Jumping through hoops in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
RCer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by RCer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:14 pm

It seems there is a lot of discussion regarding being made to jump through hoops here in LOS. My observation is a bit different.

In the west we have wonderful things like Welfare and other social services that are designed to keep people gainfully unemployed. Consequently most things we do with our respective governments are automated and quite often we simply need to do a single step to get things moving in the right direction.

In the LOS there is basically no welfare system. If you want to eat, you work. As such a lot of things seen as hoops, simply keep someone employed. Sure, there is a lot of what in the west would be seemingly unnecessary paperwork and its a pain trying to keep up with the rule changes.

I actually kind of like it. After a career in Telecommunications Engineering, its refreshing dealing with a real person rather than a computer. If you show patience and respect, you get exactly that back. Of course if you show a lack or either, you'll get that back too, but probably 5x to 10x more.

User avatar
buksida
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16879
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:25 pm
Location: south of sanity
Contact:

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by buksida » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:57 pm

I don't think it is primarily about the actual hoops that many grumble, it is more the vast inconsistencies in their diameters and their ever shifting height from the ground that cause people problems in Thailand! :mrgreen:

Give me a machine any day.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
hhfarang
Hero
Hero
Posts: 10918
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:27 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by hhfarang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Life seems very uncomplicated and stress free to me right now compared to my ten years in Hua Hin.

I don't ever have to report my whereabouts to anyone (except the missus :mrgreen: ); I don't have to fill out a stack of paperwork each year and pay a fee just to stay here; I don't have to fill out any paperwork or pay a fee to leave here; I don't worry about police stops, roadblocks, or even traffic jams while I'm driving; the streets are clean and free of wild dogs, motorbikes, and potholes; It's safe to ride a bicycle; I never get frustrated trying to find or buy something I need or want, or trying to explain something to someone, or trying to find my way somewhere; clothing fits me right off the rack and XL means XL; the only paperwork I have to do on a scheduled basis is my annual income taxes (which I had to do in Thailand too); it's quiet; I wake up each day to a very pleasant and varied climate and with beautiful and varied geography and topography all around me; I drink tap water and my property contains no water pumps; my programmable central air conditioning and heating system keeps my entire home at the perfect temperature 24/7 without me even having to think about it; I don't worry about flooding; I'm not involved in a constant struggle to protect my home and family against the environment or snakes or rats or termites or mosquitoes, or ants, or lizards, or whatever shows up each day; I'm surrounded by loads of friends, family, and neighbors that speak the same language I do and have most things in common with me; the missus easily found a good job on arrival making a decent income, etc., etc., etc.

All I have to do each day is relax or go out and have some fun (oh, and all the housework :oops: ).

Life is good. :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

Henry 14th
Professional
Professional
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:37 am

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by Henry 14th » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:23 am

Sounds like you weren't a very good fit for living in Thailand.

Thoe only thing on your list of negatives that have bothered me in my 10 years of living here is the frustration of not been understood.

After 10 years that is no ones fault but mine as I have done little to learn the language.

Sounds like you are living a more enjoyable life there, that's the most important thing.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

User avatar
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by Name Taken » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:00 am

I agree with a lot of the things hhfarang said in his post.
Thailand has got very loooong way to go before becoming a modern and civilized country. I think improving the educational system here in Thailand would be a good start.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by StevePIraq » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:57 am

I would agree with 99% of the things HHFarang states. It all makes me wonder why I stay, but then I realize I am married, have bought a house and the dreaded land I cannot sell.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by Name Taken » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:44 am

I think the Europeans that live here in Thailand and us Americans that live here in Thailand have a radically different view of how things are and how things should be. There is definitely a clash of cultures going on here.
The Europeans seem to be very content with how things are in Thailand and very supportive of Thai people and keeping things the way they are here.
The Americans(me included) are not nearly as content as the Europeans with how things are in Thailand and would like to see more changes occur in a positive way.






And I don't like Black(Blood) Pudding.
Last edited by Name Taken on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deep Blue
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by Deep Blue » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:55 am

hhfarang wrote:Life seems very uncomplicated and stress free to me right now compared to my ten years in Hua Hin.

I don't ever have to report my whereabouts to anyone (except the missus :mrgreen: ); I don't have to fill out a stack of paperwork each year and pay a fee just to stay here; I don't have to fill out any paperwork or pay a fee to leave here; I don't worry about police stops, roadblocks, or even traffic jams while I'm driving; the streets are clean and free of wild dogs, motorbikes, and potholes; It's safe to ride a bicycle; I never get frustrated trying to find or buy something I need or want, or trying to explain something to someone, or trying to find my way somewhere; clothing fits me right off the rack and XL means XL; the only paperwork I have to do on a scheduled basis is my annual income taxes (which I had to do in Thailand too); it's quiet; I wake up each day to a very pleasant and varied climate and with beautiful and varied geography and topography all around me; I drink tap water and my property contains no water pumps; my programmable central air conditioning and heating system keeps my entire home at the perfect temperature 24/7 without me even having to think about it; I don't worry about flooding; I'm not involved in a constant struggle to protect my home and family against the environment or snakes or rats or termites or mosquitoes, or ants, or lizards, or whatever shows up each day; I'm surrounded by loads of friends, family, and neighbors that speak the same language I do and have most things in common with me; the missus easily found a good job on arrival making a decent income, etc., etc., etc.

All I have to do each day is relax or go out and have some fun (oh, and all the housework :oops: ).

Life is good. :D
How many guns to you have for home defense? Do you have a license to carry? Do you feel safe going out at night? Have you had an incredible dumb savage 17 year old stick a gun in your face at your local gas station? The UK has a 0.9 murder rate per 100 thousand you have a 5.1, you go to South Carolina it jumps to 6.4 and Louisiana 10.3, now we're approaching Syria's LOL, and if dumb kids don't kill you the cops might. Oh did I mention removing a wood splinter at a hospital will cost about 25,000 USD.

dundrillin
Guru
Guru
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 am
Location: huahin

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by dundrillin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Name Taken wrote:I think the Europeans that live here in Thailand and us Americans that live here in Thailand have a radically different view of how things are and how things should be. There is definitely a clash of cultures going on here.
The Europeans seem to be very content with how things are in Thailand and very supportive of Thai people and keeping things the way they are here.
The Americans(me included) are not nearly as content as the Europeans with how things are in Thailand and would like to see more changes occur in a positive way.
I can't speak for my fellow Europeans but for me personally I found the ever increasing intrusion of the state along with being taxed to death then taxed more after death a pain. Of course Thailand has its faults and the remedy of these faults will require action on many different levels not least of which is the broadening and deepening of the tax base. When that occurs we will no doubt moan about that.

User avatar
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by Name Taken » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Deep Blue wrote:Oh did I mention removing a wood splinter at a hospital will cost about 25,000 USD.
:shock:

RCer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by RCer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Name Taken wrote:I think the Europeans that live here in Thailand and us Americans that live here in Thailand have a radically different view of how things are and how things should be. There is definitely a clash of cultures going on here.
The Europeans seem to be very content with how things are in Thailand and very supportive of Thai people and keeping things the way they are here.
The Americans(me included) are not nearly as content as the Europeans with how things are in Thailand and would like to see more changes occur in a positive way.
Interesting. I've found it completely opposite and I'm American. I am almost totally comfortable with how things are done by the Thai people and government.

My only problem is having to use different prescription meds which my body is not happy about.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by StevePIraq » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Maybe this thread is becoming more of a Satisfaction with Thailand than Jumping through hoops discussion
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

RCer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by RCer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:46 pm

StevePIraq wrote:Maybe this thread is becoming more of a Satisfaction with Thailand than Jumping through hoops discussion
My original post was to point out my view as to why those hoops exist and the fact that I do not understand why people have a problem with things not being done the same way here as they are back "home".

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by StevePIraq » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:04 pm

I see your point and agree to a point, however one must understand that Thailand is a developing country, quite a way behind Indonesia, Malaysia and the likes who are also developing countries.

Thailand as with many other developing countries has it's ways and is not really willing to compromise and utilize systems developed elsewhere. Like it or not that is the way it is. It is hard I know.

My wife calls me Mr. Why as I am always asking why is it like this or that as it could be so much easier, her answer "This is Thailand"
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Jumping through hoops in Thailand

Post by MajorBloodnok » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:10 pm

Deep Blue wrote:
hhfarang wrote:Life seems very uncomplicated and stress free to me right now compared to my ten years in Hua Hin.(?)
All I have to do each day is relax or go out and have some fun (oh, and all the housework :oops: ). SAME HERE!
Life is good. :D
SAME HERE!

"How many guns to you have for home defense? Do you have a license to carry? Do you feel safe going out at night? Have you had an incredible dumb savage 17 year old stick a gun in your face at your local gas station? The UK has a 0.9 murder rate per 100 thousand you have a 5.1, you go to South Carolina it jumps to 6.4 and Louisiana 10.3, now we're approaching Syria's LOL, and if dumb kids don't kill you the cops might. Oh did I mention removing a wood splinter at a hospital will cost about 25,000 USD.
:thumb:

Americans living in other states may beg to differ:
No hurricanes? No tornados? No wildfires? No floods? No earthquakes?
Murder rate?

Thailand has to become "civilised"?
Well, do you remember the disgraceful scenes in the New Orleans Superdome after hurricane Katrina?

Thailand behind(?) other Asian states?
Malaysia = corrupt + muslim!
Indonesia another muslim shithole!

Philippines (before Duterte) a quagmire of corruption & drug crime!
Foreigners = fair game for all kinds of thugs!
My wife is from the Philippines! Why do you think she preferred to settle in Thailand?

So far nobody has ever asked or ordered me to jump through any hoops!
Being disabled, I couldn't anyway!

LONG LIVE THAILAND! :thumb:

MB
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests