Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

Post by huahin4ever »

And just to put the China - US trade balance in a perspective:

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=17257#.WM0b0_nytaQ
YNWA
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Thing to remember about the shops here vs the US. You are greeted when you walk in the door.

US malls have really been hit hard because of the internet and the lack of customer service. People figure its better to interact with a faceless person than deal with an attitude face to face.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

China is not really a 'manufacturing' hub for U.S. but more of an 'assembly' hub for U.S. products, and some of the materials that are used to make a product do indeed come from the U.S.
I've been looking at U.S. kitchen appliances and find it's just the opposite. Many, if not most, of the parts are made in China and the end product is assembled in the U.S.

I have a friend in Hua Hin who for many years worked as a manufacturing executive for a Swedish company in Shanghai China. He said there are all levels of quality manufactured there. If you are willing to pay the price you can get goods made in China that are comparable to the quality of the best in the rest of the world. If you want cheap they have the lowest quality cheap goods too. It's up to the company/individual making the purchase to choose what quality they want vs what price they are willing to pay.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

RCer wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:45 pm Thing to remember about the shops here vs the US. You are greeted when you walk in the door.

US malls have really been hit hard because of the internet and the lack of customer service. People figure its better to interact with a faceless person than deal with an attitude face to face.
Yes, greeted by a Thai person that can't speak English.

And I agree, buying stuff from an internet retailer is much less of a hassle than dealing with rude sales people.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't mind the 'greeting at the door', in fact I quite like it. However, what I don't like is the constant badgering while you browse - these people are basically chasing me out of their shop. Then there's the desire to barter - I don't do barter. Of course, if they barter, they start at a stupid price. Again, this is chasing me away.

I can browse from the comfort of my armchair with absolutely no hassle at all. Yes, there was a fair bit of trepidation the first few times I ordered on line, but confidence soon grew. If I don't like the price, I just carry on browsing.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I live to barter. Trouble is my Thai wife doesn't like it when I do that. :D
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 am I don't mind the 'greeting at the door', in fact I quite like it. However, what I don't like is the constant badgering while you browse - these people are basically chasing me out of their shop. Then there's the desire to barter - I don't do barter. Of course, if they barter, they start at a stupid price. Again, this is chasing me away.

I can browse from the comfort of my armchair with absolutely no hassle at all. Yes, there was a fair bit of trepidation the first few times I ordered on line, but confidence soon grew. If I don't like the price, I just carry on browsing.
:agree:

I don't like being badgered while I shop and browse either.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

RCer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 am I live to barter. Trouble is my Thai wife doesn't like it when I do that. :D
I know some people love it, and fair play to them, respect in fact. I don't like it, neither do I want to do it. A catch 22 situation for the shopkeeper - you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

bargaining is arguing about the price---bartering is exchanging goods for goods with no exchange of money.
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

"US malls have really been hit hard because of the internet and the lack of customer service. People figure its better to interact with a faceless person than deal with an attitude face to face."

RCer, not sure where you got your info about "US Malls have really been hit hard because of the internet...." Nothing could be further from the truth. Bricks and mortar in the US has never been stronger, rents and occupancy are both up and National Retailers are expanding at rates much faster than any other time. While it is true that the internet has had an effect it is in mid to low single digit percentages. There are major developers cutting their losses in secondary markets closing "C" malls however they are expanding with "A" properties just as fast on the other end, this is true in the full retail as well as the Outlet world. What you are seeing is the dumping of non performing centers and the retrofit and expansion of performing centers. If you look at the ratios of population vs sq feet of retail in markets you will see that many major markets are close to if not "over retailed" and still performing well.

For what it's worth I am a developer of major shopping centers in the US and have built and managed three of the largest outlet shopping centers in North America!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

dennism53 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm
RCer, not sure where you got your info about "US Malls have really been hit hard because of the internet...." Nothing could be further from the truth.
From witnessing major stores failing and personal experience with the horrible customer service.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

J.C.Penney just announced that they are closing 138 stores, most of then in malls, thats going to hurt.
One forecast is that a third of all malls will close in the next few years,
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Agree, US malls are crashing fast. One of the first and largest in Philly area, went for $1 dollar. They couldn't give it away. Might turn it into housing.

When in US 17 years ago, I started shopping online and avoided malls like the plague.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

dennism53 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm "US malls have really been hit hard because of the internet and the lack of customer service. People figure its better to interact with a faceless person than deal with an attitude face to face."

RCer, not sure where you got your info about "US Malls have really been hit hard because of the internet...." Nothing could be further from the truth. Bricks and mortar in the US has never been stronger, rents and occupancy are both up and National Retailers are expanding at rates much faster than any other time. While it is true that the internet has had an effect it is in mid to low single digit percentages. There are major developers cutting their losses in secondary markets closing "C" malls however they are expanding with "A" properties just as fast on the other end, this is true in the full retail as well as the Outlet world. What you are seeing is the dumping of non performing centers and the retrofit and expansion of performing centers. If you look at the ratios of population vs sq feet of retail in markets you will see that many major markets are close to if not "over retailed" and still performing well.

For what it's worth I am a developer of major shopping centers in the US and have built and managed three of the largest outlet shopping centers in North America!

Well, then i'm sure your opinion is totally unbiased. :roll: :laugh:
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

Without question I'm biased!

But not emotional enough to let unsubstantiated observations get in the way of good business decisions!

JCP as a retailer has been holding on by finger nails for 20 years, stores that they are closing most likely average 30 years old, they are tired 3rd tier losers that should have been closed. I would challenge anyone to name a major A shopping center opened in the last 5 years that has JCP as an anchor.

How old was this mall in Philly 40 years old,....that's exactly what you see closing all over yet the sq footage of retail in markets keeps increasing with new Lifestyle and Entertainment Centers.

Believe me when I say don't feel bad for any REIT's.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST