Thai yodeling...

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Thai yodeling...

Post by Vital Spark »

We have parties going on all around us tonight - thankfully not close enough to be a nuisance - and it sounds like everyone is having a good time. Can anyone tell me the significance of the strange yodeling that Thais do? I can just hear a crooner, possibly singing a folk song, and then some random yodeling thrown into the mix. Is it part of the song, or to wake everyone up? :?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
PeteC

Re: Thai yodeling...

Post by PeteC »

It's associated with Issan and Lao music VS. The history or meaning of it in a song I'm not sure about. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

If they are doing karaoke it could be the strangling of the singer...
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

migrant wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:35 am If they are doing karaoke it could be the strangling of the singer...
One can always hope! :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Normally heard just before a wedding procession is about to start off... one 'yodeler', everyone else responds.. Usually three times..
Also, during celebrations, the Thai version of 'Cheers!' Similar to the Chinese 'Yam Seng' style.. :cheers:
วินเชนท์