How has the terrorism of 2016 affected tourism in HH?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
baningpu
Novice
Novice

How has the terrorism of 2016 affected tourism in HH?

Post by baningpu »

Let me preface this with saying that I have been here once before in 2014 and I (with my naïve eyes) haven't seen any noticeable difference in prices of hotels/public presence of police or number of tourists. However I saw some article the other day reporting the effects as drastic. I'd love to hear from some of you wonderful people!
buksida

Re: How has the terrorism of 2016 affected tourism in HH?

Post by buksida »

Since you haven't had a reply I'll give it a go ...

Terrorism will affect travel to any country afflicted by it and yes those that live here will see 2017 tourist numbers way down on previous years. Where I live in the south you can often go for days without even seeing another white person at this time of year, hasn't been like that since the 90s!

I think three more factors that directly impact tourism, specifically to Hua Hin are:

1) Military dictatorship - many travel companies/agents overseas will not issue insurance or promote destinations with no government/military regimes.
2) Exchange rate - with weak British and European currencies and ever increasing prices in Thailand it is no longer the cheap holiday destination it used to be.
3) Visa clampdowns - constant visa confusion and crackdowns also put people off, when they're turned away from extending their tourist visas or an inordinate amount of paperwork is demanded just to go on holiday it leaves a sour taste, Thailand is no longer considered as welcoming.

Just observations but until all four of these factors change for the better I can't see tourists flocking back soon in the numbers we had a few years ago.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
baningpu
Novice
Novice

Post by baningpu »

I hadn't even considered those other three factors. A very interesting read indeed, thank you for the answer. This question has been burning on my mind for my whole trip.
limbu

Post by limbu »

The owner of Dream Cones, my favourite downtown ice cream parlour, says his business has suffered since the Hua Hin bombings in August 2016. Since then the number of European and Australian customers has dropped, while the number of Chinese visiting Hua Hin, not known as an ice cream eating people, is slowly rising.