The History of Southeast Asia

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

The History of Southeast Asia

Post by PeteC »

This one will give even history scholars a headache. :shock: Regardless, it's worth watching and perhaps merits additional research if anyone is so inclined. One point I find interesting is that there was a Kingdom or State named Phetchaburi starting around 795 AD and lasting until about 900 AD that is in the exact same location as Phetchaburi today. That is one of the few place names on the map I can recognize before more modern times. Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Re: The History of Southeast Asia

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Oh my Buddha and for years I've thought, I''m the only one on this forum interested in the history and the culture of the area. Plenty of things, I'd like to talk about but everytime I've started a thread on Thai culture or history, I've been beaten by threads like, where to find British mustard in Hua Hin. Thanks, Pete.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Very Interesting, Thanks Pete!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:33 am Oh my Buddha and for years I've thought, I''m the only one on this forum interested in the history and the culture of the area. Plenty of things, I'd like to talk about but everytime I've started a thread on Thai culture or history, I've been beaten by threads like, where to find British mustard in Hua Hin. Thanks, Pete.
I've found your Thai history threads very enlightening - problem is I never know enough to contribute.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Interesting map though, I was completely unaware of most of that, and I doubt many Thais are aware either.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BG will know, I hope.

The ever changing borders of Thailand, regardless of name, was that down to wars?

Points 41; Position 18
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Thanks for sharing.

Recent readings about the British Empire in Asia has lead me to curiosity about the French Colonization of Indo China, and I always wondered what was the true story behand that sequence in the move Apocalypse Now with the French farmes/Settlers in Laos, where Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) dines with them.

I subsequently bought on Amazon a book about it - "INDO CHINA - An Ambiguous Colonization 18585 - 1954"
I shall report back when I have anything of perceived interest to contribute.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I watched the video and truly enough, there was the name of Petchaburi but I have never come across a state called Petchaburi. I have written some essays (in Finnish) about the pre-history as well as of the different states along the Mekong-river but I have never come across a state called this. Doesn't mean it didn't exist, though. There are several theories about the pre-historic times of the area, which falls to the era of the above mentioned time and I have mainly concentrated on how the Tais came to South-East Asia. Maybe in the summer time when I have more time, I will try to find more about this.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I haven't come to grips yet with the colour coded boxes and if they have some meaning that is not immediately obvious. The Phetchaburi colour I think was listed as Khmer Empire so an assumption could be that it was part of, but perhaps semi-autonomous? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The scene in A Now where they eat with the French family was edited out of the original version. Later they released a 'Directors cut,about 20+min longer with that scene in. It really improved the movie, gave it some perspective.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:36 am The scene in A Now where they eat with the French family was edited out of the original version. Later they released a 'Directors cut,about 20+min longer with that scene in. It really improved the movie, gave it some perspective.
Could you please expand on what you're saying please. I was baffled, but assumed your post meant something to somebody, but we are now getting enquiries asking what on Earth you're saying, and what does it have to do with this thread??

Points 41; Position 18
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^
a reply to Frank La Rue's post - ref. the Vietnam war movie Apocalypse Now.
GN.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:banghead: A Now

Why can't people write in English, rather than code? :cuss:

Thanks GN :thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:36 am The scene in A Now where they eat with the French family was edited out of the original version. Later they released a 'Directors cut,about 20+min longer with that scene in. It really improved the movie, gave it some perspective.
With regard to that, I found this website that has a bit about that scene and apparently there was still the odd French rubber farmer active in the region through the 1960's.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:39 pm
Could you please expand on what you're saying please. I was baffled, but assumed your post meant something to somebody, but we are now getting enquiries asking what on Earth you're saying, and what does it have to do with this thread??
Oakdale was reffering to a section in my post about a scene from the movie "Apocallypse Now". He is right that the scene with the French settlers were edited out in the original release - I have the Directors Cut - version so it's in there and it is a reference to the fact that the French were in Indo China before the US.

Those settlers born there of french descent must have a story to tell.

I recently finisehd a book by John Keay "Mad About the Mekong" - a true story about the first french expedition in an effort to travel Mekong from end to beginning. It has some allusions to brithish travels in Africa and as I understand it was the beginning of French coloniasation in Indo China
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.