Farang Contempt for Thais?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Farang Contempt for Thais?

Post by handdrummer »

Courtesy is no longer common.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:32 pm No, I was asking if it was particular to Thailand? If it happens everywhere, I think it is disgusting, and I'm glad I personally never sank that low.
Yes, I too thought that you were asking in relation to Thailand. The example that you have quoted appears to be specific to some Farang business owners here in Thailand.

It has nothing to do with HR departments of big companies, even big Thai companies. If a local small business owner is of a mind set to do what you have posted, then I doubt that he / she will remain in business very long. It is a very simple matter to include in an advertisement for staff that: "only short listed applicants will be notified". Even more so at an interview, and it may not be just a case of treating Thai applicants in such a manner, but more a case of general attitude to the rest of us. It is also relevant to just what type of business the owner is running.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Peroni »

In Australia, for lower level jobs, you are lucky if the company acknowledges receipt of your application/CV. Then if you are selected for an interview, the advice regarding the interview will be via email, and sometimes the interview is conducted over the phone at a specified time.

Advice as to failure or feedback about performance etc. almost non existent. Companies, it appears do not want to waste time with people who are unsuccessful, only bothering to communicate with the winning candidate. Short term cost saving at the expense of long term public relations.

Gone are the old days where people were a valued part of the enterprise, now just a statistic.

John :cheers:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Norseman wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 pm This must be a case amongst the UK and Thailand.
I guess that the good manners only exists in Scandinavia then.
As oakdale160 is, I believe, an American, they*re not more polite there as well.
not in Denmark

:cheers: :cheers:
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

It is not a foreigner/Thai thing; That is worth a separate thread regarding how foreigners think of Thai people and the contempt that many show openly.

Very rude not to let people know they have not been successful and give feedback as to why.

Crazy 88
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I'm afraid I was judging people by my own standards, which I assumed was the norm.

I don't think we need a seperate thread, mine was just one example.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Peroni wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:32 am In Australia, for lower level jobs, you are lucky if the company acknowledges receipt of your application/CV. Then if you are selected for an interview, the advice regarding the interview will be via email, and sometimes the interview is conducted over the phone at a specified time.

Advice as to failure or feedback about performance etc. almost non existent. Companies, it appears do not want to waste time with people who are unsuccessful, only bothering to communicate with the winning candidate. Short term cost saving at the expense of long term public relations.

Gone are the old days where people were a valued part of the enterprise, now just a statistic.

John :cheers:
100% agree. They used to be what was called "Personnel Departments" referring to dealing with people, now they a called "Human Resources Departments" so now the big corporations and small firms have tuned us from Personnel (human beings) to Resources....Just like in the Matrix :roll:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

As other people have stated, this happens all over the world. I only ever received rejection letters for about half the jobs I applied for. Others I had to chase up. Interestingly, I once chased up a job that I hadn't heard back from after an interview and the timing intersected perfectly with the company being fed up with the person they had selected so he was replaced with me.

I have to admit, seeing the thread title "Farang Contempt for Thais", I was expecting something a little juicer than a story of somebody not hearing back from a job application :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry :oops:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you'd like to experience contempt for farangs, go to Home Pro and ask where a product is located and be dismissed with a wave of the hand pointing in an amorphous direction. Or is that done to everyone?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 am If you'd like to experience contempt for farangs, go to Home Pro and ask where a product is located and be dismissed with a wave of the hand pointing in an amorphous direction. Or is that done to everyone?
Done to everyone until you get to a person who works in that particular area. They will guide you right to the specific product.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Or the taxi driver parked at River City in Bangkok yesterday who demanded 300 baht to take me to Hua Lamphong MRT, which is in reality, a 35 baht trip. He wasn't best pleased when I took his photo and that of his car reg, which my other half has sent to River City management demanding an explanation. He was parked in their private area for buses and the like.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is that contempt, or just being mugged? Another friend did something similar a few days ago when being robbed by a Bangkok taxi, and felt he was lucky not to get stabbed - petty sums, but would that have been armed robbery here?

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:53 am
handdrummer wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 am If you'd like to experience contempt for farangs, go to Home Pro and ask where a product is located and be dismissed with a wave of the hand pointing in an amorphous direction. Or is that done to everyone?
Done to everyone until you get to a person who works in that particular area. They will guide you right to the specific product.
"get to a person who works in that particular area." ah, that's rub. mostly I see 4 to 10 employees hanging around, talking to each other and rarely anyone in a specific area of "expertise." after I found Boon Tavorn I never went back to Home Pro. at BT everyone I talked to was helpful and knowledgeable and if they didn't know where something was found someone who did. whenever I asked for something that person always accompanied me to the area where the product was or where someone knew about it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's a balancing act in these stores. There are many foreigners, me included, who just want to browse but find they are being shadowed by a clerk, for what purpose I'm not sure. 1) To possibly be helpful if needed. 2) To make sure we're directed to the items where he gets the highest commission. 3) Thinking we're all shoplifters. I don't think those practices breed contempt, just annoyance. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source