Why can't Farangs stop complaining?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Why can't Farangs stop complaing

Post by Norseman »

Spitfire wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 pm
TBH.....Thailand was a way more enjoyable place to be 15 years ago.
Indeed it was and I am also reserving my rights to moan about all and everything! (But I do love to live in Thailand).
Despite of the amount of totally incompetent drivers and other morons living in this country.
The OP clearly doesn't have any public school children to take care of because their knowledge is next to none.
Complain? No. It's after all their country and you have nothing else to teach any local because you're just a stupid farang.
But we still love the country and are not going back to our origin, wherever that might be!
Why should we?
Just don't tell us not to complain!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Why can't Farangs stop complaining?

Post by HHTel »

Thailand is safer than Switzerland if motor bikes are excluded from the statistics). Things we farangs see happening on the road sometimes seem very strange to us. That doesn’t mean however that these are always wrong or dangerous. Thai’s have a lot more common sense than Farangs give them credit for and most of them are certainly more intelligent. More often than not we are the ones doing and saying stupid things.
Take away motorbikes, unregistered vehicles, unlicensed drivers and the roads will be much safer as there'll only be half the traffic we are used to.
Thai children's average intelligence quotient (IQ) is just 98.59, a little lower than the world's median of 100, according to new research. Of 72,780 Thai students surveyed recently, 6.5 per cent suffered intellectual disability because their IQs were lower than 70
The average IQ in Thailand is 91 putting them at joint 16th. Most of Europe are above or level with the mean average of 100, although the highest IQ is Hong Kong and Singapore. South Korea, Japan, China and Taiwan are all above Europe.

Now, I'm not knocking Thais but just arguing what you state. I've been here 15 years and have no plans to move away. That doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to criticise/suggest changes to the country where I live. As has already been said, changes can be made for the better without adversely affecting the way of life/culture here.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Ha ha Norseman...agree dude. Smoked you out for a post...I'm impressed.

o7
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When it comes to the joys of complaining, where I work in Europe nearly everyone drives around the same large, chaotic roundabout to get to work and every morning, I hear everyone complaining about how bad all the other drivers are and I'm always wondering just who exactly all these abysmal drivers are!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Let it be, enjoy life and stop complaining! If you can’t do that go back to your own country and good riddance.
I did just that two and a half years ago and it's the best decision I ever made. Yeah, taxes are a bit higher (and health care a lot higher), but every other aspect of life is way better and I feel safer and feel I have much more freedom than I did over my ten years in Thailand.
Thailand is a wonderful country to live in otherwise so many farangs wouldn’t be living here
A good many of the farangs I met there were living there because they were married to a Thai, others were running or hiding out because of something they did back in their home country. A few (mostly Europeans or Californians) were there because the cost of living was so much cheaper than where they came from. I met very few who were there out of their sheer love of the country.
There is a massive feeling of freedom and relaxation here
I rarely felt that way. If your definition of freedom is having to constantly report your whereabouts to government, have your finances monitored and enforced by government, or wonder when you will be pulled over for little or no reason by corrupt police and forced to pay extortion money to be allowed to go on your way, and jump through hoops of paperwork to stay there or to leave temporarily and come back, then I would be really afraid to visit your home country. As for relaxation, I finally had to resort to having custom moulded ear plugs (generally made for people who work around helicopters a lot) made just to get a good night's sleep there.
I feel much safer walking down a dark street in Thailand than I would in any European street
I have to agree on that one as the only three times in my life that I have personally been robbed or had robbery/mugging attempted were all in Europe. I try not to walk down dark streets any more but generally I feel much safer now than I did living there.
On the whole driving is safer in Thailand than in Europe
Admittedly, the last time I drove in Europe was in the 80's, but I'd be shocked and very surprised if that statement is true.
Would you like daily speeding- and parking fines dropping thru the letter box
Don't speed and park illegally and you'd avoid that. In nearly three years back neither I nor my wife have been stopped by a policeman or received a fine for anything. I was frequently stopped there usually for nothing at all or for something so minor a cop here wouldn't look at you twice about it. I had to pay extortion to corrupt police three times for no or some ridiculous reason.

So anyway, I did as you suggest and got out and am very happy with that decision.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Great post HHFarang. Ok, it wasn't the place for you but the points you make are quite valid.

I notice HarryV hasn't been back with a response!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

stretch wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm but your complaining
He's complaining about complainers. :laugh:
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Norseman wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 pm
Spitfire wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 pm
TBH.....Thailand was a way more enjoyable place to be 15 years ago.
Just don't tell us not to complain!!
That's Right!! How dare he try to stifle my Freedom of Speech!! :neener: :butt:
Shame on you HarryVardon
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

i fall under the category of having a thai wife and can't afford to live at home. if I could I'd leave here in a new York minute. mainly because the climate and culture doesn't suit me. most of the things read about living in Thailand, before I came here, aren't true. maybe my age and cultural needs prevent me from enjoying life here. I don't blame the Thais, there just victims of their government and culture and it's nearly impossible to overcome that combination. when you're taught obedience instead of thinking it stifles your abilities. I know Thais that moved to other countries years ago and come back here every few years to visit relatives and friends but would never live here again.