Hua Hin's Finest (police in Hua Hin)

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Hua Hin's Finest (police in Hua Hin)

Post by handdrummer »

I think that by now nearly everyone, Thai and Farang, know that Thailand has a culture of corruption. It's exists at every level of society from the car wash attendant, who accepts a bribe to move your car to the front of the line, to the traffic cop, who invents an offence in order to receive a bribe not to write you a ticket, to the commissioner who accepts a bribe to speed up your building permit, to the highest levels of government. The Thais accept this as a way of life and as long as they benefit from it are content to let it go on. 2000 yrs. of tradition will not be changed by our finger pointing. Western governments have tried, unsuccessfully, to change Asia, Thailand in particular, for over 200 yrs. and it's only bought them frustration. Perhaps, if would just look at the situations, without pointing fingers at them, we might come to some understanding and finally relax into the country. As a friend, who's been living here for nearly 50 yrs., told me when I first arrived; "You have to leave your DNA at the door." After 4 yrs. in Thailand I'm beginning to understand that. At the same time I go out of my way to avoid the police.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ralfredo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Big Boy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pmIf you give them the opportunity, of course they will fine (or accept a bribe from) you. It's what police all over the world would do.
Police all over the world accepts bribes??? I think you would put yourself in a really bad situation if you tried to bribe a Swedish police officer. And I guess the same goes for most western European countries, the US and Australia for example.

Of course there are scum bags in every police force but I think the percentage that would accept a bribe in Sweden is close to infinitesimal.
Methinks somebody has been editing my comment :wink:

Well done, you made me laugh, thinking I'd made such a blunder :laugh:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin's Finest (police in Hua Hin)

Post by huahin4ever »

handdrummer wrote:I think that by now nearly everyone, Thai and Farang, know that Thailand has a culture of corruption. It's exists at every level of society from the car wash attendant, who accepts a bribe to move your car to the front of the line, to the traffic cop, who invents an offence in order to receive a bribe not to write you a ticket, to the commissioner who accepts a bribe to speed up your building permit, to the highest levels of government. The Thais accept this as a way of life and as long as they benefit from it are content to let it go on. 2000 yrs. of tradition will not be changed by our finger pointing. Western governments have tried, unsuccessfully, to change Asia, Thailand in particular, for over 200 yrs. and it's only bought them frustration. Perhaps, if would just look at the situations, without pointing fingers at them, we might come to some understanding and finally relax into the country. As a friend, who's been living here for nearly 50 yrs., told me when I first arrived; "You have to leave your DNA at the door." After 4 yrs. in Thailand I'm beginning to understand that. At the same time I go out of my way to avoid the police.
Best post so far. It is spot on, and corruption here will not go away for a long time, if it ever will. Sad to say this, but we are guests and we just have to live with it.
YNWA
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Ralfredo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Big Boy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pmIf you give them the opportunity, of course they will fine (or accept a bribe from) you. It's what police all over the world would do.
Police all over the world accepts bribes??? I think you would put yourself in a really bad situation if you tried to bribe a Swedish police officer. And I guess the same goes for most western European countries, the US and Australia for example.

Of course there are scum bags in every police force but I think the percentage that would accept a bribe in Sweden is close to infinitesimal.

Of course you cannot pay a bribe in the US because the minute you try and put your hand in your pocket the officer would shoot to kill. :shock:

Actually always amazes me how quick US cops are to shoot, and usually shoot to kill. At least Hua Hin police are a trillion times better than that. :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin's Finest (police in Hua Hin)

Post by Big Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am
handdrummer wrote:I think that by now nearly everyone, Thai and Farang, know that Thailand has a culture of corruption. It's exists at every level of society from the car wash attendant, who accepts a bribe to move your car to the front of the line, to the traffic cop, who invents an offence in order to receive a bribe not to write you a ticket, to the commissioner who accepts a bribe to speed up your building permit, to the highest levels of government. The Thais accept this as a way of life and as long as they benefit from it are content to let it go on. 2000 yrs. of tradition will not be changed by our finger pointing. Western governments have tried, unsuccessfully, to change Asia, Thailand in particular, for over 200 yrs. and it's only bought them frustration. Perhaps, if would just look at the situations, without pointing fingers at them, we might come to some understanding and finally relax into the country. As a friend, who's been living here for nearly 50 yrs., told me when I first arrived; "You have to leave your DNA at the door." After 4 yrs. in Thailand I'm beginning to understand that. At the same time I go out of my way to avoid the police.
Best post so far. It is spot on, and corruption here will not go away for a long time, if it ever will. Sad to say this, but we are guests and we just have to live with it.
And the alternative is.......................?

Pay a proper fine, which would be twice as much, and would be a lose/lose situation. The current method works, and most people are happy with it. Many outsiders find this element of Thai life very appealing.

Yes, it's annoying to see your punishment go straight into an officer's back pocket. However, the correct punishment would take a lot longer to process, and the amount doubled. I would guess e.g. if you never had your driving licence with you, you would not be able to continue either.

It doesn't bother me either way - I try to stay on the right side of the law, although it infuriates me to see people that have been caught bang to rights being allowed to continue their journey, with the officer fully aware that the person is still breaking the law. I wonder how that officer would feel if he sent somebody on their way without a helmet, and they came off their bike 100 yards further up the road, suffering severe head injury?

My example of Immigration in the OP is typical of what happens when things are done properly. I had to pay my fine regardless - I was guilty. Had the officer put the fine straight into the the tea fund, I'd have been out of there in 2 minutes. As it was I had to wait for several documents to be raised in triplicate, countersigned etc - must have taken best part of 30 minutes. Had the officer not been honest, I'd have probably paid half the amount, and had no waiting time.

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Recently a farang tourist without international driving license had to pay 1000 Baht. This stupid guy should have gone to police station the fine is 400 Baht. and he would receive a receipt.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Stupid certainly. No such thing as an International Driving Licence. If his own country licence is in English and bears a photograph, that's all that's needed.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm Stupid certainly. No such thing as an International Driving Licence. If his own country licence is in English and bears a photograph, that's all that's needed.
Another farang told me that his driving license is also in english, he had to pay, because not accepted. Maybe a trick to extort money by this mafia.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

europtimiste wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:41 pm
HHTel wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm Stupid certainly. No such thing as an International Driving Licence. If his own country licence is in English and bears a photograph, that's all that's needed.
Another farang told me that his driving license is also in english, he had to pay, because not accepted. Maybe a trick to extort money by this mafia.
When I was pulled over at a road block in across from market village the officer said my U.S. license wasn't valid here and I needed an international license. I showed him my expired international license, he photographed both licenses and waved me on my way. The international license is really just a money scam. In order to get one you have to have a local license and if you have a local license it proves that you have the right to drive. If you're able to drive in country a you should be able to drive in country b. Ah but that would to easy and wouldn't garner any money for anyone. It could be considered a legal bribe.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:39 pm
europtimiste wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:41 pm

When I was pulled over at a road block in across from market village the officer said my U.S. license wasn't valid here and I needed an international license. I showed him my expired international license, he photographed both licenses and waved me on my way. The international license is really just a money scam. In order to get one you have to have a local license and if you have a local license it proves that you have the right to drive. If you're able to drive in country a you should be able to drive in country b. Ah but that would to easy and wouldn't garner any money for anyone. It could be considered a legal bribe.
In your country as well in mine, if I request an international driving license first I must have a national driving license and for the international one I have to pay for it. Is that fair ? So legal bribe is worldwide and legalized by gangster governments.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guys, this thread is about Hua Hin's police, not International Driving Permits, and requirements to drive in Thailand.

:offtopic:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, BB. You're right of course. IDP's are for another thread.

I, personally, have never had a problem with the HH police. Frustrating at times but that's the way it's done here. I have had occasions outside of HH were police were pulling a fast one. I have the number of a friendly policeman in HH who I have called on occasion and after he has spoken to the 'out of town' police, I'm waved on. Glad I live in HH and not one of the more infamous jurisdictions in BKK.