Biggest Benefit to Being Expat

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Biggest Benefit to Being Expat

Post by HHTel »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:58 pm
golferstu wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:02 am Biggest benefit?

Everything is cheap. And it's hot. And it's not closed all the time.
the only things that are cheap and that is a relative term, are items grown and produced here. it also depends on where they're purchased. lettuce at the OKAY market in Cha Am is nearly 1/2 the price of lettuce at Golden Place.
There's a reason why Golden Place is a little pricier than other outlets. Most of it's products are sourced from The Royal Project sponsored by our late king. That means that in general, produce is organic or chemical safe. It's definitely worth paying that bit extra. I have shopped there many times and their produce is second to none.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:58 pm
golferstu wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:02 am Biggest benefit?

Everything is cheap. And it's hot. And it's not closed all the time.
the only things that are cheap and that is a relative term, are items grown and produced here. it also depends on where they're purchased. lettuce at the OKAY market in Cha Am is nearly 1/2 the price of lettuce at Golden Place.
There's a reason why Golden Place is a little pricier than other outlets. Most of it's products are sourced from The Royal Project sponsored by our late king. That means that in general, produce is organic or chemical safe. It's definitely worth paying that bit extra. I have shopped there many times and their produce is second to none.
Handdrummer, it's a big ask to expect things produced outside of Thailand to be cheap here? But I don't think that's what most posters are talking about when they say Thailand is cheap. We're not just talking about produce and manufactured goods.

In fact pretty much most components of your lifestyle are cheap unless you want to live the 'import only' expat life. And that costs more anywhere. I can (if I want to) live so much more cheaply here than in UK or UAE, for example. And so can most people I think.

How much would you pay for a 3 bed/bath house with garden and pool in your own country? And insure it? And insure yourself? How much for golf club membership (I don't golf but I know the costs)? Also for example,if you need to drink Sapporo or Asahi instead of Leo or Chang (I actually love Chang), that's your choice, but I anyway think they cost more than local brews anywhere in the world except Japan? Wine is a bummer though, to drink local means sacrificing a HUGE amount on quality, that's one downer I admit, but: IT''S CHEAP. :D

Maybe this question is hugely relative in that if someone before lived in a major international city then Thailand is cheap, if they previously lived in say an Indian village then ... (large difference in examples for purpose of making the point only)
golferstu

Post by golferstu »

That's a good point. And one that i am not willing to refute. I remember having to pay thirty baht a bottle at the promenade. Unfortunately, shacks became concrete, and now there is actually useful stuff among the stands, like tailors, and beauty salons.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

404, I agree with most of what you said. I don't own a house here and didn't own one in he u.s. so I can't compare. as far as rent goes I pay the same here as I did in n.w. florida but I get a larger house for my money. the quality isn't as good but I have more space. I spent a lot of time in the organic food world (I owned a health food store) and I'm still not convinced that the price difference is worth it. sometimes the organics at golden place aren't as fresh as I find at other stores. I don't and never have insured myself, never played golf, no longer drink so I can't compare those things. electricity here is more expensive, water is cheaper, petrol is higher, food, in general, is more expensive here. had I lived in a city in the u.s then it would have been more expensive to live there. life style certainly factors in and I don't have one so it's hard to make one to one comparisons. I do think that it's cheaper for two people to live here than in the u.s. but then again, it depends on where and how you live. the rural south in the u.s is cheap but I wouldn't want to live there. Bangkok costs as much as the u.s. and I wouldn't want to live there either. I think we could pro and con all day and in the end it gets down to where we feel most comfortable and where we can afford to live and where, do to whatever circumstances, we feel that we can live. a wave to the queen and the end.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

:cheers:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:37 am 404, I agree with most of what you said. I don't own a house here and didn't own one in he u.s. so I can't compare. as far as rent goes I pay the same here as I did in n.w. florida but I get a larger house for my money. the quality isn't as good but I have more space. I spent a lot of time in the organic food world (I owned a health food store) and I'm still not convinced that the price difference is worth it. sometimes the organics at golden place aren't as fresh as I find at other stores. I don't and never have insured myself, never played golf, no longer drink so I can't compare those things. electricity here is more expensive, water is cheaper, petrol is higher, food, in general, is more expensive here. had I lived in a city in the u.s then it would have been more expensive to live there. life style certainly factors in and I don't have one so it's hard to make one to one comparisons. I do think that it's cheaper for two people to live here than in the u.s. but then again, it depends on where and how you live. the rural south in the u.s is cheap but I wouldn't want to live there. Bangkok costs as much as the u.s. and I wouldn't want to live there either. I think we could pro and con all day and in the end it gets down to where we feel most comfortable and where we can afford to live and where, do to whatever circumstances, we feel that we can live. a wave to the queen and the end.
Depends where you are comparing to .
Electricity and petrol are both much cheaper here than Australia and the UK. Food is cheaper than Oz and UK. Cars are very expensive here compared to Oz and the UK and they are manufactured here.
The USA is a different market altogether compared to LOS, Oz and UK
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:23 pmWine is a bummer though, to drink local means sacrificing a HUGE amount on quality, that's one downer I admit, but: IT''S CHEAP. :D
Not sure I would agree that it's cheap, unless you are comparing it to Middle East prices, it's certainly not cheap compared to the UK and many other places, which is a bummer as you say, as the quality certainly doesn't justify the price. But I'm being churlish here as that's only one item amongst many :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 amFood is cheaper than Oz and UK.
That very much depends on what you are buying :shock:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yes of course it all depends what you buy. If you buy imported products in Thailand it is going to cost you a packet compared to local products.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

aragon wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:57 am
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:23 pmWine is a bummer though, to drink local means sacrificing a HUGE amount on quality, that's one downer I admit, but: IT''S CHEAP. :D
Not sure I would agree that it's cheap, unless you are comparing it to Middle East prices, it's certainly not cheap compared to the UK and many other places, which is a bummer as you say, as the quality certainly doesn't justify the price. But I'm being churlish here as that's only one item amongst many :cheers:
A 4 litre wine box (5.3 x 70 cl. bottles) of the local stuff at 750 Baht works out about 3 quid a bottle (UK). I'm not up on UK prices, is that not cheaper than cheap plonk there? I assumed still maybe a fiver a bottle in UK. I do think it's cheaper than Dubai (even the hole in the wall places, without the alcohol tax added).

Anyway at that price I don't expect it to taste too much above vinegar, once it's warm. :D
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

aragon wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 am
StevePIraq wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 amFood is cheaper than Oz and UK.
That very much depends on what you are buying :shock:
Yes, khor kha moo, som tam, fried fish and steamed rice. Plus a 70 baht large bottle of Chang. A feast cheaper than chips, and a treat. You don't even have to cook it yourself. Has to be a benefit of living here!
buksida

Post by buksida »

In my experience grocery shopping is cheaper in the UK and eating out is cheaper in TH. Fuel is cheaper in TH but cars are cheaper in the UK. My monthly family food bill is more in Thailand than it was in the UK for the same sort of produce, but my energy and utility bills are cheaper in TH.

The concept of a place being "cheap" is a flawed one, it all depends on where you've come from, what the exchange rates are, what currencies you're using, what your own financial status is, what kind of lifestyle you lead, and what the current economic climate is like in each country. Everyone has a different situation so everyone will have a different take on it, its like arguing about apples and oranges.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:02 pm In my experience grocery shopping is cheaper in the UK and eating out is cheaper in TH. Fuel is cheaper in TH but cars are cheaper in the UK. My monthly family food bill is more in Thailand than it was in the UK for the same sort of produce, but my energy and utility bills are cheaper in TH.

The concept of a place being "cheap" is a flawed one, it all depends on where you've come from, what the exchange rates are, what currencies you're using, what your own financial status is, what kind of lifestyle you lead, and what the current economic climate is like in each country. Everyone has a different situation so everyone will have a different take on it, its like arguing about apples and oranges.
YUP!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Buksida's post above sums it all up perfectly IMO. Of course, the simple fact is that for many expats, money isn't really the issue.

As I mentioned on another thread, and as others have also stated, direct comparisons between costs in different countries can be extremely difficult as well as misleading. What can't be disputed, however, is that when I first arrived in Thailand 14 years ago, and for the next several years, Thailand WAS a cheap place to live. Now, not so much.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:02 pm The concept of a place being "cheap" is a flawed one, it all depends on where you've come from, what the exchange rates are, what currencies you're using, what your own financial status is, what kind of lifestyle you lead, and what the current economic climate is like in each country. Everyone has a different situation so everyone will have a different take on it, its like arguing about apples and oranges.
Spot on buks :thumb: - couldn't agree more. Having been lucky enough to have travelled to many places around the world, I've experienced different lifestyles, cultures and certainly product availability/pricing. All has to be put into perspective. Always makes me laugh when you see some of these surveys for the Most Expensive City in the World" based on the same "shopping basket"...... Absolute b*ll*cks. :roll:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.