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Looked inrto that dundrillin .....everything is fine until they need hospital time! These are people that no insurance company will touch at anything like reasonable rates.....for good reason.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
rynka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by rynka »

This one has links to several retirement homes in Chiang Mai & Pattaya.
https://iglu.net/care-facilities-for-el ... -thailand/

and this one is located in Hua Hin
https://www.sichasia.com/
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

NOKYAI wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:25 pm Looked inrto that dundrillin .....everything is fine until they need hospital time! These are people that no insurance company will touch at anything like reasonable rates.....for good reason.
I was pieasantly surprised with my quote for health insurance (Cigma via AABrokers) so I think the health insurance problem is not insurmountable. ( if no significant health exclusions,I know that can be a big "if" )
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dundrillin wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:15 pm
NOKYAI wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:25 pm Looked inrto that dundrillin .....everything is fine until they need hospital time! These are people that no insurance company will touch at anything like reasonable rates.....for good reason.
I was pieasantly surprised with my quote for health insurance (Cigma via AABrokers) so I think the health insurance problem is not insurmountable. ( if no significant health exclusions,I know that can be a big "if" )
You've only repeated NOKYIA's proviso: "These are people that no insurance company will touch at anything like reasonable rates". Yes I am pleased with my (inpatient only plus all cancer) insurance cost, but I don't have serious pre-existing conditons or major health worries. Insurance actuaries are realists, as are insurers; they don't give cover away.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:07 pm
dundrillin wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:15 pm
You've only repeated NOKYIA's proviso: "These are people that no insurance company will touch at anything like reasonable rates". Yes I am pleased with my (inpatient only plus all cancer) insurance cost, but I don't have serious pre-existing conditons or major health worries. Insurance actuaries are realists, as are insurers; they don't give cover away.
Actually I didn't, my comment is that a retirement home in Thailand is feasible as many people will be able to get health cover at reasonable cost. I don't think anyone would say it is suitable for everybody, many retirement homes in the U.K. are extremely expensive and many are low quality.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Actually I didn't, my comment is that a retirement home in Thailand is feasible as many people will be able to get health cover at reasonable cost. I don't think anyone would say it is suitable for everybody, many retirement homes in the U.K. are extremely expensive and many are low quality.
[/quote]

With respect I think we have to be clear on the differences in the UK between 'retirement' homes and 'residential care' - then there is also residential nursing care. They all have a different purpose and the costs reflect that.

UK Retirement homes are housing suitable for the elderly, usually provided by housing associations at a market rent, and sometimes warden controlled for extra safety. Residential care is literally for those needing some non nursing care, who are expected to fund their care on a means tested basis, Nursing care homes are what the name implies so are much more expensive.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Margaret you're right of course. Terminology hides a massive difference in costs and levels of care. In the UK 'Sheltered housing' for example is yet another.

If we can find out exactly what 'level of care' the OP was looking for , we can get the thread back to helping them maybe.

Over to you Bamboo Grove?
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Over to you Bamboo Grove?
I don't know if these different levels exist in Thailand and neither was that the purpose when I asked the question. My MIL has been staying in a kind of a nursing home in Chayaphoom. They've taken relatively good care of her. My own mother has been in a what Mags calls nursing care home, where she has her own room but has nurses to take care of her for 24 hours a day. Both have been good so it really doesn't matter to me what you call them and in any case, I just don't think you have these different classifications in Thailand, as of yet. Or do you?