Buying Alcohol Restrictions

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Thailand Tourist Friendly?

Post by europtimiste »

JWWhite wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 pm You can buy alcohol out of any mom and pop store at any time, so I really don't see it having an impact on tourism
We residents know that, but not tourists.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand Tourist Friendly?

Post by caller »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 pm Gourmet Market in Bluport sells alcohol all day long.
That's news to me! They have signs up during the restricted hours stating when alcohol can be purchased and for the chiller section, they pull blinds down - which I ignore to get my chilled aclohol free beer. When did it change?
Talk is cheap
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Thailand Tourist Friendly?

Post by huahin4ever »

caller wrote:
huahin4ever wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 pm Gourmet Market in Bluport sells alcohol all day long.
That's news to me! They have signs up during the restricted hours stating when alcohol can be purchased and for the chiller section, they pull blinds down - which I ignore to get my chilled aclohol free beer. When did it change?
You're probably right. I asumed they were allowed to sell the whole day same as Villa Market. My mistake, sorry ImageImageImage
YNWA
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Buying Alcohol Restrictions

Post by Pleng »

Indeed BluPort has a blanket ban on alcohol sales between 2 and 5pm; not even the restaurants are allowed to sell alcohol in this period.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There should be some quid pro quo in society here. Foreigners are penalized by having to pay a much larger entrance fee at many venues. In turn, Thais should recognize that foreigners are not the problem when buying alcohol and drunk driving. Yes, it would be a huge loss of face for them to admit that and allow 24/7 sales to tourists and foreign residents, but I'll put it down anyway as New Year's Wish #1....to be fulfilled sometime half way through my next lifetime. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Yesterday the bars in Mon Mai area had to stop serving between 2 and 5pm! B10,000 fine and/ or 6 month prison if caught. The notice on the wall said it was to stop accidents due to drink driving!
So I had to drive all the way to Binta to get a beer!!! TIT
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Maybe it is not a bad thing to limit bar opening hours especially during this crazy time of year. I am all for it
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

While I agree with the sentiment, closing local bars with only a couple of customers who have traveled a short distance and leaving the city centre bars open doesn’t make much sense. This is targeting the wrong people again. It’s the guys traveling to Isaan with a case of beer in the car that are the problem.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I bought wine today at Villa, around 3pm. Maybe they paid for a special permit? If so that makes the law BS. That is aside from the fact that the law is BS.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 pm I bought wine today at Villa, around 3pm. Maybe they paid for a special permit? If so that makes the law BS. That is aside from the fact that the law is BS.
Yes Villa Market always sell all day, I didn't know they had ever stopped. I have no idea how that works. Mom and Pop shops do it because they don't care.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My wife just talked to a friend whose husband is a former police colonel and he said, "In the past Villa has been fined for doing this but they continue anyway," I suppose the profits are much greater than the fine and the police are happy to let them do it and collect the fine. win/win.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Family Mart , or at least the one in Borfai, also sell alcohol all day, whereas the 7/11 next door does not.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

You're lucky. The FM near us used to sell all day but started keeping to "the legal hours" about 6 months ago.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Quite surprisingly, my local Mom and Pop shop is abiding by the 'law' as of late. So the MIB must be warning the local shops about penalties for selling 'out of hours'.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes HHTel, I noticed that yesterday. I stopped at a small shop down the road which I often sit and have a beer. The Thai wifey sold me a Chang opened it for me as usual, and then after about 10 minutes realized what she had done and was really concerned and asked me to please keep my beer hidden lol. She also pointed to notice hanging up by the shop entrance that states that from 28/12 to 03/01, alcohol can only be sold during the same 7/11 times.

I can't quite puzzle out how/why these restrictions only apply until the 3rd of Jan. She told me that the police had told them that after the 3rd they can sell as usual. It now seems to me as if the typical restrictions only apply to supermarkets and Mom and Pop shops are exempt.

Anyway, the two Mom and Pop shops closet to my home had no signs up and it was business as usual. In fact, there was even a large gathering of Thais in front of the one shop, with beer bottle and whiskey bottles everywhere, and of course a few motorbikes and cars. Obviously when their party ended at around 8pm, everyone drove away, so it is great to see just how effective these alcohol restrictions are. :shock:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact