Farang Contempt for Thais?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Farang Contempt for Thais?

Post by oakdale160 »

The most bizarre is when they follow you, but when you ask a question about locating something they have a way of waving their hand in a general direction but NOT pointing and that general direction often turns out to be incorrect.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

To me, Homepro and Global House are the equivalent of Home Depot in the US. Thai Watsadu is like Lowes.

In the US, if you need something and know exactly what you need and where it is, go to Home Depot.

If you need help finding something but know what you're looking for go to Lowes.

If you need some advice and to locate an item, go to Ace Hardware. (notice I did not list Ace in the opening, there is no comparison here).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just zipping back to the OP, credit where credit is due, one of those prospective employers has come back to my son's girlfriend, and offered her employment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am Just zipping back to the OP, credit where credit is due, one of those prospective employers has come back to my son's girlfriend, and offered her employment.
Excellent
loua_oz

Post by loua_oz »

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 am It's a balancing act in these stores. There are many foreigners, me included, who just want to browse but find they are being shadowed by a clerk, for what purpose I'm not sure. 1) To possibly be helpful if needed. 2) To make sure we're directed to the items where he gets the highest commission. 3) Thinking we're all shoplifters. I don't think those practices breed contempt, just annoyance. Pete :cheers:
Pete this is rife in Dubai too, but quite simply it's Philippines shop staff being told they must do it, and who are scared of losing their job if they don't hover waiting for you glance at them for assistance. Also of course in some stores if they help you select an item they put their own little sticker on it before you take it to the checkout, which I presume might be some tiny commission for them.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

This thread started off with a lady not being contacted after an interview for a job which she eventually got and wandered on to Home Pro??????

Over the 20 years I have been here I have witnessed many examples of contempt and general dismissiveness of Thai people by foreigners; Lack of respect mainly, combined with general ignorance. Some of the behavior I have witnessed and comments either overheard or said directly to me make my eyes roll :roll:

Bloke in a Chang vest drinking a beer on his motorbike outside Immigration office before standing over the officer and banging his fist on the counter when he has been informed his paperwork is not complete then addressing other foreigners to the effect that, and I quote " They are all monkeys" Most people waiting in the office were with Thai partners. Also seen a guy slap the glasses off an immigration officer who had politely told him he had overstayed and would have to pay the fine :roll:

In general it is ignorance and people thinking they are living in the days of the Raj that pisses me off. I could write a 3 page post but will leave that to others in the hope that at least one person will learn some respect. Some quotes below said directly to me.

" They are ALL lazy" " They are ALL stupid" " They are ALL hookers" " All they want is our money" " You cannot trust any Thai" " They are ALL trying to rip you off" " Thailand needs us we do not need them" Just a small selection said to me in front of Thai people. Sweeping statements that make me wonder why those people live here.

The above I have heard multiple times, often with profanity and vehemence.

Pure ignorance from a friend that dropped by to see how I was doing on a new project. I simply told him what I was doing ad had employed a lady to help out for 30k per month ( Half what she as earning in Bangkok) Response was " F in hell thats a lot of money for a Thai!!!!!" The lady has a university degree and 20 years work experience. She does all the administration, accounting, translating of legal documents, deals with govt depts and land office, controls all staff, translates for us with architects and engineers, controls the build teams to follow our conditions, does most of the purchasing and works 7 days a week. And 30k is too much????? Find me a bilingual, spoken and written, foreigner with the same connections that will work for that money.

I am not suggesting it is a 1 way street but you only have to look at some foreigners attitudes/behaviour and wonder why some of us are tarred with the same brush as the bad ones?

Crazy 88
loua_oz

Post by loua_oz »

A long write-up, I read it with interest.
That could be summed up in short: Thai society, under the thin glaze of modernity, is still a backward, even a feudal place.
With all the coups, they are still richer an happier than Burma or Cambodia.

There, the foreigners are accepted but treated as insects.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

crazy88 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:43 pm This thread started off with a lady not being contacted after an interview for a job which she eventually got and wandered on to Home Pro??????

Over the 20 years I have been here I have witnessed many examples of contempt and general dismissiveness of Thai people by foreigners; Lack of respect mainly, combined with general ignorance. Some of the behavior I have witnessed and comments either overheard or said directly to me make my eyes roll :roll:

[etc. etc.]

Crazy 88
Excellent post. You may have to change your moniker to 'sensible88'...
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

loua_oz wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:28 pm A long write-up, I read it with interest.
That could be summed up in short: Thai society, under the thin glaze of modernity, is still a backward, even a feudal place.
With all the coups, they are still richer an happier than Burma or Cambodia.

There, the foreigners are accepted but treated as insects.
loua_oz, in another thread you said that Thais treat foreigners like insects?

Your comment about feudal society is true, and applies to cities in many countries that have the trappings of modernity without the history of social behaviour to underpin it.

It is what it is, I don't have a problem with it, which is why I live here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

crazy88 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:43 pm This thread started off with a lady not being contacted after an interview for a job which she eventually got and wandered on to Home Pro??????

I've thought about this since it was posted. Going back to the OP, that's history now. One of several prospective employers came back to her. However I think we've established that such ignorance is worldwide. I was wrong thinking it happened only here.
Some quotes below said directly to me.

" They are ALL lazy" " They are ALL stupid" " They are ALL hookers" " All they want is our money" " You cannot trust any Thai" " They are ALL trying to rip you off" " Thailand needs us we do not need them" Just a small selection said to me in front of Thai people. Sweeping statements that make me wonder why those people live here.
I have been guilty of most of these statements from time to time :oops: , but I'm not sure I've referred to ALL.

They are lazy - Many Thais, especially the men are very lazy. I have been to my wife's village many times, and I can honestly say that I've never seen a man do more than 10 minutes work. I know a few here in Hua Hin who live off their wife's earnings, and just can't be bothered to go out to work themselves. However, I wouldn't say ALL Thais are lazy. I know quite a few Thais that put in a honest day's work. So I might use ALL if referring to the village, but not general Thailand.

They are ALL stupid - I'd only use this in reference to individual stupid people, and we all do stupid things from time to time.

They are ALL hookers - Hookers is not a word I'd use, but I'll admit that back in the 80s when I first started coming to Thailand, I was under the impression that ALL Thai women would want my body - it was quite an eye opener when it was only 50% :D . However, that 50% was probably down to the areas I frequented, and after my first holiday, I was probably guilty of telling people back in the UK that Thailand was wall to wall sex. If I'd continued frequenting the same places, I doubt my opinion would have changed. I would not dream of saying that these days, but I can understand why some do say it.

You cannot trust any Thai - I don't think I've ever said that. Thailand is like anywhere, good and bad people.

They are ALL trying to rip you off - This is one I've used many times, but I don't think I've used ALL. I hate shopping here, and because barter is the norm, and I won't barter, I am at a distinct disadvantage. I pick something up, ask how much, get told a ridiculous price, and I drop quickly, and I'm gone. To me it's even worse when they shout after me, "I do special price for you." That just confirms to me that they've tried to rob me. So yes, I often feel as though Thais are trying to rip me off.

Thailand needs us we do not need them - I don't think I've ever said that.

So yes, I am guilty from time to time, I find shopping here almost impossible. Because of bartering, I'll never get over that, and my family have to do most of my shopping. Outside of that, I'd much rather be here than in the UK.

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Having read the posters few negative comments about Thailand it seems to me they must be living in a different world than me .They are hard working people and very easy to get along if treated in a respectful and friendly way .

To me people with positive attitudes get positive responses and visa versa no matter where you live in the world :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We obviously do live in different worlds. I thought it was a well known fact that many have to leave Isaan because there is no work, For most of those men who remain in the villages I've frequented (and there have been a few), the hardest part of their day is removing the top from the whisky bottle.

The only time it differs is at harvest and planting time, but even then the women do most of the work, and even those that work, give up for the day when the sun gets too hot (not later than 9am).

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

I cannot argue about that! Having not been in villages in Isan,and it seems a very myopic point of view to use that as a generalization of all , however I have worked with Thai men in a very demanding industry and they were second to none as far as work is concerned and in all kinds of weather conditions :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did not use ALL. I think you need to read my post again. I said:
I wouldn't say ALL Thais are lazy. I know quite a few Thais that put in a honest day's work. So I might use ALL if referring to the village, but not general Thailand.[/url]

Points 41; Position 18