Farang Contempt for Thais?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Farang Contempt for Thais?

Post by Big Boy »

Just an observation..................

My son's girlfriend is a really good worker. Cleaning is her hobby, but she's a fantastic cook as well (there is actually a thread on here where people used to rave about a restaurant where she was the cook). As an ex-employer, I would not say that about anybody if I did not believe it. She is so good that she's never out of work long. Jobs tend to disappear as employers have to go back to life in their own country.

She's just gone through her longest period of semi-employment since I've known her. In that time she visited several potential Farang employers for interview, and the response was always, we've got others to talk to, we'll let you know. Not once in that period has anybody had the decency to phone her back to say no thank you, which in my opinion was well out of order. Whilst waiting for the phone call, she was not seeking other employment.

OK, she's fully employed again now.

As an employer, I always informed people of an interview's outcome, and tried to give helpful feedback. That could be very hard, but the decent thing to do. Maybe I was just too nice :D .

Seriously, if somebody has the decency to turn up for an interview, surely the prospective employer can manage a 2 minute phone call to break the news. Everybody knows an interview is a lottery, but how are you expected to know that you have not been successful, and start looking elsewhere?

Is this common practice everywhere, or just Farangs having no respect for Thais? It must leave a sour taste in the mouths of Thais.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Farang Contempt for Thais?

Post by Nereus »

To me, the simple answer to that is: if the potential employer is too ignorant to make a simple phone call or text, then they have done you a favour, because you are better off not working for them!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Are you suggesting that this is a phenomenon particular to Thailand and particular to Farang employer-Thai candidates. Sadly this is very general everywhere.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I was asking if it was particular to Thailand? If it happens everywhere, I think it is disgusting, and I'm glad I personally never sank that low.

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Its everywhere. Sadly, common decency has eroded away over the last 30 years.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is sad, and I'm with Nereus 100% on this one.

Points 41; Position 18
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

It is all too common in UK too as I found out when I was unemployed.
You just hear nothing. No phone call not even an email that costs nothing except a couple of minutes time.
Politeness and good manners have fallen greatly in many places I fear.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

This must be a case amongst the UK and Thailand.
I guess that the good manners only exists in Scandinavia then.
As oakdale160 is, I believe, an American, they*re not more polite there as well.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Bite your tongue Norsemam, I am Canadian. Canadians are generally over-polite but this happens in Canada too. Eh?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

RCer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:53 pm Its everywhere. Sadly, common decency has eroded away over the last 30 years.
Sad but true - I honestly thought it was the arrogance that was China... unfortunately not. :roll:
Big Boy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 pm It is sad, and I'm with Nereus 100% on this one.
:agree: 100% - I have been responsible for the hiring and firing of staff for numerous positions over many years. Not something I like quite frankly, but at least I'll have the decency of speaking to them at least over the phone if not face to face (I'd be an embarrassment to my father if not)
Kraka's Dad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:09 pm It is all too common in UK too as I found out when I was unemployed.
You just hear nothing. No phone call not even an email that costs nothing except a couple of minutes time.
Politeness and good manners have fallen greatly in many places I fear.

Too true unfortunately... :roll: :cry:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I used to employ people in the UK, and I'd send a letter to every applicant that I didn't interview thanking them for their application and wishing them luck (I'm not talking about hundreds here...). As far as those I interviewed, I'd explain why they didn't get the job. This was generally pre-mobile phones, so it was a nicely written letter. It's a darn sight easier now just to call them on their phones.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Vital Spark wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 pm It's a darn sight easier now just to call them on their phones.

VS
Well yes, but at least they have a respectful response rather than complete ignorance. I'm not too sure today's generation would even appreciate a nicely written, polite letter - or am I just being "negative".....

[EDIT] Can't think of the last letter I received - other from the Bank or the Tax Man!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I've worked in HR for well over 20 years and over that time there has been a general lowering of the standards both displayed by employers and expected by applicants. Whilst there has always been the "speculative CV" submitted not in response to an advertised vacancy, the advent of the internet/email means that at the push of a button anybody with a bit of research can send their CV to a magnitude of companies, irrespective of whether they have any vacancies. A lot of Companies simply don't have the time to respond to unsolicited application of CV's.

When it comes to feedback following an interview, that's an entirely different matter and personally I have always ensured (memory willing) to advise applicants if they have been unsuccessful and even providing feedback that might help them next time - judging by the comments posted, this doesn't seem to be anywhere near as widespread as it was maybe 10 years ago - a sign of the times I'm afraid.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:19 pm Bite your tongue Norsemam, I am Canadian. Canadians are generally over-polite but this happens in Canada too. Eh?
God bless the Canadians. Good people, very close to the North-Europeans way of life AND so much politer than the rest of the world.
If it hadn't been for Toronto and the lovely Canadian hospitality that included 'Little Norway' we all would have been suffering from the Nazis way of governing the world. Not mush politely I'm afraid.
If you don't know know what Little Norway is I suggest you google it before you answer my post.
That has something to do with respect and politely awareness.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My daughter is the HR manager for a large company. She's said in the past that applications/cv's are commonly ignored unless an interview is imminent. However, following an interview, she's never heard of the outcome being ignored. The result will almost always be communicated by e-mail or phone call. Most jobs are sought through agencies these days in which case the agency will respond.
Interviews being ignored sounds more akin to here than in the west. If we're talking farangs, then I'd guess they're people who've never been in a hiring position before. Having said that, it's common courtesy.