Men and their mistresses

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Men and their mistresses

Post by Nereus »

Does this belong here? More Thai specific but a true reflection on life in the Land of Farces.(a long article)
.........................................................................................................

Men and their mistresses

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... recent_box

In Thailand infidelity is a male privilege in a culture that exerts power and pain on many women

After Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's suggestion of gik laws banning infidelity made headlines, he claimed he had been joking because "housewives in the audience looked sleepy so I was threatening their husbands".

His joke in a speech in Nakhon Ratchasima prompted a debate over whether such a law could be enforced, but there was no debate over an assumption behind his comments: infidelity is for men.

In fact, Thailand doesn't have a culture of infidelity as claimed by many commentators; it has a culture of men and their mistresses.

A prime example is this year's hit TV soap opera Sanaeha in which the happily married male lead Don is convinced to continue his affair with co-worker Mind after she tells him that she understands the rules around infidelity well.

Her argument reminds us that in Thai society there is such a thing as an acceptable mistress -- one who follows the conventions of the well-defined, regulated role set out for her. As long as she doesn't overstep her boundaries (like Mind unfortunately did by giving Don HPV and then kidnapping his daughter), it's a harmless arrangement.

.........................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
bert91157

Re: Men and their mistresses

Post by bert91157 »

acceptable mistress
Not in my house theres not :tsk:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Duly noted. Bert, it's more common than you think..
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

On a totally off topic thing, re the PM's spouting of gems like these, there are apparent moves to remove tax exemption for the first 20,000 baht in anyone's bank account. Which would mean all interest in a bank account would be taxable. They must be getting desperate.. Was in the Bangkok Post a few days ago..
:offtopic:
วินเชนท์
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Nereus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:08 am Does this belong here? More Thai specific but a true reflection on life in the Land of Farces.(a long article)
.........................................................................................................

Men and their mistresses

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... recent_box

In Thailand infidelity is a male privilege in a culture that exerts power and pain on many women

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nereus ...You quoted and I agree "In Thailand infidelity is a male privilege in a culture that exerts power and pain on many women" In the western world the opposite is a true , due to the out of control feminism :D
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

VincentD wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:27 pm On a totally off topic thing, re the PM's spouting of gems like these, there are apparent moves to remove tax exemption for the first 20,000 baht in anyone's bank account. Which would mean all interest in a bank account would be taxable. They must be getting desperate.. Was in the Bangkok Post a few days ago..
:offtopic:
This could lead to multiple small bank accts. or over-stuffed mattresses.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Getting back to men and their mistresses: If Mr.VS told me he was going off for the night to sleep with his mia noi, he'd find his clothes in the klong outside our house the next morning. On the other hand, from what I've seen and talked about with students, very few of them have both mum and dad living together at home. The nuclear family as we see it in the west doesn't seem to apply here. Often dad is working in another province or country and, to them, it seems totally acceptable. My parents spent over 50 years together, sleeping together, living together, before my dad sadly died. Never a night apart.

I also know of a female student (who had graduated) who was going out with one of my western colleagues. She slept with him and, obviously, he thought it was real love. One day she asked him to meet her in Bangkok and she casually introduced him to her boyfriend. :shock: As far as he was he was concerned, it was the end of their relationship. As far as she was concerned, she could see nothing wrong with having 'two on the go' at the same time.

It's not just the men.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Lets think about the wife in her fifties who has NO interest in sex anymore. Het husband, on the other hand, is still in need of a little. Which is preferable--- for him to visit a mia noi every Tuesday evening or go trolling the bars with his friends.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 am Lets think about the wife in her fifties who has NO interest in sex anymore.
How is this the case? This sort of situation doesn’t happen overnight (except for rare cases of swift, sudden illness) so how does it occur? My assumption is that it’s a slow, insidious change in attitude that may or may not be accelerated by the menopause but the husband plays at least an equal role. Lack of understanding, affection, interest and communication can all contribute to a couple “falling out of love”. I cannot imagine a loving relationship that doesn’t involve some kind of physical component, intercourse is only one form. If there is no interest or attempt to be interested in anything physical then I think it’s time to cut and run, acknowledging responsibility on both sides. Getting some nookie elsewhere is a quick fix that doesn’t address the root cause.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Historically it has been very common that men have had mistresses in most countries. Where certain religions permit polygamy this probably reduced its occurrence. A common requirement is that to effectively maintain a mistress the man must have sufficient funds and it goes without saying that money, power and influence go together and play their part and thus the men who have mistresses can be pillars of society. The example these leaders set is then perceived by the masses as acceptable. Things have changed globally and although now generally criticized it still goes on although normally discreetly. Things are a little different here which might explain why it is more acceptable.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Who remembers Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-pudding? Their clients were 'pillars of society'!!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:26 pm Who remembers Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-pudding? Their clients were 'pillars of society'!!!
A bit before my time but there is a good movie about it with John Hurt.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 am Lets think about the wife in her fifties who has NO interest in sex anymore.
Most likely, it's NO interest in sex with the husband anymore. :wink:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
komments
Rookie
Rookie

Post by komments »

bert91157 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:14 pm
acceptable mistress
Not in my house theres not :tsk:
Not in mine either. I married a Latino. She would destroy me. And my daughters would applaud it!
komments
Rookie
Rookie

Post by komments »

Vital Spark wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:48 am My parents spent over 50 years together, sleeping together, living together, before my dad sadly died. Never a night apart.
Mine too - and my wife's parents as well. We had excellent examples of faithfulness. We have been married 40 years which seems to be unusual these days.