Buddhism in crisis?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Buddhism in crisis?

Post by HHTel »

I'm not sure whether you're playing "Devil's Advocate" or are genuinely stupid. If it's the former then you do it well.

However, post what you like. I will not rise to the bait any more.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Thai Buddhism is in crisis and in need of reform in order to regain the ground that has been lost recently. However, good luck with that.

Meaningful reform would be a stinging nettle to grasp on this one, and it's sensitive, because by attempting to reform an institution like this would require firstly the bigwigs of Thai Buddhism admitting that there is a serious problem [might not go down well], plus a lot of stomach on behalf of the authorities...and is more likely just to be 'kicked down the road' for a future administration to tackle/look it again later. The military have enough on their plate atm really and probably don't have the will or inclination to get bogged down in this one. Might see some superficial action against low ranking rogue monks or an ID card system etc. but the real issues probably won't get addressed.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:58 pm I'm not sure whether you're playing "Devil's Advocate" or are genuinely stupid. If it's the former then you do it well.

However, post what you like. I will not rise to the bait any more.
Yes, you don't accept any other opinion or critics or facts other than your's.
You better shut up.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Please keep it on topic.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

There's Buddha and there's Buddhism, there's Christ and there's Christianity. The leaders had a revelation and the followers made up the rules. Let's build a monument to our leader but first we'll have to collect some money.......... Centuries later we have Religions Incorporated, the largest multinational in the universe. Cynical? You betcha!