Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

Post by STEVE G »

...one of the factors that came and then went in the west was the Mall as a fun place to go,...
That's because every time you go to a mall, you have to buy your partner a new pair of shoes and that is not anywhere near my definition of "fun".
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ So true. I think any woman born after 1970 never learned the art of "window shopping", without having overpowering urges to buy something. :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

if you control the money you're "paying the cost to be the boss" so it's up to you whether or not she buys the window.
bluelagoon

Post by bluelagoon »

C'mon guys...who is in charge?!! (ok it's not always us I agree! :mrgreen: )...but at one point it's up to a guy to make things clear that he is just not another of those stupid "farangs" who is considered as a sucker just worth to pay!!....

It's how one molds the relationship right at the beginning that makes all the difference when the relationship evolves....start to pay at each whim at the mall after two days you meet your thai candy and she'll get worse...be firm and make things clear from the start that you are not a sucker, and if she's worth the ride, she will understand....if not, I would dump her, run and find another gal....that's how I (try) make things function here..does not always work I agree and I may be wrong, but then gals are gals everywhere?...enjoy
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Malls shore up for online deluge

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... ine-deluge

Has the Thai shopping mall era come to an unceremonious end? With nearly everything now available with the touch of a button, physical shopping centres have been forced to fight for their commercial lives. That is no small task, with new online retailers willing to suffer losses for years to stake their claim in a piece of the market, all the while wooing sellers with their size, lower prices and shorter shipping times.

Online retailers are gobbling up market share at a breakneck clip in developing markets. While some sectors like food and drinks remain fierce contenders in the brick-and-mortar arena, sales of apparel, cosmetics and electronics are quickly retreating from shopping centres.

But while analysts have predicted doom and gloom for many a year, malls have yet to turn into ghost towns, with major shopping centre owners in Thailand maintaining sunny forecasts for their future earnings.

Perhaps boosting their optimism is the fact that online retail behemoths like Amazon are looking to throw their hat into the offline game to boost their marketing and distribution prowess. After all, consumers are still looking for the all-immersive experience, sampling the fruit (or feeling a dress's fabric) before they buy. Brick-and-mortar stores also remain the champions of impulse purchases that are less likely to transpire online.

BIG TRANSFORMATION

"Malls must pull in customers through services that can't be replicated on the web like beauty salons, co-working spaces or water theme parks," said Wuttikiat Techamongklapiwat, executive vice-president of property and lifestyle mall at Robinson Plc.

He said Thai retailers are adapting their business models to a rapidly changing retail landscape, which is now dominated by online sales and digital solutions.

article to big to post.......................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Interesting article. They are not sitting back saying - Oh it will not happen here, Thais are not like that, as I thought they might.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Amazon Europe has a lot of people based here in Luxembourg, where I work and the other night I was talking with an American who works in their product compliance department and he told me he never buys anything from them. He admitted that the site was awash with Chinese copies, particularly when it comes to clothing and sports products.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

reduce the import tax and watch local sales increase, thereby making up for the decrease in tax. or get rid of the vat and the same thing will happen. who ever thought of the name,"Value added tax" should be taken out and shot.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Steve--I am not sure what you mean by 'Chinese Copies' the originals are made in China.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Nereus wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:42 am Malls shore up for online deluge

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... ine-deluge

BIG TRANSFORMATION

"Malls must pull in customers through services that can't be replicated on the web like beauty salons, co-working spaces or water theme parks," said Wuttikiat Techamongklapiwat, executive vice-president of property and lifestyle mall at Robinson Plc.

This is exactly what is happening in the UK, except that we don't call them 'malls' - it' usually shopping centres. Most now house a cinema and often gym etc as well as the obligatory beauty bars and restaurants. But they seem to be running out of ideas to fill their vacant units.
When our first shopping centres opened in Hull in the 70'/80's they were full of little independent retailers alongside some of the big boys, and one had a great food court with smoking area. Strangely that place closed not long after the smoking ban came in.... it wasn't just pubs that suffered.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 pm Steve--I am not sure what you mean by 'Chinese Copies' the originals are made in China.
Counterfeit products; Amazon is about as reliable as a Thai street market for buying sports clothing.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Clothing is about the only thing I refuse to buy online. Its not about quality, its about fit.

That said, where does a farang find pants (jeans) here that don't climb up your butt crack? Lol
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

What they said in 1999 about Amazon.com and Jeff Bezos [ an Amazing guy ]

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As an aside, I ordered a couple of items from Argos in the UK for my daughter. I realised on my initial order that I'd got the wrong delivery address on the order. I clicked the 'contact' button on their website and was immediately to 'Messenger' where I gave my problem. Within a few minutes I got the advice that the order should be cancelled and resubmitted. "Shall I cancel this order for you?" to which I said "Yes please". "Ok. Done"
Very impressed bearing in mind that it was 3am in the UK but still got a fast response.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Are you sure you were actually dealing with a human? A lot of simple queries on websites are dealt with by digital assistants these days.