Homes for old age people in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Homes for old age people in Thailand

Post by Vital Spark »

In answer to your question, Bamboo Grove, as far as Thai people are concerned who can't afford private care there is a big difference. We live next to a government Old Folks' Home. I only see the residents when I'm mowing the garden, and some of them come out from their rooms to watch. Some of them have difficulty in walking, and they have a plastic chair to shuffle along with. Some are obviously suffering from some kind of dementia and make strange noises at night. Some look pretty healthy, but, I guess, have no where to live. Mostly on the weekends a bus-load of people will turn up to 'entertain' them. That's when our dog (who pops over there regularly) returns with buns, and other stuff that the old folk don't want.

As far as I can see, none of the residents' rooms are are conditioned, but the main big office is nicely cool with all the mod cons. A few months ago they were bathing the naked residents, male and female, in full view of our house with a 'bucket and chuck it' affair. Elderly females were standing naked, while elderly males were waiting in line. :shock:

To sum up, the place next door to us is where you can off-load your old mum or dad if you don't want to pay any money, or they don't have any children to take care of them. It's not the sort of place I would like to end up in.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

VS, I agree, there are all kinds of places and not all of them are nice. In the case of my own mother here in Finland, it's been a great place. She couldn't survive on her own any more. Last Christmas, I had to more or less carry her to the bathroom about 5 times a night. Now she's in much better shape and taken good care of. And all this is because of the good welfare system we have here in Finland. Also I think my MIL is ok but I'll know more about that soon as my missus is going to see her soon.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Also, everyone, please take note, my original question was more than a year ago. And yes, we are quite happy about the place where my MIL is.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following was screened on Discovery Channel last night. It was more about Dementia and the services provided for that. From other sources it appears that this place has been open for about 5 years, and Centara Hotels may be involved with it. As with a lot of these types of facilities there is no mention of costs on the Website. The original advertising from 5 years ago states: "from 37,000 Baht /month". I warrant it is a great deal more than that now, depending on what services are required.

http://www.careresortchiangmai.com/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
paladinfes
Novice
Novice

Post by paladinfes »

Sunshine International Retirement Residences (Hua Hin)
(link removed)

looks nice
sounds good

i have not visited and do no know anyone who has

if anyone investigates, please inform me of your opinion
Last edited by PeteC on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link