Thai women second fattest in Asia

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Thai women second fattest in Asia

Post by buksida »

I'm not sure rice is a factor, look at the physique of the women in Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, all countries big on rice.

The Seven-11 virus across Thailand is more likely the culprit.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

How is such a survey carried out. Do they just have those carrying out the survey, sitting in large cities/towns and ignore the rural areas ?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

No complaints from me. I now have two wifes for the price of one. :naughty:
I’ll get my coat.
:run:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm I'm not sure rice is a factor, look at the physique of the women in Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, all countries big on rice.

The Seven-11 virus across Thailand is more likely the culprit.
Thailand has about three times the GDP per capita as those four countries:

Thailand, $16,835, Myanmar, $5,953, Laos, $5,719, Cambodia, $3,719, Vietnam, $6,422.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... per_capita
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

On the other hand, there are more lovely slim ladies in their 20s and 30s here than in any of our home countries.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 am I’m sure that other than diet, one big contributor is the much less exercise the average Thai gets now, compared to yesteryear- now nobody wants to walk anywhere.
Correct, and not exclusive to just Thais. :cheers:
buksida wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm The Seven-11 virus across Thailand is more likely the culprit.
Yep, it's reached almost epidemic levels. :?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

PET wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:21 pm How is such a survey carried out. Do they just have those carrying out the survey, sitting in large cities/towns and ignore the rural areas ?
Yes I agree with you in so far that I have seen many claims saying "Voted the best in Asia" and it transpires that it is from some minor travel magazine which has minimal coverage and many similar claims. We comment on the basis that what is said is correct when common sence tells one that such an irrelevant survey would cost an 'arm and a leg' to carry out. eg coverage throughout all countries in asia for example, and for what purpose. This survey falls into such a category I believe.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good points, but I don't think any survey is even required to see how the nation has ballooned over the last 30 years. and yes, I am a regular visitor to Isaan as well. Ranking in Asia? No idea.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Just been in the Philippines and was astonished at how much junk food they eat there and a lot of fat people. Certainly seemed to be fatter than the Thais.
Seems strange to me that so many Thai women let themselves get fat by eating bad diets and not exercising, while at the same time so many are now getting addicted to cosmetic surgery.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

heartofmidlothian wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:46 pm Just been in the Philippines and was astonished at how much junk food they eat there and a lot of fat people. Certainly seemed to be fatter than the Thais.
Seems strange to me that so many Thai women let themselves get fat by eating bad diets and not exercising, while at the same time so many are now getting addicted to cosmetic surgery.
I've not know a Filipino/Filipina that doesn't salivate when you mention Popeyes (the US fast-food chain that has branches in the Philippines). When they opened in the UAE for the first time it was a feeding frenzy!
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

are Thai men getting fatter in similar proportions to the Thai women? I don't know if that made sense? What i mean is....well in the west it's both, right? Everyone is getting fatter, men and women. Is that the same in Thailand? Or are the Thai men staying slim and it's just the Thai women piling on the pounds?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I don't know about the polls but you can do your own assessment in public places.