Buying Alcohol Restrictions

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
caller
Hero
Hero

Buying Alcohol Restrictions

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 amStupid time restrictions on buying alcohol.
Is this being relaxed now? In Bangkok, you can again buy alcohol at any time at Villa Market. This used to the case, then it was stopped and now you can again - I did so yesterday. Not sure about Hua Hin, although the last time I was there Tesco chained off the alcohol section and Gourmet Market have signs up saying when alcohol can be sold.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Re: Thailand Tourist Friendly?

Post by buksida »

caller wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 am Is this being relaxed now? In Bangkok, you can again buy alcohol at any time at Villa Market. This used to the case, then it was stopped and now you can again - I did so yesterday. Not sure about Hua Hin, although the last time I was there Tesco chained off the alcohol section and Gourmet Market have signs up saying when alcohol can be sold.
Definitely not in Hua Hin - even wholesalers Makro wont sell it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

buksida wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:30 am
caller wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 am Is this being relaxed now? In Bangkok, you can again buy alcohol at any time at Villa Market. This used to the case, then it was stopped and now you can again - I did so yesterday. Not sure about Hua Hin, although the last time I was there Tesco chained off the alcohol section and Gourmet Market have signs up saying when alcohol can be sold.
Definitely not in Hua Hin - even wholesalers Makro wont sell it.
I bought yesterday at Villa at Index out with the hours and have done many times
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
buksida

Post by buksida »

Villa is the only place you can then, nowhere else it seems so the law still stands.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There's a Thai wholesaler on Soi 94 who will sell by the box load at any time. Never known any restrictions.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:49 am There's a Thai wholesaler on Soi 94 who will sell by the box load at any time. Never known any restrictions.
I don't believe the rule applies to wholesalers, as long as you are buying in bulk.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
buksida

Post by buksida »

Then why wont Makro or Tesco sell it out of hours?

I think we're missing the point of the thread here, tourists are not going to wholesalers, they'll pop into a seven eleven - which will not sell it.
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

buksida wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 am Then why wont Makro or Tesco sell it out of hours?

I think we're missing the point of the thread here, tourists are not going to wholesalers, they'll pop into a seven eleven - which will not sell it.
Well Tesco is not a wholesaler and you can purchase in bulk at any time from Makro
MY in BS full of BS.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

You can buy alcohol in bulk, not individual bottles during the hours of restriction. Villa, for some reason, is the exception. Macro wouldn't even let me buy a non-alcoholic beer. My wife tried to explain to them that the label said it was non-alcoholic but they wouldn't budge. Just part of the frustration anytime I go to shop. If I could afford to live at home I'd be on the next plane out of here.
buksida

Post by buksida »

JWWhite wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm Well Tesco is not a wholesaler and you can purchase in bulk at any time from Makro
You cant - we tried it yesterday.

Anyway, this thread is about tourist unfriendliness, which alcohol restrictions without good reason (ie religion) are considered, so lets :offtopic:
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

buksida wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 pm
JWWhite wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm Well Tesco is not a wholesaler and you can purchase in bulk at any time from Makro
I suppose it depends on the amount, but I have certainly done in the recent past.
MY in BS full of BS.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JWWhite wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:04 pm
buksida wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:03 pm
I suppose it depends on the amount, but I have certainly done in the recent past.
I've not tried because a refusal can be embarrassing, but certainly there are plenty of signs up at Makro saying that you can't.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm Macro wouldn't even let me buy a non-alcoholic beer. My wife tried to explain to them that the label said it was non-alcoholic but they wouldn't budge.
Gourmet market sell alcohol free beer at anytime, they stock at least three options (Hite, Paulaner and Khrombacher).
Talk is cheap
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Gourmet Market in Bluport sells alcohol all day long.
YNWA
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

You can buy alcohol out of any mom and pop store at any time, so I really don't see it having an impact on tourism
MY in BS full of BS.