Why can't Farangs stop complaining?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Why can't Farangs stop complaining?

Post by HarryVardon »

Why can’t farangs stop complaining about Thailand and Thai people or just go home. Thailand is a wonderful country to live in otherwise so many farangs wouldn’t be living here. There is a massive feeling of freedom and relaxation here which you get no where in Europe. In Europe everyone’s daily life is run by petty rules and regulations invented by power mad civil servants and backed-up by a power mad police force. Prices are sky high because of taxes such as VAT (21% in most countries) and ridiculous charges for parking, etc. (usually more than €50 a day in most European cities). All this is just so more Civil Servants can be employed and paid higher salaries. Thailand is not like this at all. I feel much safer walking down a dark street in Thailand than I would in any European street. On the whole driving is safer in Thailand than in Europe (even the WHO states that Thailand is safer than Switzerland if motor bikes are excluded from the statistics). Things we farangs see happening on the road sometimes seem very strange to us. That doesn’t mean however that these are always wrong or dangerous. Thai’s have a lot more common sense than Farangs give them credit for and most of them are certainly more intelligent. More often than not we are the ones doing and saying stupid things. Most Europeans are complaining about their own countries being changed by the influx of muslims but these same Europeans are trying to change Thailand to be more like Europe. Why? Look for the good things in Thailand. Would you like to be paying all the direct and indirect taxes in Thailand that you would have to pay in your own country. Would you like to be paying higher prices in bars, restaurants or shops? Would you like daily speeding- and parking fines dropping thru the letter box. That is what change would lead to. Let it be, enjoy life and stop complaining! If you can’t do that go back to your own country and good riddance.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Why can't Farangs stop complaing

Post by HHTel »

Are you for real???
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:41 pm Are you for real???
:agree: Too much loopy juice or :rasta: me thinks!!
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

He probably arrived here a couple months ago.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

As it happens I've been here for more than 10 years and have found very little to complain about. I enjoy life in Thailand otherwise I would have been long gone!
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

but your complaining
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

But the OP is not complaining about Thais or Thailand - but about Falang always complaining about the Country they have chosen to live in, usually because it is much cheaper than their home Country.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Westerners have been visiting other countries, then moving to them and complaining about them for centuries. The chief complaint is how the place isn't like back home.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

I would estimate that about 90% of the OP was complete BS.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

I would disagree with you!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

centermid7 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:37 pm I would estimate that about 90% of the OP was complete BS.
I disagree with you, as well.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I'm about 90% happy with my new life in Thailand. However, I'm one of those people who are happy when they're moaning, so if something is winding me up, I'll have a good old moan, and I'll enjoy it.

Actually, one of my biggest moans is about people who say, "Let it be, enjoy life and stop complaining! If you can’t do that go back to your own country and good riddance." I'm afraid if something upsets me, I will moan. However, I'd moan wherever I was living in the world. We can't all be Mr Perfect HarryVardon I'm afraid.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well said BB.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Agree to many points in op's post, but the traffic? I wonder which planet he's been driving on??? Basically everything here is wrong with the traffic system, learning or lack thereof and how Thais drive! The worst is that I tend to become like them over time, which imo is a complete tragedy.
YNWA
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Nowhere is some sort of utopian paradise, including Thailand. I'm glad it is not the same as the EU where I come from, but it doesn't mean to say that it hasn't got it's faults and opinion of it all is a good thing.

I reserve the right to say as I see fit (other than a couple of topics) as have lived here almost 20 years now. However, most things are acceptable generally, but my main gripe here is about dealing with officialdom and the bureaucracy regarding living here. It doesn't matter how much I contribute, pay taxes, integrate myself, assist society, learn the language, marry a local, buy big ticket items etc etc etc...I am still treated the same as a two week wonder tourist. A little annoying to be honest.

Moronic and piss-taking BS is moronic piss-taking BS, where ever you are, many locals are hopelessly brainwashed. There are many apologists that think they know it all....but fail to realise that this society could be improved so much without losing it's character or individuality....many people hate progress, like the Nazis that are in charge now.

TBH.....Thailand was a way more enjoyable place to be 15 years ago.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol