The Pros & Cons of Using Aircon

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: The Pros & Cons of Using Aircon

Post by hhfarang »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:01 am A very good point about the humidity hhfarang. I have always sweated more during times of higher humidity, although I always found that was a daytime problem. It never really affected me after dark.

Also interesting about the temperature the aircon drops it to. In our living room, the remote has a built in thermometer. It rarely achieves the required 26C, and will often hover around the 28C mark, although this is more than adequate. It used to worry me at first, until I realised I was comfortable enough anyway.

Out of interest, were you affected by a lot of colds?
No, I don't remember having a cold the entire 10 years I was there (but I must have had at least one!). I take precautions and have rarely had a cold in the last 25 years. If I did have a cold there it would probably have been immediately after travelling by air. That's about the only colds I can remember in many years. It seems that either the germ factory of crowded airports or confined space of an airplane seems to be the best way for me to catch cold.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

hhfarang wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 amIt seems that either the germ factory of crowded airports or confined space of an airplane seems to be the best way for me to catch cold.
It doesn't help that airplane HVAC delivers low humidity air. Dry upper respiratory passages are far easier to be infected than moist ones. I always fly with and frequently use saline nose spray. Also sleep with a cloth surgical mask because it makes your inhales include some of the moist air from your exhales.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Homer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm
hhfarang wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 amIt seems that either the germ factory of crowded airports or confined space of an airplane seems to be the best way for me to catch cold.
It doesn't help that airplane HVAC delivers low humidity air. Dry upper respiratory passages are far easier to be infected than moist ones. I always fly with and frequently use saline nose spray. Also sleep with a cloth surgical mask because it makes your inhales include some of the moist air from your exhales.
That's advice that EVERYONE should take note of. Thanks.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

My only problem with air con is the thermostat is regulated in big fat centigrade degrees. A 2 degree centigrade difference is a 3.6 degree Fahrenheit difference.

When set to 28C, room temp varies between 29 and 27. At 29 the humidity wakes me up unless I went to bed exhausted. It's usually hard to fall asleep again, even after dropping the thermostat a degree. When set to 27, it varies between 28 and 26. The cold wakes me at 26. Usually pulling the blanket partially over me means soon falling asleep. Usually.

When sleeping alone rarely woke up from a decent AC or heater being too hot or too cold until I lived in a metric country. Now it happens more often than not.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Staying in a hotel at the moment - no fans. Aircon last night for the first time in 2 months. This morning my nose is running like a tap.

OK, DM may be correct, it might be just me, but it's too much to be coincidence.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 am Staying in a hotel at the moment - no fans. Aircon last night for the first time in 2 months. This morning my nose is running like a tap.

OK, DM may be correct, it might be just me, but it's too much to be coincidence.
I think it's not a coincidence. When I leave here during the hottest part of the year to travel in cool spring temperatures, my nose runs and and runs and runs.