The Royal Cremation Ceremonies

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

The Royal Cremation Ceremonies

Post by LolaBeltran »

In my humble opinion, having witnessed and/or been a part of countless military ceremonials, there is not a culture or people on earth to match what the Thai people pulled off today between the Grand Palace and Sanam Luang. It was not a complete surprise because a few years ago I was fortunate enough to be in Bangkok to watch the rehearsal for the cremation of Princess Petcharat and I expected the same amazing spectacle this time.The incredible respect of the Thai people for their history, their absolute mastery of arts and crafts from flower arranging to sculpture, their creation of the stunning architecture of the Royal Crematorium on Sanam Luang all came together in this remarkable and fitting tribute to beloved King Rama 9.

In borrowing from British military norms, King Rama 5 and the Thai people took things to a whole other level and made it their own. The visuals are much like going from black and white to full, living color (pink busbies, bright yellow artillery regt jackets!) Together with their marching precision (perfect slow march!) carefully researched and executed historical costumes, intertwined with ancient Buddhist traditions. . .all of this shows a dedication to history that included ancient instruments, 200 victory drums and hand winches for moving the royal urn from chariot to chariot ( all carefully restored museum pieces!)I am in awe of the work and dedication that went into the intricate choreography of hundreds of different components. Amazing Thailand! Amazing Thai culture! Amazing Thai people.

In addition, the TV coverage was flawless with spectacular camera work and incredibly beautiful pictures. The English language announcer was well prepared, interesting to listen to and very informative. Unlike many of his ilk, he did not feel obliged to keep up a continuous chatter and I appreciated his respectful silences.
Big Boy

Re: The Royal Cremation Ceremonies

Post by Big Boy »

We've tried to leave this topic open, but it's starting to move into areas we can not discuss on an open forum. I'm afraid that some comments have been removed and the topic needs to be locked.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18