Farang Contempt for Thais?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Farang Contempt for Thais?

Post by VincentD »

The bloke coming for his two weeks of fun (aka the two week millionaire) may feel contempt, perhaps not understanding that there is life outside of that sphere. What he may not see is the contempt for him, the locals knowing he only has enough dosh for his two weeks.
The higher you move up the strata, the more you see how the locals tolerate the farang.

When people are treated with respect, they in turn return that respect. And as far as laziness or competence goes, it is the same in most countries. The only difference is usually the language being spoken.
วินเชนท์
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Farang Contempt for Thais?

Post by handdrummer »

I agree with VincentD, when I lived in Los Angeles the white people talked about the "lazy Mexicans". Whenever I needed hard labor done I would go to the valley and on the corners would see many Mexican men looking for work. I'd find the one's wearing boots or work shoes and hire them for the day. I've never seen anyone work harder or more consistently than these laborers. They'd never complain, stop only for lunch, that I'd provide, and be thankful for the work. I suspect that's also true in most countries.