Things you had better get used to living in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Things you had better get used to living in Thailand

Post by oakdale160 »

i think that we, the regular posters on the forum need to draw up a definitive list ___Things you just better get used to if you are going to live or spend long periods of time in Thailand because however much you complain they are NOT going to change. Let me start with just 3

Ineffective, corrupt Police
Unbelievably bad driving
Dual pricing.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Things you had better get used to.

Post by brianks »

Did you forget any mention of Immigration office requirements?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Things you had better get used to.

Post by RCer »

Easiest way is to remember, you're not living in the country you came from and gave up all rights when you stepped off the plane.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Things you had better get used to living in Thailand

Post by laphanphon »

Here's 3

Inconsistency is the only thing consistent. Imm a fine example, as the saying goes 'on any given day' and any given IO, themselves even changing their mind with mood.

Right to Free Speech / Press / Opinion.

Always count your change, along with look at the petrol pump for real price.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Most of mine are for Americans:

You won't see a lot of good beef on the supermarket shelves. If you want any all beef hot dogs or bologna you better bring them with you. Most Thais don't eat beef and Muslims raise their own. There are good steaks to be had in restaurants but be careful to ask if they are imported. If you want to try Thai beef bring a very sharp knife, and if you have dentures just forget about it.

M&Ms, Fruit Loops and a lot of other things are made here with different ingredients than in the U.S. If you keep your M&Ms in the fridge, the colors will bleed on your hands while you eat them.

Milk doesn't taste the same as in the U.S........but you'll sort of get used to it.

You won't get any really good potato dough bakery goods like maple bars etc.......you will miss Mexican Food a lot. Chinese food is definitely not like America.......all we have are hot pot restaurants. Lots of good Schnitzel though.

Rubber things like golf grips and shoes will disintegrate and leave tons of little rubber pieces on your wifes floors. You will be asked to clean them all up as they make a big mess.

If you and your English speaking spouse are coming here permanently, one of you had better learn the Thai language, and it isn't easy!

Don't go outside with your shirt off....Thais and some white people even think it's disgusting.

Ladies, cover yourself up.....don't wear your bathing suit to shop or eat out after the beach.
If you go into a temple wear no shorts, dress appropriately.
Never wear your shoes into someone's house or into a temple, and in some retail establishments. If you see shoes outside somewhere, leave yours off too.

Don't Point.....after 29 years my wife is still bitching about me pointing.

When you are at Immigration don't raise your voice due to the stupidity of what you're being asked, and believe me you will want to....actually don't raise your voice in public or in front of Thais.

A lot of seemingly "ignorant" Thai workers are university graduates who have to take the best job available.......they may very well understand you even if they don't show it.

Do not believe people who speak badly of Thais. They are not lazy, stupid, ignorant, greedy etc. as some posters seem to believe. They are just people like you.

I have more but have done enough damage for now......
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

You can save your self a lot of aggravation by reading the book; Do's and Don't in Thailand.

Australian and New Zealand beef and lamb at Makro, Villa and Bluport. You will pay a high price but if you need it, it's there.

Don't expect logic, it doesn't exist here.

Thais are good at memorization and obedience, not so good at thinking and creative problem solving.

What's on the menu is what you get. If there are 4 items with the meal and you want to eliminate 1, the sever won't comprehend. See the above sentence.

Don't expect anything to be like it was back home.

If you have difficulty adapting to ways that are diametrically opposed to your way of doing things, consider living somewhere else.

If you're single find a Thai girlfriend; it helps with translating, finding things and getting around.

Buy a t-shirt that says, I'm not your ATM.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

The one thing you need to get used to is expats bitching about Thailand ----it never stops.
kirkyboy

Post by kirkyboy »

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AsAw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AsAw »

I had to laugh reading these comments. I lived in SK and VN and it appears expats feel the same way throughout Asia.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

dundrillin wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:03 am The one thing you need to get used to is expats bitching about Thailand ----it never stops.
Haven't come across American expats doing that. Hmmmm
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll put my hand up - I do it, but I love my life here :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'm an American and I complain, my passport, on page 3, says I can do that.
Fandango
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Fandango »

I recently signed up here in the hope that there may be some useful postings. I am still looking! In the main it is a series of bitching and moaning from, in the main, people who can’t afford to live here and compare everything with home. Never mind the Thais, some of whom I find delightful, the western estate agents are the biggest bunch of scumbags here!
If, like me, you have lived around Asia you will still find Thailand one of the best bets.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I have nothing at all to complain about. At all. Things that aren't as good as I would like I just shrug. And generally laugh.

Except the often encountered Thai male attitude towards driving. F***ing pathetic 'little man syndrome' aggression. I'm considering a steel baseball bat in my boot/trunk (with cap, mitt and ball, obviously) just in case one day I can't avoid getting out of my car for some reason.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Fandango wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 pm I recently signed up here in the hope that there may be some useful postings. I am still looking! In the main it is a series of bitching and moaning from, in the main, people who can’t afford to live here and compare everything with home. Never mind the Thais, some of whom I find delightful, the western estate agents are the biggest bunch of scumbags here!
If, like me, you have lived around Asia you will still find Thailand one of the best bets.
That's grossly unfair. There are many, many posts here of a helpful, humorous and intelligent nature. I'm not sure which threads you are following. If you want to see some really pathetic whining, shouting and abusing comments, there are other larger and busier Thai online forums that are like a f ***ing kinderkarten.

For the record, I do agree that Thailand is a haven (it's a curate's egg, of course; everywhere is, really), and Hua Hin in particular is a great place to be. Please stay and give HH Forum a fair go! :)